Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I noticed...
Quote | Reply
I am going to offer up an apology - this thread went south fast and it was certainly not my intention. I just do not think. I have an overweight sister and father and I WISH they would do triathlons. I was not making fun of overweight people or trying to discourage people from sport. I was simply trying to state that I noticed people are trying way to hard to look and play the part. I will leave the original thread below, but for anyone I may have offended, I do apologize.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So I will probably get roasted for this observation but whatever haha also, I have nothing against finishing a race and getting a tattoo or any shape, size, color, brand, etc. You do you. Your life. Ill high five you either way.

THAT being said - I was at a race over the weekend - it had a large pro field and was a sprint/oly event. I have never in my life seen more 50+ year old men who were WELL out of shape with M-Dot tattoos. To make this even worse - I have never seen so many WELL out of shape women with them either. Of course - on the other side of the spectrum (but very few) were the 60 year old men/women who were in better shape than when I was a D1 athlete. Like damn.

But what was up with this? Granted I am young and no family but I watch what I eat and train and maintain a lean body. However - everyone talks about how much they workout like 30 hours a week and are up at 3:45am to workout - but seriously - a solid portion of these athletes - I would not venture so far as to calling them "athletes" per say - more or less participants. They did have EXPENSIVE gear though. This is turning into tennis?

Anyway haha that was just my observation. Congrats on undertaking, training, racing, finishing, and just plain getting off the couch - out of shape or not. I give props to you. I honestly do.
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: May 1, 18 5:56
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
...Congrats on undertaking, training, racing, finishing, and just plain getting off the couch - out of shape or not. I give props to you. I honestly do.

I guess some of them celebrate that accomplishment with a tattoo! Can't say its any worse than a barb wire tattoo around an arm, etc... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different people complete IM's for different reasons. Some people are not interested in sacrificing every aspect of their life to be uber competitive. Some are happy to have moderation and the personal accomplishment of completing an IM.

Don't get me wrong, all of the kudos to you for maintaining a regimented diet. Other's would rather have white carbs and beer. Don't think that it diminishes their achievement or makes them any less of an athlete.

I suppose "athlete" is a subjective term. Anyone who drags their fat or skinny ass around an IM course is an athlete in my book though.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Different people complete IM's for different reasons. Some people are not interested in sacrificing every aspect of their life to be uber competitive. Some are happy to have moderation and the personal accomplishment of completing an IM.

Don't get me wrong, all of the kudos to you for maintaining a regimented diet. Other's would rather have white carbs and beer. Don't think that it diminishes their achievement or makes them any less of an athlete.

I suppose "athlete" is a subjective term. Anyone who drags their fat or skinny ass around an IM course is an athlete in my book though.

+1 on that. It's hard enough to finish an Ironman.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:

Ok yea - my post did sound super dickish - and I completely agree with you. If you are out of shape, get off the couch, train an hour a day, manage to not panic during an open swim, then actually bike on some type of two wheeled craft, then run, and actually finish under your own power. Yes. That is awesome and if you want to tattoo a pecker on your forehead to celebrate - Id high five you.

I guess where I was going - was these folks were trying to look so hardcore in the top of the line gear with top of the line bikes and brand new shoes and $700 wet suits but were sadly VERY out of shape. I didn't race this - just went to watch a bit and have never noticed any of this before. I was surprised with the younger crowd - there was a good showing of 18-25 year old people. For some reason I recall seeing mostly 40+ (the ones who can afford it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Anthony's?
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ Yea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
I guess where I was going - was these folks were trying to look so hardcore in the top of the line gear with top of the line bikes and brand new shoes and $700 wet suits but were sadly VERY out of shape.

This is a fair point. You should humor yourself with a trip to Prospect Park or Central Park in NYC on a weekend day. Tons of out of shape older dudes rocking aero road bikes with nsw 808's rolling at 16mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold on,. post a pic and your last five race results with placings. I need to see if I am better or worse than you before commenting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
LuchaLibre wrote:
I guess where I was going - was these folks were trying to look so hardcore in the top of the line gear with top of the line bikes and brand new shoes and $700 wet suits but were sadly VERY out of shape.

This is a fair point. You should humor yourself with a trip to Prospect Park or Central Park in NYC on a weekend day. Tons of out of shape older dudes rocking aero road bikes with nsw 808's rolling at 16mph.

Shit, I know 1:20 IM swimmers that bought that $800 wetsuit. I've passed several Shivs full carbon disc on my $1500 tri bike with a disc cover. I do wonder what's the point, but they earned it, they can spend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was one of those guys. Finished around 14 hours about 7 years ago. I just didn't understand how things worked; I trained on my own, thought I was fast since I had KOM's and thought my weight was good since everyone said I looked great (about 160 @ 5'7"). I thought I knew what hard was, but I had no clue.

Then I moved to a cycling town and got crushed. People train differently here. Every group ride or run is a race, and there's always someone faster in the group. Training like that just puts you on another level. The cold reality of being dropped and having to ride solo for 30 miles is a much better motivator than any power meter interval can provide, at least for me. I haven't ran in years, but if I signed up for an IM today I'd probably be able to push 11-12 hours at 47 yo. My FTP is 80 watts higher, I'm 10 pounds lighter and just better fit.

To be fair, I did tear my Achilles Tendon twice during that time frame which really screwed up my training. Point still stands though, without others pushing me I would have hit a low ceiling.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM - I am SUPER slow. You are way faster than me haha easily.

and the other dude - I am not hating on you people I promise haha. I just don't understand it.
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: Apr 30, 18 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$700, to you, may seem a lot, but not to others. That's why you see folks driving BMWs and Yugos on the freeway. Same reasons why you see folks live in McMansions while others live in run down apartments.

I have a friend, super wealthy. She purchased a top of the line wetsuit once. She didn't like the fit. Instead of returning it, she gave it away and then bought another top of the line one from a different brand. She has done the same thing to a few pairs of cycling shoes.

People like to spend money on things that they are passionate about. For some, it's an uber bike. For others, it's golf clubs. They have the best golf clubs that money can buy, but can't break par. Don't hate them for rocking the fancy stuff without the fitness or skills to back it up. They must be doing something right to not blink twice about purchasing stuff that you consider expensive.

Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:

+1 on that. It's hard enough to finish an Ironman.

Is it though?
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ well tell your friends to throw that free stuff my way to I can cop it on ebay.

also let me be clear here - if I wanted to go out and buy a P5x then get it custom painted and not blink at the cost - I could. But I also would not go buy a Bugatti Veyron to bring to a go-kart track the day after I learn how to drive stick shift.

but I am not fast enough to buy a top of the line bike. See where I am going here? I am passionate yes - but I know I would feel embarrassed when the guy on the 1970's steel bike blows buy me in calf high Nike socks with clip ins....which has happened haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing Tri has taught me over the course of many races. Just because I'm in better health than someone, doesn't mean I'll beat them out of the water. There were some folks that crushed me in the water that legit should not because they were really really out of shape...and then I had to catch up on the bike and run.

I have tattoos...wouldn't mind adding an M-Dot once I've knocked that out. Take my training pretty serious...so why not, plenty of canvas still available too.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. Is this post primarily to disparage people's looks or their equipment choices based on their looks?

Also could you please a graph of looks to equipment prices so I stay in compliance? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
One thing Tri has taught me over the course of many races. Just because I'm in better health than someone, doesn't mean I'll beat them out of the water. There were some folks that crushed me in the water that legit should not because they were really really out of shape...and then I had to catch up on the bike and run.

I have tattoos...wouldn't mind adding an M-Dot once I've knocked that out. Take my training pretty serious...so why not, plenty of canvas still available too.

No, they should have beaten you out of the water.... You know this because they did.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's your your own security issues.

You think a guy rocking the top of the line golf club is embarrassed that he's walking around a public gold course with the top of the line clubs while still can't break 80?

There are plenty of guys at IM races rocking disc wheels and full aero gear at 16 mph who don't give a hoot what other thinks of them. They enjoy the ride and the look.

