Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome.
Quote | Reply
On 11/17 I was walking and licking the frosting off a donut, stepped off a high curb I didn't see because I was focusing on said donut, and have a minor ankle sprain (I had the orthopod rule out a fracture this AM).

The orthopod said it's probably a 2-3 week recovery overall. I'm trying to speed it up with some hair of the dog... more donuts.

My other "stupid injury" story was getting my SI joint out of place by laying with one hip atop a bag of frozen peas, and not putting something under the other hip. But it's not as good as the donut story.

To reiterate: "I ran 118 miles in a week and got a stress fracture" is not allowed on this thread. This is the body version of "drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack."

Go :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to impress the girls at a pool party with my diving acrobatics… in 1981… my foot hit the diving board, and broke my second toe left foot. The healing process fused the joint, and my crooked toe has been one of the most painful bone spur having blister causing issues, in my entire adult athletic life. It still causes issues to this day, and why I have to wear wide shoes.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Nov 29, 22 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 weeks out of Olympic Trials in 2008, our training group was playing 4 square on deck before practice started, and I rolled my ankle. Rolled it to the point i had xrays and a boot for a week. BUT - I rolled it not in the course of play, but just shuffling between squares between points.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Nov 29, 22 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my pinkie toe at a water park in Palm Springs

The concrete on the pool deck was that superfine kind that gets extra-slick when wet. A little brat - who probably should have know better - came running toward me to get into the wave pool. As I turned to avoid him, my foot skidded into a joint in the concrete that was about half an inch off flush. By the end of the day, it had turned black & blue and swelled to approx. egg-size. I iced it down with a bag of frozen peas when I got home. I spent the next day hobbling around Disneyland.

I went to an orthopod when we got back to NJ and he basically said, "Yep, it's broken but we can't really do anything since it's the little toe. Just ride it out."

The nail has never grown right since

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Albuquerque on a work trip in 2017. I had placed my suitcase behind a chair in my hotel room. I leaned over the high back chair and grabbed the suitcase with my left hand. Imagine my ribcage resting on an inch wide piece of wood that is the top of the back of the hotel chair. I thought the suitcase was empty. To my and my rib's surprise the suitcase was not empty and probably weighed 50 pounds. I hear a crack-crack-crack sound and then shooting pain. I'm like, "Fuck! I can't believe I just broke my ribs doing that."

It was like 7 PM at night and I figured I'd see how the night went. It didn't go well. I didn't sleep for one second and I was in horrible pain. Looked up nearest ER or urgent care. A few miles away is a Duke City Urgent Care location that opens at 8 AM (which shows up in an episode of Better Call Saul a few years later - "Hey, I think I've been there!"). Text my coworkers they'd have to do without me as I'm off to the hospital because I'm pretty sure I broke some ribs. Yep, and the shitty thing was that I was in ABQ for another two weeks.

I had Augusta 70.3 like a month later. Didn't make it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 29, 22 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Trying to impress the girls at a pool party with my diving acrobatics… in 1981… my foot hit the diving board, and broke my second toe left foot. The healing process fused the joint, and my crooked toe has been one of the most painful bone spur having blister causing issues, in my entire adult athletic life. It still causes issues to this day, and why I have to wear wide shoes.

Oh wow. And the girls probably weren't impressed, either.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
8 weeks out of Olympic Trials in 2008, our training group was playing 4 square on deck before practice started, and I rolled my ankle. Rolled it to the point i had xrays and a boot for a week. BUT - I rolled it not in the course of play, but just shuffling between squares between points.

Four square is a fun game. I shall make sure to never play it again.

You've likely mentioned this before but what events did you go to trials for? I bow to your swimming prowess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. I was out of commission for about two weeks because I injured my neck while dreaming. I don't even remember what the dream was about, but I yanked my head backward in response to something in the dream and instantly woke up in tons of pain, spent a week with a cervical collar on and couldn't do any physical activity for about two weeks.
  2. I tore my big toenail off while closing a window. The window was behind a sofa and as I reached/stepped forward to pull the window down my toenail caught on the underside of the sofa and ripped off. It was excruciating and it never grew back fully adhered to the nail bed, so after years of living with pain I had it fully removed and cauterized so I don't have a toenail there anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out for a run on our paved trail system and stepped off of the side of the trail, fell and landed on my left arm. Right in front of a family taking family pictures in a wooded area. Nothing broken but I bruised my sternum and some ribs. Wish I would have had a donut! Worst part was trying to hop up start running again and pretend it didn’t hurt. Ok. My pride was fractured.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped a plate while putting the dishes away in the cabinet over the kitchen counter

I stuck my foot out to keep it from hitting the floor full force and breaking. Since It was Summertime, I had no shoes on. The plate fell straight down, with the edge hitting my big toe like a very dull guillotine, and harmlessly rolling away

It wasn't long before a bruise began to form, starting right below the cuticle, but never quite reaching the opposite end of the nail

The rest of the Summer was "Is today the day it comes off?"

Interestingly, as weeks went by, the nail came undone from the back before the front, so it kinda hinged forward like ...

... Before I finally got under it and yanked it off

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more donuts will definitely help, once in that sugar high/buzz the pain will surely diminish ;-)

tripped over a concrete slab 2" high, where the trail changed from dirt to concrete. I'd only run over that trail change a couple of hundred times before.. took the skin off the palms of both hands and an elbow, a couple weeks to heal..

walking down from a Munro summit in the Scottish highlands, stepped on some mud and took a tumble, landed on my side on one of the few rocks poking up out of the mud, broke two ribs.. a painful vacation and another couple of months of not doing anything, most unpleasant.

most recently, daydreaming in the pool during backstroke, watched the flags go by and forgot to turn, WHAM ! headfirst into the wall.. luckily I don't go very fast, backstroking.. not that much damage at least, a headache and couldn't ever look that lifeguard in the eye again ;-)
Last edited by: doug in co: Nov 29, 22 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1993, age 20, playing hacky-sack. "Served" by pinching the hack between two feet - jumping up and flinging it forward. One time I didn't get my feet under me in time; my heels skidded along the ground until I reached a discontinuity where brick sidewalk met asphalt. My heel caught on the little ledge while my body kept going, dislocating my foot from my leg by rolling it to the outside.

