Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever...
Quote | Reply
Just a random train of thought:

I've been primarily riding off road (mtb and gravel) the last two years and increasingly riding mtb. Today was my first time on the TT bike since probably... last September?... and, honestly, I think off road riding has ruined me. Spoiled me. It's so much more engaging... freeing... liberating... fun. Honestly, riding my TT bike today felt stressful and forced. Artificial.

If I recall, Dan wrote a series of articles and posts about gravel triathlons and the original spirit of triathlon last year: making the most of the venue rather than adhering to set distances. I'm kind of not sure how the sport and the industry got to where it is and I'm amazed there hasn't been a greater embrace of off-road triathlon. Reflecting on many of the races I've done in the last ten years, the venues felt forced, arbitrary, and artificial. Don't get me wrong, the races were fun but I think that was more about the people at the races than the venues themselves. I think triathlon can do better.

Horses for courses. When all I knew was road/TT I loved it but never the way I currently love riding off road. That's all. Just a random thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a mountian biker at heart. But There's precious few if any off road Tris in the uk. (Just logistically difficult + mediaeval rules about where you can't ride a bike in England amd Wales (amd doubly so for a race) virtually kill the idea.

Xtri. That's the answer whilst on s
asphalt roads (forbthe bike leg at least) ! It's very much about the venue / terain. AND the people. Not fixed distance (ok basically Iron distance but does give / take with the terain and what 'works' rather than a contrived 112 miles biking via 2 or 3 boring as hell draft fest laps.
Quote Reply
Re: I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how I feel about road versus tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turn off the speed field on the gps so you’re not scared. Bomb that thing. A TT bike can be exhilarating. Go after some one or two minute Strava crowns. 600w for a minute on a TT bike? Terrifying and amazing. Get segments flagged for “done in car” because the speed is so ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've embraced 'all of the above'. XC, CX, gravel, road, TT, track (pursuit, omnium, madison). It keeps things fresh. I have pretty wide-ranging skill. I have a dedicated "road season," and "track season." The other 4-5 months is just whatever the hell I feel like signing up for. And I have no problem with doing an epic MTB day during road season, etc.

I can't say that I really prefer any one over the others.

It lets you have lots of friends. I can hang with the tatted-up street fixie crowd, the super serious roadies, the enduro guys in their baggies, track euros, etc.

And it justifies owning a lot of bikes. I have a lot of bikes.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 20 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think off road riding has ruined me. Spoiled me. It's so much more engaging... freeing... liberating... fun. Honestly, riding my TT bike today felt stressful and forced. Artificial.

Opposite for me. When I ride the MTB I'm constantly on the verge of crashing and stressed all the time. Road is very relaxing... just ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it. It's like TT bike is your job, road/gravel/MTB bike is your hobby. Guess which on you enjoy?

GreenPlease wrote:
Just a random train of thought:

I've been primarily riding off road (mtb and gravel) the last two years and increasingly riding mtb. Today was my first time on the TT bike since probably... last September?... and, honestly, I think off road riding has ruined me. Spoiled me. It's so much more engaging... freeing... liberating... fun. Honestly, riding my TT bike today felt stressful and forced. Artificial.

If I recall, Dan wrote a series of articles and posts about gravel triathlons and the original spirit of triathlon last year: making the most of the venue rather than adhering to set distances. I'm kind of not sure how the sport and the industry got to where it is and I'm amazed there hasn't been a greater embrace of off-road triathlon. Reflecting on many of the races I've done in the last ten years, the venues felt forced, arbitrary, and artificial. Don't get me wrong, the races were fun but I think that was more about the people at the races than the venues themselves. I think triathlon can do better.

Horses for courses. When all I knew was road/TT I loved it but never the way I currently love riding off road. That's all. Just a random thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TT bike has seen zero miles for the last 3 years, coinciding with my increased preference for gravel riding in that same timeframe. So much more fun being able to just ride almost anywhere on a single bike.

I just put a new set of carbon wheels on the TT, partially hoping it'll make me want to ride it again once the weather improves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel ya. Still enjoy cranking out a good ride on the TT but since trying off road I get more and more perturbed with stoplights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been mostly riding my gravel bike on gravel and roads for the better part of the last two years. I went out a few times on my TT/Tri last year but mostly just used it for two short races. At the end of the season I realized I'd put less then 200 miles on it in two seasons and sold it. I'd LOVE to do a gravel tri be it completely offroad or otherwise. But failing that, I'll just put some skinnier tires on my gravel bike and race with it. I was never that fast on my TT/Tri bike anyway and have never been an uber-biker. I'd rather run. We always say you can race with any bike . . that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm not usually on the podium anyway so why would I care? I don't miss putting the hammer down and staring between the aero bars.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know man. I do ride both, for me MTBing feels fun and non-serious which is fine at times.

However:
When I'm in training mode i like the feeling of focus, purity and pure speed I get from the TT-bike.
It gets me into a more of a meditative state.
I feel like the road bike is a good compromise depending on course choice.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever... [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
I've been mostly riding my gravel bike on gravel and roads for the better part of the last two years. I went out a few times on my TT/Tri last year but mostly just used it for two short races. At the end of the season I realized I'd put less then 200 miles on it in two seasons and sold it. I'd LOVE to do a gravel tri be it completely offroad or otherwise. But failing that, I'll just put some skinnier tires on my gravel bike and race with it. I was never that fast on my TT/Tri bike anyway and have never been an uber-biker. I'd rather run. We always say you can race with any bike . . that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm not usually on the podium anyway so why would I care? I don't miss putting the hammer down and staring between the aero bars.

Well this does give you an excuse to get an aero gravel bike to add to the collection. 3T Exploro!
Quote Reply
Re: I rode my TT bike today for the first time in forever... [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Mr. October wrote:

Well this does give you an excuse to get an aero gravel bike to add to the collection. 3T Exploro!

I'm sure my wife would be thrilled. LOL!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I much prefer riding my gravel and road bikes compared to my tt bike. it's not that I dislike my tt bike it's just not as fun for me. for me, gravel biking is the most fun. I just did a short off road duathlon and it was super fun. I definitely hope that more off road duathlons/triathlons start coming out.
Quote Reply