Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I was going to race tomorrow but not now...Kidney stones!
Quote | Reply
Kidney stone!

I was going to do my first Tri since 2008 tomorrow and today, after a brief ride with a friend, it hit me like a bullet in the side. Anyone else deal with these or know how to avoid them from occurring?

I have a 2.5mm stone I'm trying to flush out and a few 1mm ones floating around my kidneys. I guess those smaller ones will hopefully pass without any pain.

I was really looking forward to doing a Tri tomorrow but I'm too leery of that pain coming back and getting dehydrated. I found my old wet suit in storage and even with all the rips and tears in it, I was looking forward to those butterflys in the stomach waiting for the gun to go off. Now I'm just peeing in a strainer hoping a little stone pops out.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Jun 24, 18 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: I was going to race tomorrow but not now... [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh :( sorry

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks, I'm so sorry.

Kidney stones are generally caused by an imbalance of calcium flow into and out of the blood stream. There's an overactive calcium influx caused by receptors in your small intestine that for some reason, are in hyperdrive, and coupled with a calcium resorption problem in your kidneys, you get calcium buildup. Most stones are calcium oxalate crystals that form in your kidney as a sheet, and eventually shear off to form stones due to physical disruption. But your urologist will analyze your stones when they pass (godspeed) and that will really tell you what's going on and what is out of balance.

Common sense issues include too much calcium and oxalate intake. Foods high in oxalate include raw spinach, potatoes, and nuts. Which, fuck me, right? So much for trying to be healthy. Another big factor is the overall pH of your urine, modulated mostly by how much uric acid is present (a symptom of a high protein diet- uric acid stones are another type), and how much fluid you're retaining in your system to keep all of those things up there dilute and happy.

What can you do to prevent this from happening again?It'll mostly be a rethink on diet, but hopefully this is a one-off situation that was ill-timed. Chronic stone formers have options of ultrasound to disrupt the crystalline sheets to pass easier, and there are a bunch of research studies being conducted to develop drugs to stop the crystallization before it's too late (I did research on sodium thiosulfate about a decade ago and it showed promise, but it wasn't sexy or expensive enough for Big Pharma).

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: I was going to race tomorrow but not now... [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this info, that's a lot more than what I was told at the ER.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re quite welcome. Sorry you’re going through this. Passing stones are considered a true 10 on the pain scale so kudos to you for gritting it out.

Oh and that research lab? Strong Memorial Nephrology wing- figure you might know where that is based on your signature :)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply