Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread
Quote | Reply
Hi STers,

I think many of us try to live with the glass half full mentality, but during this time it can be really hard. From all angles we get bombarded with what is not possible, lots of people dying, business closing, people getting laid off, a constant stream of negative media, and to a large extent, while under stress, many of us spiraling into attack mode and unleashing a lot of negativity to those around us.

Amidst all of this, it is tough to hold our lives together. Many of us are goal oriented...in sport, in business, in academia, with our families, with our finances.

Suddenly we have a big void of concrete goals on all fronts. The world is uncertain, we have no concrete goals in many aspects of life, we're isolated from human contact, families are under stress, and you can't make heads or tails of life ahead.

So its easy to lose hope that it will get better.

I wanted to start a thread for those who want to hold out a positive outlook. Whether that's having an awesome workout on the trainer, taking an afternoon nap because you can, getting jacked up about shaving a second off an interval split on the treadmill, getting out in your yard and seeing the most blue skies in your life, or the kid in the grocery store on minimum wage risking Covid to check you out at the cash...whatever you want.

Just post positive things that happened to you, or positive things you are looking forward to, or things you are getting motivated by.

Please don't post anything about Covid19 infection rates, numbers, deaths or what politicians are doing or not that affect our sport. Let's keep it decoupled from the other 100 threads on that.

With that, I will start.

The trails in the small forest near my house are almost free of snow. I have a loop through there that I used to do intervals on for over 20 years. Today I ventured on there (we are allowed to run outside here in Canada). There was no one on there. Totally solo. There is a steep uphill and a steep downhill on part of it. In 1999 I used this loop to train for the toronto marathon. I finished top 25 there (OK OK, soft field, but what the heck). I am literally running 90 seconds slower per km today than back there, but on a trail alone, with a blue sky its almost nothing changed in 20 years. Same person, same trail, same sky, same sport.

For a moment it was like coming back to an old friend from 20 years ago. I can't see human friends, but that trail run, it was like an old friend. I went up to the local track from 20 years ago and did some 200m repeats. I did not time them (don't want to know how slow I am), but it was like going to visit another old friend since I can't see human friends.

I was hoping to dial back on running after 100/100 and launch into a big swim block for masters swimming nationals, but that got canned.....but as part of the stress relief I have been running daily and I logged the three biggest running weeks (for me) in my last 7 years. So that's the positive from all this.

Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed I find an extra mental gear in my workouts these days. I'm just more motivated to push through a dark patch even if it hurts like hell because 1) this could be my last workout and 2) with all the depressive news going around I need the endorphins to stay positive :)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 3 hour ride today on the Arizona Canal path. Rode to the dam at the east end of the canal. First time I have ever done that. Only 3 other cyclists going the opposite way. Beautiful day on my new hardtail. I am recovering from hip surgery and it is fantastic to be able to go hard without pain during and after riding. (I had 7 years of living with arthritis).

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a awesome idea and thank you for starting this thread. I have been enjoying multiple family hikes! We have unlocked our family’s mutual enjoyment of peace and quiet!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a half mile with my 8 year old before all of my afternoon runs.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:
This is a awesome idea and thank you for starting this thread. I have been enjoying multiple family hikes! We have unlocked our family’s mutual enjoyment of peace and quiet!

I need to go walk with my wife in the woods (same trail) now that the snow is melted/melting. Good plan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went sub 59 mins on Alpe du zwift today. 6 min pb from last weekend. Being heavier never thought I would get sub 60 but found an edge, held onto it and voila!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Went sub 59 mins on Alpe du zwift today. 6 min pb from last weekend. Being heavier never thought I would get sub 60 but found an edge, held onto it and voila!

Hey do you know if this is harder or easier than the real climb. My best on the real climb was a 57:30 and interestingly enough it was on US Postal Edition rental Trek OCLV with a triple crankset that I rented in Bourg d'Oisans. But that was 13 years ago when I probably had 30-50 more watts of FTP in my body and was 10 lbs lighter!

Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far in the last 7 days...some firsts since surgery:

Most miles in a week: 34 miles of run/walk + a couple walks I didn't count.

1 April, first constant run with no walk breaks 5.2miles @9:45/mile
2 April, first 6 miler @ 9:41/mile
Today, first 7.1 miles @ 9:36/mile and first run over an hour

I'm keeping my hr in zone1. Avg is typically z2-6bpm. Max is z2-2. If I crest that I slow down or walk, as necessary.

I'll take it. I feel good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaoqPzDtRbs

devashish_paul wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Hey do you know if this is harder or easier than the real climb. My best on the real climb was a 57:30 and interestingly enough it was on US Postal Edition rental Trek OCLV with a triple crankset that I rented in Bourg d'Oisans. But that was 13 years ago when I probably had 30-50 more watts of FTP in my body and was 10 lbs lighter!

