Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I like shorts better than bibs
Quote | Reply
Anyone else in this camp? After trying a pair of Castelli bibs, and a couple no names I just find I like shorts better. Don’t get me wrong... the chamois in Castelli is better than any of my previous shorts. But the shoulder straps I just don’t like it. I also find that I’m not as comfortable in a 1 piece try suit as a 2 piece.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been years since I've tried bibs. I didn't like them then, if nothing has changed I probably wouldn't like them now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Anyone else in this camp? After trying a pair of Castelli bibs, and a couple no names I just find I like shorts better. Don’t get me wrong... the chamois in Castelli is better than any of my previous shorts. But the shoulder straps I just don’t like it. I also find that I’m not as comfortable in a 1 piece try suit as a 2 piece.

Nope. Hate shorts.

I’m thinking of betting rid of my belts and going with suspenders.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way man. Gotta be bibs. They hide the muffin top better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a pair of bibs to see what all the fuss was about and I don’t like em. Way too much fabric on my stomach. I mostly wear them on the trainer with the straps down and occasionally outside on cooler days but I still find the straps kind of uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts all the way. Quick access to piss or any other needs you may have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m with you.

I have one pair of bibs I can wear if all my shorts are dirty, but only for trainer rides and I never pull the shoulder straps up. They feel too hot and constricting.
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's true that shorts are way more convenient; bibs remind me of some kit I was issued back when I served in the Belgian army: technically it does the job very well, but it looks like it has not been created with other human activities and needs in mind. Sure, it's more convenient when cycling, but is in the way when you have to take care of your biological needs, or want to change your clothes, or want to get off your bike and be in another position for a couple minutes...
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [Muffin top] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muffin top wrote:
No way man. Gotta be bibs. They hide the muffin top better!

Username checks out

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next to STI shifters and clipless pedals, bib shorts have been the greatest advance in cycling during the past 50 years!

I'll never go back to shorts.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer shorts. Bibs are for droolers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m an old man that likes hassle free access to the frequent pissers club. Shorts all the way, including two piece tri suit, and two piece wet suit.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
Bought a pair of bibs to see what all the fuss was about and I don’t like em. Way too much fabric on my stomach. I mostly wear them on the trainer with the straps down and occasionally outside on cooler days but I still find the straps kind of uncomfortable.

Some bibs go way too high on the stomach, which makes them warmer than they need to be IMO. I've had good luck with the Castelli Free bibs (and even their new Evoluzione ones). They sit well below the waist so there isn't fabric on your stomach, and can be pulled low enough in the front to allow for pit stops.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Castelli frees are quite nice, but I dont underatand why more manufacturers don't put flies in their bibs. De soto is the only one I know of.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While it's a problem for skinsuits/trisuits, cyclists can pee while wearing bibs.

even while riding

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Castelli frees are quite nice, but I dont underatand why more manufacturers don't put flies in their bibs. De soto is the only one I know of.

Unnecessary. Just pull the fabric down..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always wore shorts until 2-3 years ago when I bought some bibs. Will wear shorts on the trainer but on long outdoor rides, the shorts would eventually give me chafing between my nuts and inner thigh. Especially when sweating a lot. The shorts wouldn't ride down but they would get loosish Found with the bibs, even when sweaty the shoulder straps keep the bottoms pulled up tight so no more chafing.
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet Tom Dumloulin needed to take off the pink jersey in the Giro thanks to the bibbibs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3qIdqMYZzU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think shorts were the way to go. But turned to bibs bc no skin showing in the back, never having to adjust the shorts / chamois, and they match my jerseys —

And I pee in races using bibs :)
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I used to think shorts were the way to go. But turned to bibs bc no skin showing in the back, never having to adjust the shorts / chamois, and they match my jerseys —

And I pee in races using bibs :)

All this plus greater comfort. Only issue I personally have with bibs is finding a good fit is not easy between the size of the shorts and the length of the straps.
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Nope. Hate shorts.

I’m thinking of betting rid of my belts and going with suspenders.

Being risk adverse, I do belt and suspenders while keeping some duct tape around.

Why won't they let the risk adverse use a flotation device during the swim just in case? I'd keep it under me and out of anyone's way until I needed it.

Seriously. Bibs were not around when I started. Love them now though and somehow they hold up.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: I like shorts better than bibs [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back before bibs, there were cycling-specific suspenders you could attach to your shorts. I remember seeing them in Performance Bike catalogs from the '80s.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I like with bibs is that there is never any gap between shorts and jerseys.

At 6' and less than 140lbs in high school it was hard to get shorts for tall thin people to meet jersey's for tall thin people that overlapped reliably. An occasional sponsor jersey would be too short and the base layer would show.

Big fan of bibs now and that might be the underlying reason.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To each their own - but once I tried bibs there was no going back. Can't stand shorts, even to race in (I use a one-piece tri suit). Some brands are more comfortable than others re. suspender comfort... if they're too short, they can put pressure on the shoulders. As a below-average height female, I rarely have that problem (but do have one pair whose shoulder straps are too tight if I'm standing upright).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the indoor trainer tend to just pull on the shorts as easiest, but for longer outdoor rides I am still in the bib camp. I found some bib shoulder straps that I agree are just too rough, on the shoulders or on the nipples and chafe. Usually save those for cooler days with a base layer for some extra protection. I have Sportif, Sugoi, Mavic, Castelli, and Hincapie in the rotation currently. Castelli pair I have are better than some of the others but my favorite with the softest, most comfortable I have found are Hincapie bibs. Avoids me getting the sunburn on the lower back!

As far as tri kit, totally with you on two piece as too hot in the one piece and still in a Desoto T1 two piece wetsuit.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply

Prev Next