You think a gun enthusiast who can't hit a target from 100 feet is embarrassed that he he's walking around a shooting range with a top of the line sniper riffle?

You think a dude with a 3 inch vertical jump is embarrassed that he's playing a game of pickup basketball in a pair $200 Air Jodans?

See where I'm going with this? ;)

LuchaLibre wrote:
^ well tell your friends to throw that free stuff my way to I can cop it on ebay.

also let me be clear here - if I wanted to go out and buy a P5x then get it custom painted and not blink at the cost - I could. But I also would not go buy a Bugatti Veyron to bring to a go-kart track the day after I learn how to drive stick shift.

but I am not fast enough to buy a top of the line bike. See where I am going here? I am passionate yes - but I know I would feel embarrassed when the guy on the 1970's steel bike blows buy me in calf high Nike socks with clip ins....which has happened haha

Quote | Reply
You've mixed 2 thoughts:

Out of shape people with IM Tattoo. Isn't it hard? Answer - not really if you can get out of the swim and like to go on "long walks"

Out of shape people with expensive stuff? Seems to go hand in hand as you generally make more money the more you work and therefore have less time to stay in shape (I know - there are plenty of exceptions). You need money to buy expensive stuff. Your skill does not matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did St. Anthoy's this weekend, and to be honest, I thought there was quite a bit of fit looking people there. At least compared to some of the other tri's I've done. I definitely don't have the triathlon experience of most on this forum, however, so take that with a grain of salt.

I will admit to having some serious bike envy however...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would invite you to look at it from another perspective. The person who has shelled out the big bucks (regardless of their qualifying time) has accomplished two things: (1) They have helped the equipment / apparel manufacturers be able to produce the top shelf stuff for those who can really make the most of it. There aren't enough elite athletes to justify designing and producing the best stuff just for them. Somebody else has to buy it, too, if it's going to be made. And (2) They have taken away all their own excuses.

A couple years ago, I rode one "training ride" with a guy who was entered for IM Chattanooga a couple weeks later. I was thoroughly expecting our ride to average between 22 and 24 mph. The guy showed up on a very nice Tri bike. But I coasted most of our ride together. If memory serves, the guy pushed himself to average a little over 13 mph. He wasn't rotund. He was an experienced runner, but he hadn't spent much time on a bike. It's fair to say that he bought the bike just for that one event.

The bike took away his excuses. He finished the IM. Slowly. But he finished. And he would doubtless have finished even more slowly (if at all) on a standard road bike. It would have been pointless to resent the fact that he bought the bike.

Remember . . . they could have blown it on meth. Which would you prefer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course - on the other side of the spectrum (but very few) were the 60 year old men/women who were in better shape than when I was a D1 athlete. Like damn.

Thank you. Fun day out there yesterday. St. Anthony's is a great race; when they have the full swim....the weather was epic, not too hot/humid and lot's of support. Always inspiring being out on the island, on the run, having so many great folks cheering and all.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone seeks belonging somewhere. You're just seeing how it happens in the triathlon setting.

I ride roadie rides with guys who have crankarm or chain tattoos. I've seen people keep up on gravel bikes on hammer rides and not keep up on Pinarellos. I couldn't care less if they're nice people. Personally, I wouldn't get a tattoo because I'd be afraid of losing interest in whatever I chose at the time.

If they turn it into a "thing" and are douchey about their bike or what event's tattoo they have, that's different. The best thing you can do is say nothing, it'll drive them more crazy than asking about an IM dot tattoo on somebody's saggy legs. They want you to see it and ask.

In terms of the "fitness" of said people, that doesn't bother me either. As long as they are nice and follow the race rules, or group ride etiquette.

Also, a lot of the training time talk is just bench-racing unless it's someone you follow on Strava or Trainingpeaks. Also, intensity matters. So, 20hrs a week means crap if you're farting around. Sure, you'll be super fit, but you won't be fast. Usually it's a topic I avoid all together at a race or group ride. I'll talk training talk over a beer with you after said event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do it to help others feel superior. Nice to see that it's working.
Quote Reply

Prev Next