Congrats.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
// watch out for new moments ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I'm doing my first tri in 10 years, well, less the swim.
Was supposed to be in Galveston.
I mapped my run route today. It'll be two 5 mile loops and a 3 mile loop. After the first loop, I'm picking up my running buddy/pacer- my dog. Couldn't do that in an official race!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I'm keeping my hr in zone1. Avg is typically z2-6bpm. Max is z2-2. If I crest that I slow down or walk, as necessary.

Wow that is huge progress for a guy whose chest was just cut open!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
Did a 3 hour ride today on the Arizona Canal path. Rode to the dam at the east end of the canal. First time I have ever done that. Only 3 other cyclists going the opposite way. Beautiful day on my new hardtail. I am recovering from hip surgery and it is fantastic to be able to go hard without pain during and after riding. (I had 7 years of living with arthritis).

Heck yeah dude I'm happy for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never knew how hard it is to run 60 miles a week with Biking. I can't imagine swimming too. I hit 50 run miles two weeks ago and I will be between 60-65 this week depending on tomorrows run. Excited to see where this puts me come race season.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks, I have heard it is pretty similar and realistic in terms of the gradient and the way the corners work with the gradient as well. There are a lot of comparisons out there. Basically on Zwift you need to hold 3.2 w/kg to go sub 60 mins. I am hoping my next biggest gains will be through dropping some weight as well as pushing up the FTP by another 15-20 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride outside. We are all stuck at home. No one is on the road. It is the safest it will be in our lifetimes.

Also, do the Ironman VR stuff. I was not feeling it at first, but VR1 is fun so far.

I hope to swim in nearby lake soon. Again, normally not feasible, but possible with no one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I can't share the particulars with you, I asked my graduating college senior class to discuss the new locations, emotions, and activities they've discovered. The assignment was about finding good interview answers for job searches, but also for morale.

They were astonishing:

• more intimate relationships with siblings, especially younger ones (most have had to evacuate campus)
  • new exercise routines. I got a vivid description of a student's family's until-recently-unused laundry room
  • new appreciation for the simpler things
  • a TON of praise for mom's cooking
  • a lot of consideration for others who have it worse than them
  • family dinners are a thing again
  • a lot of growing up: scheduling, sleeping as a free individual

to name a few. And this from the millennials who just missed spring break and will also miss graduation. It was a wonderful hour of reading.

Thanks for the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running and riding more than I have in 10+ yrs.

Did tris for 15yrs, stopped in 2010 due to career, kids, etc. Continued to workout but far less.

Dropped 22lbs since Thanksgiving from controlled eating.

Now am “training” again. 55miles outdoor ride today. 10 mile run tomorrow. Feeling so happy to be really fit again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our weekends are usually highlighted by two hour run/walks on local trails (I run, wife walks). The past couple of weeks the trails have become unusually crowded, so I suggested that this afternoon we run on the quiet, winding streets of a nearby college campus (everyone has gone home). The sun shone, the grass is green, the flowers are blooming, the birds are singing, I ran shirtless part of the way. We had great fun exploring.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 4, 20 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting in this and also sorry to hear that you will not have a graduation. In terms of answering the right way to employers, we generally want to take smart guys who can get along with the rest of the team vs a genius who will tank the rest of the team. You may be able to even offer to do work remotely now if companies don't have headcount. The entire excuse of "you have to be here in the team" is kind of going away as entire teams are dispersed. Of course this depends on the type of company you want to work for. If you're doing maintenance on a wind farm or changing engines on an 777, well that's another thing. Keep your morale up as you and your classmates try to search for jobs. It may be hard now as companies retrench and cut headcount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fish tanks are very clean.

Garage is organized.

Taxes are already filed for corporation and within a week for personal

Been out to the woods for first time in three months a week ago and cut some more boards from logs.

I stared cutting boards four months ago. Unfortunately it will take another year for them to air dry.

Both kids 24 and 19 are home full time. Still going to school digitally but meals together hanging out watching movies together.

Fortunately I had an episode of depression about a year and a half ago so now I am quite fine just being rather than doing. We don't have to obtain our sense of worth by what we do rather by who we are.

The trilliums will be up in a few weeks.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to Sonic and had a Reese's Pieces Blast... made my day. :D
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

That's crazy!

I'm in perfectly good health at M45 and running has typically been my strength in tri - I've been running more than I have for the past 2 years lately thanks to coronavirus closing pools and freeing up day work time, and per my log ran 34 miles this past week - and it felt like a lot! Nice to know I'm getting beat by cardiac patients haha! (You're prob in the top 0.1% of patients for activity postop)
Quote Reply

Prev Next