Last edited by: dwgrenle: Oct 9, 18 20:33
Re: I need bike fit info help [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't make any sense.

Get fit first and then buy a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So get fit, buy a bike, and get fit again on my new bike? I agree that is ideal, but maybe not financially for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to get a fit first, then buy a bike that suits your fit co-ordinates. Once you have that bike, get it built to match your fit co-ordinates (saddle fore/aft, stem length, stem spacers etc.) . You do not need a second fit after getting the bike, you just need to get the bike built to your specs.

The problem if you buy the bike first is that it may not be possible to build to your fit co-ordinates - fit first then get a bike that is suitable.
Last edited by: nickag: Oct 9, 18 21:56
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is helpful, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many bike shops will charge you X for the fit and then subtract the price of the fitting from your bike purchase. If you choose to shop elsewhere you'll loose out on this deal but at least you will have your fit.

I think it's also important to note not all bike fitters are the same, some are better than others.
Even if the best bike fitter fits you perfectly to a bike, does everything by the book, and builds you a bike. - In the end you will probably end up re adjusting something.

I have a good relationship with my bike shop, the other day we were talking; they expressed this very concept. To lead or to follow? Do I fit this person by the book to what is right, or do I listen to what they are telling me about comfort? (this bike shop is awesome; they balance listening/advising extremely well, the catch is to be nice to them)

I recall getting fit for a road bike with my LBS. It's a process.
We shopped for possible bikes.
Fit on the fitting machine.
Looked at geometry.
Shopped again.
Found the bike I liked.
Bike shop built me the bike.
Went to bike shop road the bike.
Adjusted the saddle height.
Bought the bike - YAY! (2016)
Ride, Ride, Ride.
Back to the shop, swapped out stems for a shorter stem.
Ride, Ride, Ride.
(Won some races)

Now 2018 I want to lower the height of the handlebars and get compact drop bars.
Do I feel my LBS fitted me wrong? No!, my bike fits me perfectly, I just want a different type of fit now (more aggressive).

I hope this helps.
Keep working at it.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D_PRC wrote:
Even if the best bike fitter fits you perfectly to a bike, does everything by the book, and builds you a bike. - In the end you will probably end up re adjusting something.

Needs to be said... a lot.

There is a huge range of viable setups for every person. The bike shouldn't dictate your fit. Just ballpark the size, but err on the side of long and low. The important point is to get a bike that is easily adjustable! Normal stem and good bars; independent cups that slide on the extensions being ideal. The Bayonet 3 bars that come on some Felt IAs and B series are awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D_PRC wrote:
Many bike shops will charge you X for the fit and then subtract the price of the fitting from your bike purchase. If you choose to shop elsewhere you'll loose out on this deal but at least you will have your fit.

I think it's also important to note not all bike fitters are the same, some are better than others.

I have a good relationship with my bike shop, the other day we were talking; they expressed this very concept. To lead or to follow? Do I fit this person by the book to what is right, or do I listen to what they are telling me about comfort? (this bike shop is awesome; they balance listening/advising extremely well, the catch is to be nice to them)

I recall getting fit for a road bike with my LBS. It's a process.
We shopped for possible bikes.
Fit on the fitting machine.
Looked at geometry.
Shopped again.
Found the bike I liked.
Bike shop built me the bike.
Went to bike shop road the bike.
Adjusted the saddle height.
Bought the bike - YAY! (2016)
Ride, Ride, Ride.
Back to the shop, swapped out stems for a shorter stem.
Ride, Ride, Ride.
(Won some races)

Now 2018 I want to lower the height of the handlebars and get compact drop bars.
Do I feel my LBS fitted me wrong? No!, my bike fits me perfectly, I just want a different type of fit now (more aggressive).

I hope this helps.
Keep working at it.

THIS^.

Fits change over time.
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local bike shop has told me a few times that fits generally change from year to year as you get more accustomed to cycling and more flexible. It seems to me that every year I tweak something at least a little. I don't know all the in's and outs, but I do know that things change.
Quote Reply
Re: I need bike fit info help [pennydl33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention needs change year over year.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply