Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff.
Quote | Reply
I hate stopping on long rides. I hate running out of water. I don't like hydration packs on road rides. I don't own bike bags with water bladders (yet). I sweat a LOT.

Just passing this along in case it's useful to anyone.

All known bottles ≥ 30 oz (If you have any to add, please let me know):
Honorable mentions:
Bonus... some cool cage systems if you're already maxing out BTA and BTS bottle carriage. Plus, these can hold 32-oz bottles with less ejection risk.
Weight limits of all 3 of those systems far exceed their listed weight limits. Either that or I've just been lucky so far.
(no affiliation)

I posit that >95% of people's GI issues in training and racing ARE related to:
  1. timing of hydration intake & overall hydration status
    or
  2. glucose:fructose ratio management. Usually too much glucose.
    or
  3. Complexity of carb source, usually turned to because of desired lower carb intake rate, decided upon because of erroneous belief they're intaking too much fuel for gut issue avoidance.
(or an interplay of the 3 above)

And NOT related to:

1. Excessive fueling.
Consider getting bigger bottles. It'll solve a lot of problems.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Mar 6, 23 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I hate stopping on long rides. I hate running out of water. I don't like hydration packs on road rides. I don't own bike bags with water bladders (yet). I sweat a LOT.

Just passing this along in case it's useful to anyone.

All known bottles ≥ 30 oz (If you have any to add, please let me know):
And as a bonus... some cool cage systems if you're already maxing out BTA and BTS bottle carriage. Plus, these can hold 32-oz bottles with less ejection risk.
Weight limits of all 3 of those systems far exceed their listed weight limits. Either that or I've just been lucky so far.
(no affiliation)

or
    or
  3. Complexity of carb source, usually turned to because of desired lower carb intake rate, decided upon because of erroneous belief they're intaking too much fuel for gut issue avoidance.

And NOT related to:

1. Excessive fueling.

you are VERY quickly becoming my favourite poster. THanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an 1100ml+ hydration system in the works, you would need a bigger frame though
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
I've got an 1100ml+ hydration system in the works, you would need a bigger frame though
👀

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issues here, sweaty italian that hates stopping.

Love the elite 950 bottles, wish camel or polar would make similar sizes with their nice tops. I have 3 cages on each bike and sometimes stick an extra bottle in my jersey.

Great post doc.

FP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a couple of the ZEFAL-Magnum bottles. I love the extra ounces of water. Totally noticeable difference. But I was bummed that the lids were not interchangeable with the standard water bottle or my speedfil A2.

Do you know if any of the other bottles you have listed are compatible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great tips! I always leave the house with bigger bottles but I am finding that I have become more sensitive to dehydration, especially during this part of the season when temps are transitioning to warmer. I'll check out the Elite bottles, I think my shop carries them.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe ANY of those 5 bottles share lid compatibility with any other company.

The SIS 1L bottles share lid compatibility with their 600 & 800mL bottles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can vouch for the Soma 38oz bottles. Great for long gravel rides on hot days in remote locations. Simple valve design but they work well and just fit under my top tube frame pack bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bucking the trend of most cyclists, love it. Can't figure out why so many people like the tiny 500 mL bottles. Kinda useless IMO, except as a third bottle.

Just got your book, or rather my girlfriend got it for both of us, can't wait to read it!
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Bucking the trend of most cyclists, love it. Can't figure out why so many people like the tiny 500 mL bottles. Kinda useless IMO, except as a third bottle.

Just got your book, or rather my girlfriend got it for both of us, can't wait to read it!
One of Michelle and my favorite pastimes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post (as usual)...love the SKS anywhere mount. Thanks for the links!!

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goodness this makes sooo much sense. I've honestly just never thought about the simple solution of....just getting bigger bottles! Honestly it makes me feel pretty silly to admit it but it never even occurred to me. I'm 100% sure that this will help me out, both in training and in races.

Thanks! Off to amazon I go!
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [jf64k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
added company name to original post.

Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [Fat Pelican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat Pelican wrote:
Same issues here, sweaty italian that hates stopping.

Love the elite 950 bottles, wish camel or polar would make similar sizes with their nice tops. I have 3 cages on each bike and sometimes stick an extra bottle in my jersey.

Great post doc.

FP

Agreed, the 950ml Elite bottles are by far the best bottle ever made: the lid does not leak, lets a ton of fluid through, easy to clean, can add dust cap for gravel, easy to squeeze. Only downside? they scratch so easily that a printed logo will come off after one ride, so can't use for company bottle. The neck is so minimal that it has trouble staying in a bts cage.

Polar released their 30oz bottles recently and I like them, though rubber is too thick. The new Polar lids/nozzles are also great (not as nice as Elite, but far less likely to leak than a Specialized big mouth nozzle).

bottle ships free with saddles and bts waterbottle cage.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jun 2, 22 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

or
    or

And NOT related to:

1. Excessive fueling.

What do you consider the reason of this to be? (from a practical standpoint)
  1. Not having enough capacity during a race and so using what's on the course?
  2. Having to stop and get more store-bought nutrition/water, and so you partly digest while you're upright and spending the 5 mins getting more? (vs during a race where you're likely at higher intensity and don't stop)
  3. Poor mixing of nutrition for those using a concentrate and mixing with water during a race?
  4. Some other factor?
Last edited by: timbasile: Jun 2, 22 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great List.

The Zefal bottles are solid and I tend to use them most often.
The Soma bottles are bigger, but in my experience, the lids can be prone to popping off / leaking due to the softness of the plastic at the threads (Mountain biking) but YMMV.
The SKS Anywhere Adaptor is great. I've used it on seat posts and top tubes.

More Tips
1. Most Top-tube bags are sloping. If you use them on a sloping top-tube bike (especially mountain bikes) it can be too much slope. I actually run mine backward so that the wedge shape offsets the slope of the top-tube. This seems to help stuff more into the bag as the opening is level.
2. Water Filters are great (depending on your location / worries) for mid-ride top-offs. I use a Katadyn BeFree which is a flexible bottle that you fill and can then squeeze into your main bottles. This works well because 1. They're faster than squeeze / pump versions 2. They pack well 3. You can use them to store additional water.
3. If you're going out for a long time label everything with what it is and when to use it (I use masking tape)
4. If you're going out for a long time write out a plan of what and when and stick it to your top-tube. I know I become real dumb / forgetful after a couple hours.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

or
    or

And NOT related to:

1. Excessive fueling.

What do you consider the reason of this to be? (from a practical standpoint)
Good question.
timbasile wrote:
  1. Not having enough capacity during a race and so using what's on the course?
Maybe a little.
timbasile wrote:
  • Having to stop and get more store-bought nutrition/water, and so you partly digest while you're upright and spending the 5 mins getting more? (vs during a race where you're likely at higher intensity and don't stop)
  • Maybe a little here too.
    timbasile wrote:
  • Poor mixing of nutrition for those using a concentrate and mixing with water during a race?
  • Yes, but I think this is a symptom, not a cause.
    timbasile wrote:
  • Some other factor?
  • Yes. Those other factors:
    1. People don't understand that they must stay hydrated to continue absorbing carbs at their desired rate. Dehydration kills gut tolerance. You can't maintain optimal hydration fueling every 20-40 minutes. At least most people can't.
    2. People have no idea what sugar composition is in their products. There is no way to know, for many companies because they will not disclose. You can do ingredient and nutrition facts math to narrow it down or find out exactly on some products, but on most products, there is no way to know and there is a wide range of possibility.
    3. Lots of companies use carb sources other than what are optimal for ease of digestion. They'll throw in maltodextrin and claim osmolarity benefit (which is minimally important, but then throw in some random fruit juice concentrate or starch, which doesn't pass the gut as readily, dramatically outweighing the benefit of using dextrose, fructose, sucrose, or maltodextrin.

You combine the three things above and you have a recipe for a carb industry where anything goes and there is a revolving door of users trying two dozen different supps. I hope to solve that.[/quote]
    Quote Reply
    Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    xtrpickels wrote:
    3. If you're going out for a long time label everything with what it is and when to use it (I use masking tape)
    4. If you're going out for a long time write out a plan of what and when and stick it to your top-tube. I know I become real dumb / forgetful after a couple hours.
    Solid advice. I hate doing this. I have dreams of our app pushing this info to head units someday. I don't want to think about this stuff anymore and just want to go ride! Maybe I'm just lazy, but I ride bikes because I love riding bikes, not because I like dreaming up fueling plans.

You're right though, if you're going super long, the plan is a must. (adaptability on the fly is handy too, of course.)

Quote Reply
    Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    xtrpickels wrote:
    Great List.

The Zefal bottles are solid and I tend to use them most often.

note: there's a newer 33oz Zefal Pro bottle with a much improved nozzle over the standard Zefal, though they added some weird ridges on the groove/neck of the Pro bottle that affect bts performance. nozzle on Elite still 5x better than even the new Zefal Pro nozzle.

also, a side note on the new Polar single wall bottles: the groove/neck is amazingly ergonomic if you carry a bottle while running (which I do)

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Dehydration kills gut tolerance. You can't maintain optimal hydration fueling every 20-40 minutes.

Is this problem solved by getting all your calories through liquid? My current fueling is as follows:

2 hour bottle
    - 967 cal (~483 cal / hr) as 1.25 cups table sugar
    - 2500-3000 mg sodium as 2.5-3 teaspoons sodium citrate
    - 2-3 packets True Lemon flavoring (get on Amazon cheap)

Fresh water in BTA ~24oz / hr.

ETA I use the Zefal 32 ounce bottles for my 2-hr bottles.

Thank you for EVERY SINGLE THING you've contributed here on ST.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
    Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
    TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
    Last edited by: weakandpuny: Jun 2, 22 13:45
    Quote Reply
    Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Is this the one?

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    DrAlexHarrison wrote:
    1. People don't understand that they must stay hydrated to continue absorbing carbs at their desired rate. Dehydration kills gut tolerance. You can't maintain optimal hydration fueling every 20-40 minutes. At least most people can't.
    2. People have no idea what sugar composition is in their products. There is no way to know, for many companies because they will not disclose. You can do ingredient and nutrition facts math to narrow it down or find out exactly on some products, but on most products, there is no way to know and there is a wide range of possibility.
    3. Lots of companies use carb sources other than what are optimal for ease of digestion. They'll throw in maltodextrin and claim osmolarity benefit (which is minimally important, but then throw in some random fruit juice concentrate or starch, which doesn't pass the gut as readily, dramatically outweighing the benefit of using dextrose, fructose, sucrose, or maltodextrin.

You combine the three things above and you have a recipe for a carb industry where anything goes and there is a revolving door of users trying two dozen different supps. I hope to solve that.

Thanks for the insights! Is one of the solutions then to have a plan for two inputs and mix accordingly? (once you've solved for what you're consuming)
    1 - How much water you need - dictated mostly by course conditions
    2 - How much nutrition you consume - is this a standard rate once you know and have trained your gut?

I don't have room on my setup for big bottles - I have a Zefal behind the seat, but there isn't room on the frame for anything other than standard bottle sizing - so I'm trying to get at the root of the issue.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    DrAlexHarrison wrote:
    Is this the one?

Yes

Quote Reply
    Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    weakandpuny wrote:
    Dehydration kills gut tolerance. You can't maintain optimal hydration fueling every 20-40 minutes.

Is this problem solved by getting all your calories through liquid?
    Not necessarily. I'm filming our next youtube vid on this topic, actually, so timely question here. Should post early next week and be pretty interesting. Title is something like: Solids vs. all liquid carbs

My current fueling is as follows:

2 hour bottle
    - 967 cal (~483 cal / hr) as 1.25 cups table sugar
    - 2500-3000 mg sodium as 2.5-3 teaspoons sodium citrate
    - 2-3 packets True Lemon flavoring (get on Amazon cheap)

Fresh water in BTA ~24oz / hr.

ETA I use the Zefal 32 ounce bottles for my 2-hr bottles.

Thank you for EVERY SINGLE THING you've contributed here on ST.[/quote]
    Most important thing is for there to be enough liquid alongside any solids so that hydration is maintained, independently of carb consumption rate, regardless of where carbs are coming from. There are small tradeoffs of incorporating solids, when out and out performance is the goal.

Quote Reply

Prev Next