Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance.
Quote | Reply
I normally train with Tailwind.
At IM Boulder yesterday, I drank one bottle of Tailwind for 1st bottle of bike.
I did pee once only at mile 30.
Antecdote: after drinking the Tailwind, my 1st bottle of Gatorade Endurance tasted awful. I thought something was wrong it tasted so bad!
I think I drank plenty for such a cool day. (let's assume that for my question here)
I started drinking Gatorade Endurance starting in the 2nd bottle through the run.
But, I never peed again the rest of the day. Ugh.
I felt bloated during the early run.
I ran "ok" until mile 8 or so. Then was bloated, burping, and belching.
I believe I probably wasn't absorbing the fluid since I didn't have to pee and was bloated.
My theory is that I just don't absorb, tolerate or my stomach is just "not trained" for it (if that is such a thing) for Gatorade Endurance.
Is my thinking correct?

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you train any with Gatorade endurance any? Adding in the on course nutrition to your training is usually a good practice. I make sure and train with Gatorade endurance and tailwind so this kind of thing doesn’t happen during a race. I lost a bottle of tailwind on the bike last year and was able to swap to Gatorade endurance seamlessly because I had trained with it as well.

I actually prefer the taste of Gatorade endurance over tailwind. I’ve never experienced any of the bloating or lack of urine production from it either.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I;ve wondered about the "training your stomach" issue.
Are stomachs "trained"
I dunno.

Michael in Kansas
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible.

Try gels and plain water. Aid stations will have both. Carry salt tablets if you worry about electrolytes although their usefulness is apparently questionable anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that the only thing I can tolerate on the run consistently regarding of the weather conditions is Cola and a sip of water per aid station. Zero bloating and zero stomach issues as long as I watch my heart rate. Gatorade is just too hard to tolerate when the glycogen is 100% depleted.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can eat cheeseburgers while doing endurance sports... if you go slow enough.

Your stomach probably shut down somewhere on the bike, either from going too hard, eating/drinking too much or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fructose has been mentioned before by DTD as being not at all friendly. My experience and with athletes has been the same. Avoid fructose and protein while racing.

Bulk malto dextrin works well, I have also raced on pure dextrose which I found worked as expected...and about a buck a pound.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
I normally train with Tailwind.
At IM Boulder yesterday, I drank one bottle of Tailwind for 1st bottle of bike.
I did pee once only at mile 30.
Antecdote: after drinking the Tailwind, my 1st bottle of Gatorade Endurance tasted awful. I thought something was wrong it tasted so bad!
I think I drank plenty for such a cool day. (let's assume that for my question here)
I started drinking Gatorade Endurance starting in the 2nd bottle through the run.
But, I never peed again the rest of the day. Ugh.
I felt bloated during the early run.
I ran "ok" until mile 8 or so. Then was bloated, burping, and belching.
I believe I probably wasn't absorbing the fluid since I didn't have to pee and was bloated.
My theory is that I just don't absorb, tolerate or my stomach is just "not trained" for it (if that is such a thing) for Gatorade Endurance.
Is my thinking correct?

The fluid intake ratios are 100% part of the equation to figure out whether or not you were going to be able to tolerate whatever you took in, whether it was GE, more Tailwind, gels, what have you. So no, we can't just assume you drank enough and properly answered the question.

There's some good generalities -- fructose can be problematic to some, I never like to see single-source CHO (see: no just maltodextrin-based drinks), and then there's the question of what else was potentially off (the metabolic cost of racing when it's cool due to the constant fluctuation of body temperature regulation needs can be surprising).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:

Why would you continue drinking it if it was not agreeing with you? And then go for a second bottle?

I'd suggest putting some more effort into your nutrition plan next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
Is my thinking correct?

no

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't do Gatorade even at the Xterras. Just waaaaaayyyy too sweet. If you don't train with it, your body won't know how to handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
I can't do Gatorade even at the Xterras. Just waaaaaayyyy too sweet. If you don't train with it, your body won't know how to handle it.

I don't love the Gatorade, but I can now endure it. Knowing it's the on course option I always keep the powder stocked at my apt and I train with it for most of my long efforts.

In my experience, race day nutrition planning is way easier when you know you can rely on whatever they have on site. Worth the extra effort to get used to it.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had similar issues but interestingly enough only with the orange flavor. I trained with the lemon lime and cherry flavors with no issues. Then I would get to a race and use the orange flavor served on the course and I would have GI issues. Not sure if there's something about the orange flavoring or coloring that doesn't agree with me or if something else altogether that I'm missing. I've since switched to alternating bottles of Scratch Labs then water while using Base Salts as well. Seems to be working so far. I just finished Eagleman with that formula and had no issues, granted it was not a terribly hot day and perhaps not the best test of my new hydration strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
I can't do Gatorade even at the Xterras. Just waaaaaayyyy too sweet. If you don't train with it, your body won't know how to handle it.[/quote]

I don't mean to pick on you because I read this all the time....
This is Bro Science at it's finest....

How does the body learns to "handle it". What happens in the stomach that allows the "handling"?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: Jun 11, 19 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long ago did you find out Gatorade Endurance would be your nutrition option at this race?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe “learn to handle” is a bad phrase.

I practice with on course nutrition just so I can know ahead of time if my body is ok with it. If it’s not, then I know to take every measure I can to not get in a situation to have to rely on the on course nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:
I can't do Gatorade even at the Xterras. Just waaaaaayyyy too sweet. If you don't train with it, your body won't know how to handle it.[/quote]

How does the body learns to "handle it". What happens in the stomach that allows the "handling"?

No problem -- I don't feel picked on. And I honestly don't know HOW the body learns. I do know that Coach Chad on the TrainerRoad podcast has talked about the body learning to absorb more than CHOs per hour through training.

As someone else said, perhaps better to say "know what your body will handle."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

\

Your gut biome adjust to what you eat. If you never drink dairy or fatty junk foods, for example, they're more likely to upset your stomach. At least that has been my experience with dairy, sweets, and fatty foods. I imagine the same holds true for race nutrition. Training with specific foods gives your body a chance to adapt a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always do ALL of my pre-race training using the nutrition that will be served on the course. No surprises come race day. I also have my drinking schedule and volume practiced precisely so there is no guessing on race day e.g. no guess at how much I drank or if I drank/ate enough.

Practicing nutrition in my opinion is often the most overlooked part of long course racing. You need to practice nutrition just like you practice pace and distance.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

Practicing nutrition in my opinion is often the most overlooked part of long course racing. You need to practice nutrition just like you practice pace and distance.

I have found the opposite to be true for me. The more I've relied on eating and drinking by feel, the more successful I've been. I no longer give any thought or planning to a nutrition/hydration plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's the question of:
Do you have to figure out what you tolerate OR is your stomach "trained" or "gets used to" whatever you train with?

Michael in Kansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed it but what was your electrolyte intake like? In 2015 I experienced similar issues at Boulder (Aug race and much hotter) and ended up downing 6 Endrolyte caps and drinking broth at mile 12 or so and started feeling better by 14. Sounds to me like you were low on salts.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found the opposite to be true for me. The more I've relied on eating and drinking by feel, the more successful I've been. I no longer give any thought or planning to a nutrition/hydration plan.

Using the Tim Noakes Central Governer theory there is some to a lot of truth to this - and maybe more.

The current data/numbers/info obsessed current generation of triathletes would have been appalled at how we all did things years ago. Quite honestly, I never really gave much thought to drinking/eating while training and racing. When I first started going really long in my training I just sort of figured it out as I went along - drank what I needed to drink and eat what I needed to eat.
I never recall any specific nutrition issues in 15+ years of high level triathlon training/racing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
I;ve wondered about the "training your stomach" issue.
Are stomachs "trained"
I dunno.

Definitely in one way - There's all different kinds of bacteria in your guts that develop over time to digest what you've been giving them. So if you eat a lot of something you don't usually eat, then there isn't enough of that bacteria to do the job right. Other bacteria step in to do it and they do a crappy job off it, creating a lot of "trash" in the process (gas, bloating, malabsorption, pain, burping). Just like a car engine running on bad fuel, generating a lot of smoke, backfiring (farting), stalling (burping) and running rough (pain). So if you plan on using 1000 to 4000 calories of a food while exercising, it is going to go a whole lot better if your guts are stocked with the little fishies that can eat that junk when it rolls through.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I screwed up at IM Boulder. I drank the Gatorade Endurance. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Same.

It is astonishing how people completely tune out their own body.
I've woken up at 4am before a big race not hungry at all. No problem. Didn't eat breakfast. First calories to pass my lips were on the bike after the swim.
My gut felt heavy and stuffed during the bike of a half iron from eating too much breakfast. Just sipped water. No calories for the entire swim and bike. Stomach cleared eventually and had a kick ass run.
Cold day? Forget the liquid calorie plan... your body won't want it. Switch to solids like shot blocks, haribo, etc.
Quote Reply