Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iceland extreme triathlon
Quote | Reply
it went last Saturday the 27th July. Great race and experience.
There were a few hiccups given It was an inaugural event but none the less well organized and changes were well communicated by Aaron and Tony.

The swim was to be in 50 degree ocean water but a last minute infestation of lions mane jelly fish meant a move to a shallow but cold lake near by. So shallow that you could stand up at nearly any point.It was approximately 3800m. I don't think anyone got a measurement shorter than that.
The bike was a single loop around the Sneafelsness peninsula, Its pretty benign course on paper but the wind ( and rain) make it very challenging... as did the attacking Arctic terns. There was one moderately big climb.

The run was tough and made tougher by weather. An out and back with 700m climb each direction on a steep and rough road.

Like other extreme tris this was self supported so there is the added fun of having your support team. I love thins aspect of the race. It allows your race plan to be truly custom. It gives you a distraction and makes it a team effort. I have done Norseman as well and think it is great to see spouses, parents, kids etc all out supporting their racer.

There were 52 racers in this years race. It got pretty spread out. The racers were from all over the world.

I'd recommend this event. Iceland is a nice place and safe. The roads are good and uncrowded. The scenery is second to none. Its windy.

It would be a hard race to do on a shoestring budget though. Iceland is really expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds cool if not downright cold --- Was it extreme because of the weather, wind, elevation or (animals)? Congrats, I just looked at the site ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the Norseman Xtreme Tri? This race is my secret bucket list goal..
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
Is this the Norseman Xtreme Tri? This race is my secret bucket list goal..

No It isn't. The Norseman is in Norway. Iceland Extreme is in Iceland.
I've done Norseman and this does compare favorably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At first I was like- Woah... Iceland! Brutal!

Then I realized Lake Michigan is 50 degrees in the summer and that was the Ironman 70.3 race in Racine. Later replaced by Madison 70.3, but just sayin’.
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was the second time I’ve been on support crew at one of these extreme races for an athlete I coach. Last year was at Celtman, this year in Iceland.

I’d say that the “extreme” part comes into play in several ways; usually very cold water, cold-ish air, likelihood of rain and/or wind, self-supported (virtually no aid stations), having a crew with you....and having to do some crazy elevation gain on the run. Celtman was basically a hike up a mountain for most of the second half of the run, and Iceland had 4800 feet of gain and descent on the marathon - almost all of which was on a gravel mountain road. My legs are still sore, and I only did half the run!

The vibe at these races is very chill, low key - which I think is a draw for some of the athletes who keep coming back to them, in addition to the very challenging (dare I say EXTREME!) nature of the courses.

Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it is extreme for several reasons.
Weather...usually going to be wet or windy or hot.
Location...isolated and stunning.
Run course..tend to be crazy hard and beautiful...Norseman climbs a mountain, Iceland as Darkhorse tri noted climbed 1400 m adjacent to a glacier.
Self contained...no aid stations just your support team. You have to have a plan.
I've found the two I've done to be Extremely well organized.

I did Victoria70.3 this year and was put off by the vibe. I've done other ironman branded races as well and found the same thing. The extreme events don't have that vibe. The numbers are small. The support teams are involved. The race director is accessible.

I'd say they are races for the introverted.
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you had a great experience. I sure did.
Who were you supporting? I was able to meet a few of the racers but not all of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds phenomenal, congrats. I was under the impression that Iceland was on the cheap end, but I guess that's only the airfare. Anyway this looks amazing and way more challenging than any course I've ever heard about.
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland extreme triathlon [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:
Sounds phenomenal, congrats. I was under the impression that Iceland was on the cheap end, but I guess that's only the airfare. Anyway this looks amazing and way more challenging than any course I've ever heard about.

That's how they get you! Icelandic Air is one of the most affordable ways to fly to Europe from the US, but the catch is always having a layover in Reykjavik. We did that last year on a family trip, and we were loving the extra partial day in Iceland, definitely want to go back for several days. Anyway, while it is cheap to get there, it is not cheap to do anything there. Totally worth it though.
Quote Reply