Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordinarily I'd try to keep anal and latex out of the same sentence, but in this case yes.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Ordinarily I'd try to keep anal and latex out of the same sentence, but in this case yes.

its safer that way

hoooooooooooooo

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use strapping tape or electrical tape over the rim tape? Or is good rim tape ok?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm about 3 years into using latex tubes, so does the wife, none of us have had a flat yet with them.

I have used the Challenge Latex tubes with Challenge Criterium Sette open tubulars (aka clinchers) with Reynolds SDV-66 and Assault carbon clinchers and really, really liked the combination. On the rare occasion where I did flat, when I stopped to change the tire, I would find that the tire had a nasty side-wall cut which I incorrectly attributed to the latex tube. But in retrospect, after Tom A. got me to see the errors of my ways, when I did flat (usually from road debris), the tube typically delfated much faster than I could roll to a stop during which time the sidewall of the tire was in contact with the edge/bead of the carbon rim which sliced a nice 1-2cm hole in the sidewall. Fortunately, the last time it happened, a couple $10 bills wrapped around the replacement inner tube got me back on the road which I guess is the price/risk Smile of running high dollar tires and tubes on less than optimal road surfaces.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: May 12, 11 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jellyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jellyfish wrote:
Do you use strapping tape or electrical tape over the rim tape? Or is good rim tape ok?

I use Velo Plugs; no issues so far.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)"

That has not been my experience at all, and I've used them for racing/training for the last 3 years. Far less flats with latex than butyl.

Ditto, 175lbs here and although I haven't conducted a scientific study, I'm sure I flat less frequently with latex tubes. Of course, I admittedly have dicked up a few of them over the last few years during the install but I can't blame anyone but myself for that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jellyfish wrote:

On the rim I just bought I took Tom A's advice and tried strapping tape. 2 layers, the second slightly offset so the little cords sit in between the cords of the first layer. Worked great, and the added bonus is that it's thinner than regular rim tape so getting tires on is a little easier as well. I can actually get my conti trainer tire on without levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jellyfish wrote:

If you use strapping tape, you don't need any other tape underneath it.

Electrical tape IMHO is only for use over a cloth tape, since the latex will tend to "grab" the cloth (by extruding itself into the gaps in the fabric weave). I'd never use electrical tape by itself (too weak).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. Both rims already have good cloth tape so I think I will just add electrical tape over cloth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, taste the koolaid time. Just ordered my Bont Latex Tubes. Will be at LBS tomorrow, installed Friday night, test, race on Sunday.

Should I practice my podium/interview speech now ? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.[/quote]
You dont like the PG4000s´s ? They test best in rolling resistance and overall round here all the time for the last 3 years...Namely against the Pro2/3 race.
I ride them and love them
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [IJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IJ wrote:
Quote:

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.

You dont like the PG4000s´s ? They test best in rolling resistance and overall round here all the time for the last 3 years...Namely against the Pro2/3 race.
I ride them and love them

It's OK...for a training tire ;-)

Both the GP4000S and Pro2/3 race roll about the same...and both are also ~"middle of the pack" as far as that goes. There are lots of tires above them on AFM's list.

Last edited by: Tom A.: May 12, 11 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, can you patch a latex tube? Standard patch kit work?
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [elevario] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elevario wrote:
Just out of curiosity, can you patch a latex tube? Standard patch kit work?

Yes and yes. You don't even need to "rough up" the surface before applying the glue.

Self-adhesive patches don't work.

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
drrafe wrote:
Here are some good choices offering much better rolling resistance than your 4000s:
Specialized Mondo open tubular (it is a clincher)23
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro23
Bontrager R4 Aero22
Veloflex Record20
Continental Grand Prix Super Sonic which I think is now available in both 20 and 23
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 23
Michelin Pro 2 Light and Pro 3 Light

Pick one depending on what you want regarding weight vs durability. They all roll well. Use them with latex tubes

Many of these are race-only tires (I run supersonics on my race wheel w/latex tubes), so they wear quicker and flat more. The Mich PR3s are pretty supple for a tire you can train on (not that the GP4000S is a bad tire at all)..

I ride the Vittorias Evo CX II everyday and they last thousands of miles for me. I had a similar experience with the Michelins, but the Vittoria are somewhat more durable and seem to ride better for me. I blew through the Veloflex Paves that I had. I weigh ~150 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so I am doing my first IM next week. I have GP 4000's and trained on gatorskins. I am 170 and use a HED 60/90. I plan on riding 20 mph, did 22.5 in my last 70.3.

Will I really notice a big difference. I am so scared to change anything at this point but I am also scared of flatting and also looking for any advantage possible. I also considered changing tires but puncture resistance vs rolling resistance appears best in the GP's
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought four from realcyclist and am going to put them on this weekend as racing season starts in a couple of weeks. I resisted putting them on earlier as I wanted to train "harder"...kinda like swinging two bats in the on deck circle.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gpdtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP4000s will be fine. They roll notablty faster than the gatorskins. I raced on those for years before switching to supersonics (which are faster, but not nearly as flat resistant).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you're filling them with atmospheric air...but if you really want a sweet ride, do like me and only use CO2....costs a bit more but there's a noticeable ride difference...in fact on long rides, it even seems to get more cushy as the miles go by

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no single change will be a 'big difference'
it is the sum of many silly things that makes the big difference

gpdtx wrote:
OK so I am doing my first IM next week. I have GP 4000's and trained on gatorskins. I am 170 and use a HED 60/90. I plan on riding 20 mph, did 22.5 in my last 70.3.

Will I really notice a big difference. I am so scared to change anything at this point but I am also scared of flatting and also looking for any advantage possible. I also considered changing tires but puncture resistance vs rolling resistance appears best in the GP's

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
I'm assuming you're filling them with atmospheric air...but if you really want a sweet ride, do like me and only use CO2....costs a bit more but there's a noticeable ride difference...in fact on long rides, it even seems to get more cushy as the miles go by

lol

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REALLY??? I have never heard that CO2 is better inflation. Why is that?

While I have loved ST and all the minutia, I am starting to go crazy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joke...Just the opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, don't know how to do pink font...

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Terra-Man wrote:

lol

you should hear the BS surrounding stereo cables
Quote Reply

Prev Next