Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
I have one of those little mirrors and used it once and never again. Just too small. I now have 2 Varia's, the first model and the latest. I feel naked riding without the varia. I can be riding in a bike lane or even a wide shoulder and when a car approaches, I will often times mover over a little for some added safety from the passing cars. I always wondered if the drivers notice that. Sometimes there is an obstruction in front of me and I need to move into the car lanes. It's nice to have an idea of the lane is clear of cars. Of course I will look anyway, but for me, 100% of the time, the varia was correct.

Yesterday on a bike trail, it was funny that I got a vehicle alert despite the fact cars aren't allowed on the trail. I turned my head and it was a e-bike going about 28 mph while I was doing about 25 mph (downhill underpass).

Did you notice any appreciable difference between the first and second models?
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What the varia does for me is to alert me and “get in position” so that a normal passing car I will pass. IE- get over correctly or ride single file etc.....it’s perfect for a small group ride as they can all sync it w their garmin.
Do you mean you can sync one Varia with multiple head units or does everyone have their own? Does a rider (or riders) behind you interfere with it's performance at all?
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
and drunk drivers may be drawn to them.

Idk, "stealth mode" as drunk driver protection seems like a bad idea to me.
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is shark jumped if I run both a Cycliq and a Varia in the rear?
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Dude, you need to pick sides on this one. No selling out with a compromise on both. This is about pride and self-justification.
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Ive done it....
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
trail wrote:

Ive done it....

You're not helping. :)
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
What the varia does for me is to alert me and “get in position” so that a normal passing car I will pass. IE- get over correctly or ride single file etc.....it’s perfect for a small group ride as they can all sync it w their garmin.
Do you mean you can sync one Varia with multiple head units or does everyone have their own? Does a rider (or riders) behind you interfere with it's performance at all?

Yes 1 varia can sync with any garmin within whatever distance. So in my squad of 6 riders, they have enough garmin edges to sync.

Kinda really cool factor.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Yes 1 varia can sync with any garmin within whatever distance. So in my squad of 6 riders, they have enough garmin edges to sync.

Kinda really cool factor.

Or Wahoo, now. Good of Garmin to play nice.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 5, 19 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if you training partner has garmin edge 820 , they can connect to my varia and it will alert for them also?[
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I typically go for rural roads with little traffic so I can just be in aero and more in the middle of the lane just hammering intervals away

If you are on a rural road with little traffic, can't they just go around you? And why do you need to be in the middle of the lane? I can understand riding a couple feet from the line, but that should be plenty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I just don't quite get what it'll do for me. I ride my line. If a car is going to run over me, it's going to run over me.

Same here. I don't pay attention to what's going on behind me because it really doesn't matter. I'm way more worried about what's happening in front.

If the radar could tell stuff moving to intercept me in the front that would be cool. Particularly when I'm on the TT bike and my head's down...
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes as long as they are likely within about ~4-5m of the varia device.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 5, 19 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dl1340 wrote:
So if you training partner has garmin edge 820 , they can connect to my varia and it will alert for them also?[
Correct. The radar broadcasts its messages and there can be any number of receivers.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the radar could tell stuff moving to intercept me in the front that would be cool.

------

Put the radar facing forward on the front of your bike and it would.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
hadukla wrote:
I typically go for rural roads with little traffic so I can just be in aero and more in the middle of the lane just hammering intervals away

If you are on a rural road with little traffic, can't they just go around you? And why do you need to be in the middle of the lane? I can understand riding a couple feet from the line, but that should be plenty.

They can but that doesn't mean they will be happy about it and the less I piss off the operator of a 2 ton + death machine, the better.

I don't need to be in the middle of the lane but when I'm concentrating on my power interval and putting my head down from time to time, I can drift. Also there's usually always more debris on the edge of a road than the middle.

A couple of feet from the line is still the middle in the eyes of a driver. It shouldn't be, I know, but it is and it won't change any time soon.

What other luddite questions do we have?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetopia wrote:
trail wrote:
If a car is going to run over me, it's going to run over me.

This is the part of the anti-Varia argument I don't understand. I ride almost exclusively on rural roads and rarely have any negative experience with a driver. Even at 60mph, it seems like it takes about 10 seconds to get overtaken from the time of the Varia beep. This is 10 seconds you have to glance back, see if the car is getting left or see if the dot is slowing down (yes, you can tell this once you get used to the Varia). In 10 seconds, I could put myself in a ditch or get to a safe position in a worst case scenario. I always look back multiple times if I need to until I'm sure the car has acknowledged me.

If the car isn't getting over, you have time to slow down and put yourself in the ditch that you didn't have before. We have a right to be on the road, but the reality of the situation is that you do have to take some responsibility for your own safety when you're in the more vulnerable position.

You are right. It’s one of the silliest things on the internet and that’s saying a lot
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote] Did you notice any appreciable difference between the first and second models?[/quote]

The large single light of 2nd generation is much brighter than the multiple smaller lights on the 1st generation. Also, the 2nd gen is oriented horizontally behind the seat tube, which just looks better. AFAIK, the operational funcrion of both generations are nearly identical.
Last edited by: Signal8: Oct 5, 19 20:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying no rear light, I'm saying a blinking rear light might not be the safety feature everyone thinks. I leave mine on steady. That being said, the varia is awesome
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mirror is good for spotting moto marshals when drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting this discussion is like pushing a string up a hill. Between a simple and cheap solution that works better, and a high tech expensive solution that isn't as reliable and can fail, slowtwitch will chose the latter every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your mirror beep when a car approaches?

Or do you have to take your eyes off the road all the time to watch the mirror?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1....the Varia is a beautiful thing.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Does your mirror beep when a car approaches?

Or do you have to take your eyes off the road all the time to watch the mirror?

Yes my mirror beeps.
Quote Reply
Re: I much prefer this $8 solution instead of Garmin Varia [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another +1 for the Varia. A brilliant bit of kit that i never ride without.

For people that moan about them (who have never used one) you can feel free to use a mirror or just look over your shoulder, i couldn't care less. its a stupid argument.
Quote Reply

Prev Next