Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
I'm assuming you're filling them with atmospheric air...but if you really want a sweet ride, do like me and only use CO2....costs a bit more but there's a noticeable ride difference...in fact on long rides, it even seems to get more cushy as the miles go by

Hahaha that's just messed up to not put that in pink.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
you know how after putting a tube in, you are supposed to go around the ENTIRE rim of the wheel, push the tire in and check, both sides, that the tube isn't peeking out from under the tire?

you *cannot* skip that step with latex =)

vibrolux wrote:
Is there a good video somewhere that explains how to mount the tubes without damaging them or getting creepage causing a pinch flat? I'm no the edge of trying them, but just a little nervous....At $20 per tube.

x2. And you should add just a touch of air to the tube, maybe just 1psi before doing this procedure.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks for helping me spend $30... :)

http://www.trisports.com/...a-tube-latex-51.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Mr. Blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After ride latex tubes for 3 weeks (300 miles, including Mt Lemmon), I won't go back to butyl. The ride quality alone is worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
gnorv wrote:
I was truly shocked at how smooth the ride was with the latex tube vs. butyl (Michelin). They really smoothed out the chip seal road that I ride on my normal training ride. If this is what tubulars feel like; I see why guys don't want to switch to clinchers. FWIW. I am running Conti 4000S's. I will run latex tubes everyday for the ride quality. I was using the Michelin Ultra Light Butyl tubes and couldn't feel any difference between them and a regular butyl tube.

:-D

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.

Tom,

When hammer it out of the saddle, it almost feels like the rear tire is flat; is this what you mean by feel "dead"? FWIW, I felt this with the butyl tubes; it's just more pronounced with latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gnorv wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
gnorv wrote:
I was truly shocked at how smooth the ride was with the latex tube vs. butyl (Michelin). They really smoothed out the chip seal road that I ride on my normal training ride. If this is what tubulars feel like; I see why guys don't want to switch to clinchers. FWIW. I am running Conti 4000S's. I will run latex tubes everyday for the ride quality. I was using the Michelin Ultra Light Butyl tubes and couldn't feel any difference between them and a regular butyl tube.

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.

Tom,

When hammer it out of the saddle, it almost feels like the rear tire is flat; is this what you mean by feel "dead"? FWIW, I felt this with the butyl tubes; it's just more pronounced with latex.

No...kind of the opposite. They sorta feel like I'm riding on stiff garden hoses...not as bad as some other tires, but it's still there...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
gnorv wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
gnorv wrote:

Tom,

No...kind of the opposite. They sorta feel like I'm riding on stiff garden hoses...not as bad as some other tires, but it's still there...

OH like they don't "bounce" but absorb energy?

-Jason
Quote | Reply
gnorv wrote:
After ride latex tubes for 3 weeks (300 miles, including Mt Lemmon), I won't go back to butyl. The ride quality alone is worth it to me.

I have to agree. I did my first ride today with a latex tube in the front tire, which I was finally able to install without blowing it. What a difference it made, and that was just one tube. Accelerations and climbs were so much easier. I should get additional performance by adding one to the back tire on my next ride.

I tried using them in the past, but always had them blow in the installation, or just as the ride got started. I obviously wasn't installing them correctly. That's why I was reluctant to invest too much of my time and effort on both tubes tubes. I was very careful this time, using talk and avoiding tire levers, and double checking inside the rim before inflating. Once installed correctly, they seem to be very resilient.

I am using the Vittoria Evo Open Corsa, which seems to be a good match for latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreadnought wrote:
I have to agree. I did my first ride today with a latex tube in the front tire, which I was finally able to install without blowing it. What a difference it made, and that was just one tube. Accelerations and climbs were so much easier. I should get additional performance by adding one to the back tire on my next ride.
I think that's commonly referred to as 'placebo effect'. It seems highly unlikely the 2-3W gained from Latex tubes would make a noticeable difference in accelerating or climbing. Perhaps the wind was blowing favorably today?
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they feel faster? I don't know. I agree 6W should be hard to perceive. However, the ride quality is definitely noticeable.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:
I think that's commonly referred to as 'placebo effect'. It seems highly unlikely the 2-3W gained from Latex tubes would make a noticeable difference in accelerating or climbing. Perhaps the wind was blowing favorably today?

It's fairly easy to dismiss any positive feedback as the placebo effect. You weren't there, so I'll fill you in. I based my performance improvement on how I did compared to other individuals in the group ride. When I start at the bottom of the hill at the tail end of the group and end up with the lead group at the top of the hill, I would say that's a significant improvement from my usual staying at the tail end. Was it a placebo effect? Possibly, but my gut feeling is probably not. Can I prove it? No, just giving subjective impressions. Numbers are useful, but there are also intangibles out there.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreadnought wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

No, just giving subjective impressions. Numbers are useful, but there are also intangibles out there.
Exactly. That's the definition of the placebo effect. You think you should go faster and feel better so you do. It has nothing to do with Latex though.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to have the roads you guys have apparently. I have great low traffic hilly terrain to train on where I live but the roads are old and we have a lot of tar and chip etc... In the last 2 years I have strayed from Conti's for some of the reasons described above in the end I have come home from rides and threw them right back on. I have tried Michelins and I have had some Deda's. I loved them both and they felt great but both times within 20 miles of riding I have puctured. I'm not talking pinch flats either, I am talking smack in the middle of the tread punctures. Conti's are pretty much bombproof, even here.