Though I run well, it is crunchy to this day, and in the spring when the weather improves, it hurts like a bastard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had cuts in the 100/200 Free, 100/200 Back, 200/400 IM
2004 I was 9th the in the 400IM and 8th in the 200IM
2008 I was 4th in the 200IM

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a teenager, kicked my brother (fair retaliation for him breaking my nose or something, I'm sure). Kicked full force and...missed. Kicked his chair leg instead and broke a toe. It's been 1/4" shorter than the matching toe on the other foot since.

Mid 2000s. Mountain bike ride but...not on a mountain, just flat gravelly area. Turned wrong and tipped over, landing on my handlebar. Broken rib and punctured lung.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fucking around with MTBs in the Pine Barrens

Hopped off a bump and noticed there was a bobcat (big kitty, not little forklift) in my landing zone. I panicked, locked up the brakes; he ran, I hit, I bounced, and my riding buddy (who was busy watching the cat) landed on top of me ... rear wheel in the knee, front wheel to the head. Oddly enough, I only sprained my thumb (subconsciously, I think I tried to CATCH him!!!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Saturday before the first day of my Freshman year in college we headed down to the 40Watt to see Better Than Ezra. Show was getting crazy, lots of stage diving and crowd surfing. I'm up on the stage and dive into the crowd and ride the wave all the way to the back of the crowd where I'm promptly thrown sideways pinwheeling in the air and landing on my left ankle. I tried to stand and immediately fell, then hopped my way over to the side wall. Slide down the wall and at this point I'm in tears as I look at my ankle which tilted at an abnormal 30 degree angle to the side. Ended up with a broken ankle, 2 screws and a metal plate to fix it, and spent my first quarter in college on crutches. But I still recovered in time for Spring Ultimate and made a trip to Nationals that year with the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Six years ago, I was running at night and my phone buzzed. I pulled it out to check it and tripped over a chain that was strung across the road at knee height to keep cars from going down it. I'd seen it a million times before, just blanked out on it. Exploded my left elbow joint and fractured my left forearm trying to stop myself from hitting the pavement with my face. The height of the chain really flipped me hard. Still can't straighten my left elbow and didn't know it fractured my left forearm until a year later and that is still painful/fractured because the pain from the exploded elbow joint was so severe, it masked pain from anywhere else nearby. Completely altered my triathlon life for the worse still to this day, five years lost due to complications (it's complicated) all for running while texting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year at Vail, after our first day of skiing, I tore my rotator cuff walking to the hot tub. Beer in hand, I tripped going up the cement stairs and landed right on my shoulder. Managed to ski 4 more days but needed help getting dressed and had to drink left handed the rest of trip.

Skiing is easy. Walking, not so much. You are not alone ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had cuts in the 100/200 Free, 100/200 Back, 200/400 IM
2004 I was 9th the in the 400IM and 8th in the 200IM
2008 I was 4th in the 200IM

Badass.

Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Saturday before the first day of my Freshman year in college we headed down to the 40Watt to see Better Than Ezra.

They're one of my favorite groups! I've seen them twice - one summer outdoor concert that was amazing, one indoor that was good but didn't hold a candle to outdoor summer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senior year of college. Thanksgiving break. Almost exactly the halfway point of swim season. Me and a group of buddies (non-swimmers) were participating in our annual Turkey Bowl, which was a pickup game of tackle football. I went to tackle a guy and missed. Landed on my left shoulder, which didn't move right for the next two weeks. Coach was non-too-pleased and I did lots and lots of kick sets. I still have a bony protrusion on that shoulder.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
To reiterate: "I ran 118 miles in a week and got a stress fracture" is not allowed on this thread. This is the body version of "drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack."

Go :-)

I was running on the treadmill a couple years back....my wife came in to tell me she was running to the store and kiss me good bye. I turned my head to give her a kiss while still running, I lost my sense of direction/balance and completely crashed down onto the treadmill belt, and promptly slid off the back.

Oh did I forget to mention, this was 4 months after heart surgery? My wife thought she broke me when I hit the deck.
:-)

Just a bruised hip, and a sore wrist, thankfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just mildliy sprained my right ankle on a dead-flat open road with no cars around. WTF. Just took a step, and rolled the ankle. Had to call for a pickup. But seems to be recovering quickly.

I think all my running sprains have been from WTF mindless moments. None of them have come from hard running or trail running where I'm more aware of what's under foot.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two head injuries this year.

Injury 1: I did a dangerous and technical ridge ascent of a mountain in Colorado.
Then tripped over, rolled and hit my head- while walking down the standard (very easy trail).
I got pretty seriously concussed and now have stupid looking scars on the top of my bald head.

Injury 2- I stood up incorrectly after searching for food in my refrigerator. I hit my head on the edge of the freezer door and wound up with stitches and another stupid looking scar.

Two visible head scars!!!

I look like I have been involved in some prison fights.

It's just the look that a high-end client-facing finance guy needs.
Maximum security chic!!
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 29, 22 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
School excursion high school doing a 3-4 hour hike. Around the time everyone started complaining how hard it was I decided I would show off and start run between my different friend groups. Talking s**t I rolled my ankle not paying attention. Hobbled back an hour after the rest of the group and was kncoked down a few pegs after that : D. No donut though that's amazing
Quote Reply

Prev Next