Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love latex tubes, much smoother ride, could care less about more or less rolling resistance or the 5-10lb air loss in 24 hours.

I also use 303 protectant (similar to ArmorAll) when installing much better than using talcum powder. I think that also helps in getting a smoother ride, coat the tube and rub some on the inside of the tire to boot.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tubes are the pale green ones, maybe michelin I can't remember. They are fairly thick, but at least with these I find the airloss over night to be highly overstated. I pumped them up to about 110 psi early Sunday, then rode the bike Monday evening without putting in more air. I'm sure the PSI was lower but I doubt it was any lower than 90 and probably higher than that.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjsurfer wrote:
Love latex tubes, much smoother ride,

You can really tell the difference between latex tubes and butyl tubes in the ride quality? Color me dubious.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
rjsurfer wrote:

You can really tell the difference between latex tubes and butyl tubes in the ride quality? Color me dubious.
My latex swim cap make me cut through the water much smoother also :0)

Quote | Reply
I think I can. it feels "squishy"
could be in my head but then I don't notice any of the other things people say they notice =)

klehner wrote:
rjsurfer wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife says laytex doesn't feel squishy it's what's ..............
Ron W.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> You can really tell the difference between latex tubes and butyl tubes in the ride quality?

Yes

> Color me dubious.

Color me certain.

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [PhilDBasket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilDBasket wrote:
> You can really tell the difference between latex tubes and butyl tubes in the ride quality?

Yes

> Color me dubious.

Color me certain.

How are you certain? Pumped to the same pressure with the same wheels and the same tires, I'm guessing any differences in "ride quality" (whatever that is) would be lost in the noise.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

klehner wrote:
PhilDBasket wrote:

Yes

> Color me dubious.

Color me certain.

How are you certain? Pumped to the same pressure with the same wheels and the same tires, I'm guessing any differences in "ride quality" (whatever that is) would be lost in the noise.

Can I put numbers to it? No. But, it does have a better ride quality; much smoother supple ride. It was equivalent from going from Armadillo tires to 4000S in the difference in the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
PhilDBasket wrote:

Yes

> Color me dubious.

Color me certain.

I'm convinced that it is possible to perceive it...but, it also possibly depends on the "quality" of the tire you're putting it inside.

In a low Crr tire, a latex tube will drop the Crr by ~15% (AFM's testing shows us)...that percentage is going to be much less in some tires with the words "Gatorskin" or "Hardcase" in their names since the casing will be a much higher percentage of the overall "stiffness"...so you'll be much less likely to be able to feel the difference in those cases.

If you've read my 404 FC clincher review, you'll see that I reported that as they were delivered to me (with Tangente tires and butyl tubes) I thought the wheels felt "dead". It wasn't until I decided to swap out the butyl tubes for latex (on a hunch) that they "nearly literally 'came alive' " (Hi styrrell! :-) in my opinion.

It's my (pure) speculation that the common refrain of "better ride quality" of tubulars over clinchers is the direct result of the fact that most "high quality" tubular tires have latex tubes sewn up inside of them while VERY few people (especially as a percentage of riders) ever use a latex tube inside of a clincher. I recall Slowman himself commenting that Open Corsa CX tires with latex tubes inside of them (to paraphrase) "felt just like tubulars!" after trying that combo out for the first time.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest indy magazine test I saw showed 4000s at the top of the heap for least rolling resistance. kind of frosted me because Ive got them on both bikes but had just two days before ordered some evo open corsas based on older tests that pitted vittorias against 4000 (not s). test indicates that clinchers are now notably faster than tubulars, at least good clinchers.
ah well, at least Ive got latex.

Tom A. wrote:
klehner wrote:
PhilDBasket wrote:

Yes

> Color me dubious.

Color me certain.

I'm convinced that it is possible to perceive it...but, it also possibly depends on the "quality" of the tire you're putting it inside.

In a low Crr tire, a latex tube will drop the Crr by ~15% (AFM's testing shows us)...that percentage is going to be much less in some tires with the words "Gatorskin" or "Hardcase" in their names since the casing will be a much higher percentage of the overall "stiffness"...so you'll be much less likely to be able to feel the difference in those cases.

If you've read my 404 FC clincher review, you'll see that I reported that as they were delivered to me (with Tangente tires and butyl tubes) I thought the wheels felt "dead". It wasn't until I decided to swap out the butyl tubes for latex (on a hunch) that they "nearly literally 'came alive' " (Hi styrrell! :-) in my opinion.

It's my (pure) speculation that the common refrain of "better ride quality" of tubulars over clinchers is the direct result of the fact that most "high quality" tubular tires have latex tubes sewn up inside of them while VERY few people (especially as a percentage of riders) ever use a latex tube inside of a clincher. I recall Slowman himself commenting that Open Corsa CX tires with latex tubes inside of them (to paraphrase) "felt just like tubulars!" after trying that combo out for the first time.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [thumper88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thumper88 wrote:
Latest indy magazine test I saw showed 4000s at the top of the heap for least rolling resistance. kind of frosted me because Ive got them on both bikes but had just two days before ordered some evo open corsas based on older tests that pitted vittorias against 4000 (not s). test indicates that clinchers are now notably faster than tubulars, at least good clinchers.

Source? Link?

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
thumper88 wrote:

Source? Link?

The link is via conti but it's not their test...
Here ya go:
http://www.conti-online.com/...rtest_gp4000s_en.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [thumper88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thumper88 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
thumper88 wrote:

Source? Link?

The link is via conti but it's not their test...
Here ya go:
http://www.conti-online.com/...rtest_gp4000s_en.pdf

That report has been out for a couple of years now...for some reason, the Tour guys have a hard time getting a Vittoria to roll fast in their roller tests, unlike other folks who test on rollers as well (myself included).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the same roads 3x a week at lunch - Cherry Creek State Park in Englewood, CO. Rough road surface with bumps (concrete joints) every 3-4 seconds. Its a fantastic place to have for safety, but the road conditions are poor. Changing to latex tubes made a noticeable improvement in ride comfort. The high frequency vibrations from the road are dulled and the bumps have less impact. I run 105 back 100 front and weight 175.

Of all the things we spend money on in cycling, latex tubes are a no brainer to see if you like them.

My largest concern with using them were flats due to improper installation. Advice on this forum got me comfortable with proper installation. I have about 3 weeks on them with no issues.

Mine (mich latex) lose about 15-20lbs of pressure over 24 hours.
Quote Reply

Prev Next