So here is why I use Conti's in racing (Conti Triathlon) I need confidence in my equiptment when I race. How does one have confidence in equiptment when they can't get through one training ride without a puncturing mid tread? I am a strong cyclist and am willing to give up a tiny bit of time with high assurance I will get through the bike leg without flatting. Granted most races I race at have better road conditions than what I train on but it all goes back to confidence in equiptment. Shelling out $75 for tires that can't get me through 20 miles is a bit of a dissapointment. The plus of racing on smoother roads than I train on is I am always faster racing than training at same wattage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been watching how much air I loose with the latex tubes. What I have noticed is 20 lbs in 24 hrs, 40lbs in 48 hours, and 60lbs in 72 hours. I have heard that latex loses air faster the hotter it is outside.....time will tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW. I rode the Jasper Disaster course this weekend a four hour ride in the blistering heat of North Arkansas. After the ride, I checked the air in the tubes and I lost about ~3 to 5 lbs.

www.tourdehills.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Latex
I installed latex tubes in my road and Tri bikes about a year ago. I average maybe 80-100 miles a week through out the year. I haven't had a flat or failure of any kind with latex tubes yet. I'm 175lbs and use 23c 4000s's and ProRace2's and ride on some pretty crappy rural roads (plan to buy some low rolling resistance tires before next big race). I use Challenge Corsa latex tubes for about $10 a piece. I'm not tuned into the bike enough to notice a big feel difference, but believe I'm saving a few watts based on the rolling resistance tests. It seems like they loose 8-10lbs a day.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drrafe wrote:
Here are some good choices offering much better rolling resistance than your 4000s:
Specialized Mondo open tubular (it is a clincher)23
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro23
Bontrager R4 Aero22
Veloflex Record20
Continental Grand Prix Super Sonic which I think is now available in both 20 and 23
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 23
Michelin Pro 2 Light and Pro 3 Light

Pick one depending on what you want regarding weight vs durability. They all roll well. Use them with latex tubes

It really depends on the road surfaces you ride on - some of these tires, notably the Pro 3, are hopeless where I live (lots of chip seal, lots of debris, very hot summers = Pro 3s cut to ribbons). Maybe not on race day, but the GP 4000 (or S) is by far the most common tire choice for most of the serious cyclists I see around here, for the vast bulk of their riding (and a lot of them race them, for instance on course like Vineman or the Terrible Two)

That being said, while they've been great to me on flat protection, I agree that GP 4000 (regular and S version) do not 'feel' anywhere near as good as, say, Pro 3s and others mentioned. But I'm partial to Contis now, so curious: how are the Super Sonics by comparison, in terms of performance and flats?
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I am 175lbs, I'm about 3 years into using latex tubes, so does the wife, none of us have had a flat yet with them.

bmanners wrote:
Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)

No flats in THREE YEARS?! I want your roads!!!

Seriously question Jack: Is there any well established CW regarding puncture protection between standard butyl and latex?
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't anywhere close to that.

Mark,

It's amazing to me the numbers of triathletes who did not get the memo that you don't need an amazingly high crutch crushing and pounding psi to get great rolling resistance!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Mark,

It's amazing to me the numbers of triathletes who did not get the memo that you don't need an amazingly high crutch crushing and pounding psi to get great rolling resistance!!

I was pumping my latex/4000S up to 120 lbs (weigh 162 lbs) because Tyler Hamiltion told my brother, his coach, that latex tubes will lose 20 lbs over the course of a 4 hr to 5 race. I am going to go back to 112 PSI to 115 PSI as I have now debunked that myth.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [rrkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have some super sonics on a pair of Zipp FC clinchers and I like how they feel and roll. I don't think I would use them for daily training due to durability issues over the long term, but I think their flat protection is likely as good as any other light weight racing tire.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Gregflier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find Challenge latex tubes? I can't find them anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
Where did you find Challenge latex tubes? I can't find them anywhere.

Sorry :(
I got them at World Class Cycles and got the last batch about 7 month's ago, but it looks like they only carry Michelin and Vittoria latex tubes now.
http://www.worldclasscycles.com/...s_adhesives_cart.htm
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [rrkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive had plenty of flats, just not while i happen to have latex tubes in my tires. i don't generally run them when training. sometimes I do.

and no, there is no objective, scientific data bout puncture resistance with them.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gnorv wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Mark,

I was pumping my latex/4000S up to 120 lbs (weigh 162 lbs) because Tyler Hamiltion told my brother, his coach, that latex tubes will lose 20 lbs over the course of a 4 hr to 5 race. I am going to go back to 112 PSI to 115 PSI as I have now debunked that myth.

I went back to pumping my tires up to 108 lbs and still lose only 20 lbs in 24 hours. The smooth ride of a latex tube at 108 lbs is priceless. I haven't had any flats in 3k miles either. I would never go back to butyl tubes based on comfort alone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next