Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I think you all deserve a little more public etiquette credit than you get
Quote | Reply
From before ever riding a bike or running, until now, I've noticed a very stark difference in the type of person I encounter in sharing a public space.

Whether it's on the road, a multi use trail, gravel trail, greenway, sidewalk, or otherwise.

In general I feel the dedicated endurance athlete community follows the rules and etiquette of these areas at a higher rate than "joe public".

We usually complain about each other when we see someone in "the community" do something dumb. Yup, they're out there. I don't feel we acknowledge all the times they get it right though.

On the whole, when I come across what appears to be a well-together endurance athlete doing their thing in public.........I generally have fewer issues. They generally hear and respond to passing requests. They generally stay to the right. They've got their crap together. They might be deep in their zone, but still are aware they are sharing the space.

I think once you invest that much effort into something, you take it more seriously, including the etiquette.

So, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: I think you all deserve a little more public etiquette credit than you get [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're probably NOT the guy in the truck who launched a full Powerade bottle at my head at a closing speed of 70 MPH as I was minding my own business riding on the other side of the road. That being the case, you're welcome and thanks for the recognition!
Quote Reply
Re: I think you all deserve a little more public etiquette credit than you get [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
So you're probably NOT the guy in the truck who launched a full Powerade bottle at my head at a closing speed of 70 MPH as I was minding my own business riding on the other side of the road. That being the case, you're welcome and thanks for the recognition!

a full bottle of Powerade? He probably thought you were thirsty, did you thank him for his kindness?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I think you all deserve a little more public etiquette credit than you get [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I hadn't considered that it may have actually been an act of kindness! In any event, I'm really enjoying spending most of my my rides on Trainerroad!
Quote Reply
Re: I think you all deserve a little more public etiquette credit than you get [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
a full bottle of Powerade? He probably thought you were thirsty, did you thank him for his kindness?

He was just paying it forward, blessings! Lol.

My idea is to give these kind of people their own personal playground where they can do all the annoying things......oh wait.......they already do have that: drag strips, wrestling, Nascar, crossfit gyms, dog parks, their recliner and Bose headphones, shopping malls.

Personally, I've seen it in state and national parks and I really appreciate when areas are limited use and/or users are given priority.

It's about 6 to 7mi to get to the state park gravel, never fails, always come across some kind of BS on the way there and back. Once in the park, I have zero issues. You don't go hike or trail run or bike at 1000ft per 12 miles if you're not into it enough that you'll follow the rules.

People don't like in-town road riding, I tend to like it. I find the neighborhoods that link up I routinely hit the least possible traffic. Traffic is slower, (25 to 35mph), and the streets are much wider than country roads. There's also actual hills with a grade. Sure, stop signs. But my moving vs. total time is within 5 minutes versus a country road ride.
Quote Reply