Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I know this sounds like an odd question but...
Quote | Reply
What bike do you ride now and why? I'm interested to see what people have to say. The most important question is:

Why do you ride what you ride? Keep it to two or three sentences please....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I know this sounds like an odd question but... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2K

Heard great things about the bike, was in my price range and has delivered. Rides nicely and is comfortable. Is not too expensive and can be upgraded nicely. I'm only going to be soo fast, a higher end bike is not going to make me faster - might make me feel better/look better, but definately not go faster. The P2K simply works for me.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: I know this sounds like an odd question but... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2002 Trek 2000. Why? 'Cause when I got into this sport, I knew NOTHING about bikes, had a budget (which I actually exceeded with the Trek), and I let the salesman talk me into it. That said, the bike does fit. I continue to ride it because my wife won't let me get a new bike.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Last edited by: steveperx: Jan 28, 05 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 4 or 5 year old bianchi campione.

I bought it to ride when the singletrack was muddy, and it was NOS for 1/2 price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant TCR alu w/DA10. light, cheap and handles better then any other bike i've ever ridden. set up as a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1999 cannondale multisport 2000

bought it before i even did my first triathlon because i thought it looked really cool.
Quote Reply
Re: I know this sounds like an odd question but... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old (2001) Cervelo One. My only racing bike, bought it the first year I did triathlons. I admit to having mild bike lust but I'm sure that there is still more improvement to come from tuning the "engine" instead of changing the bike.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike: Cervelo R2.5, I ride it because it fits and I have pretty much always ridden carbon fibre (with one short 18 month stint on TI which I did not enjoy).
Last edited by: PH: Jan 28, 05 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel Talon (road)

Giant NRS (mountain)

I bought the Talon simply because I could get it at a good price and needed a bike after having to sell both my Softride Powerwing and Kestrel 500 SCI. It was unemployed/living in So.Cal/financial issues.

I will be upgrading bikes this year, as I just can't get positioned on the Talon to where I like to race (far forward). It's a nice road bike, but if I only have to have one for the road right now, I'll change back to a tri bike.

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Steelman, because.............................. Steel is Real :^)

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2003 Guru Cron'alu. I am going to ride this bike until it serves its purpose of getting me to the Hawaii Ironman. Then I am going to sell it for mountain climbing equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale R3000. Scary light. Stiff. Handles well. Looks sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Klein Quantum Pro with Shimano Dura-ace wheels, ultegra triple and Profile jammer GT aerobars.

I started riding (a lot) on a Giant TCR, and I decided I wanted something larger and more stable (I am 1,92m and ride mainly long races through hills in Europe). The Klein has deliverd stability (more trail and wheelbase), more comfort and sports a nice straightforward non-sloping frame. I love it.

I had some problems with the paint but the factory have just given me a new frame, so that's OK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2004 QR Kilo

Bought last spring, totally new to triathlons and knew NOTHING about bikes. Recommended to me by a buddy as a good entry level bike.

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2002 Felt TT700

Original choice was between P2K, Talon and S22. Heard (unfounded) rumors of quality issues with P2K. Talon seemed a little too flexy (is that a word?). S22 was in its first year and this beautifull built up TT700 was sitting there costing not much more than the S22. I love having relatively obscure things; used to have a Lotus Europa, a Saab Sonett, a Moto Guzzi 850T. You just don't see many TT700's out there - makes it easy to find my bike in the rack.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Event and good weather bike: Cervelo Dual, comfortable, faster then I'll ever be, and status.

Rainy Day: Trash bin (frame was found in a recycling bin) Mongoose with road tires and wheels... run fat tires and fenders. Don't worry about damage. Feels good when you pass a roadie.

Group rides: '92 Specialized Carbon Epic.
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: I know this sounds like an odd question but... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2003 Felt S32

I wanted a great bang-for-my-buck tri specific bike for low cost. Isn't that this bike in a nutshell? Thinking about upgradin next season to a Cervelo.

Fiance rides a 2002 Cervelo P2K

I got it used for her for an unbelievable price. It's the most beautiful bike I've ever put between my legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2002 Cervelo One

Was the right price with decent spec. I first looked at Cervelo because my brother-in-law has had a Cervelo (Eyre) for 5+ years and it just looked cool. Then when I did my research I really liked what I learned about Cervelo bikes (quality, engineering, proper spec, etc).

I was actually significantly influenced by your review of the Cervelo One during my research - not to mention that I picked Speedplay Zerosand a T1 wetsuit largely based on your reviews as well. Biggest thing I took from your review of the bike was that even though it was the "bottom" of Cervelo's line, it could serve me very well for years to come and would not be a limiter to my performance.

Clay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road: Older Kestrel 200EMS
Tri: QR PicanTi

Why? The Kestrel is a tried and true (albeit old) design. It is comfy and pretty light (2.8lb frame) for a 10 year old bike. When with the QR for it geometry and material. Sorry but just don't like aluminum road bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
04' Guru Tri'ti - Affordable full titanium bike with good component package.

Production frame met my sizing requirements.

Not many Ti Guru's on the racks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2004 Guru Cron-alu w/ Ultegra.

Bought based on budget and in no small part due to the review on Tom's website. Wanted a tri bike to replace an ill-fitting old road bike (bought off of ebay) as I started training for longer distance races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2K - offers everything I need in a tri bike. Can't justify the extra cost for a P3 or carbon frame for the cost to performance ratio difference.

Giant TCR - great road bike IMO. Works well as a tri bike if set up properly. I have an aluminium model but may upgrade to the carbon frame, which would be nice on centuries and long rides. As I ride the TCR more than the P2K, it's easier to justify a frame upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2003 Trek 1000.

I was planning on riding more and then doing some triathlons in 2004, and the 1989 Nishiki entry level bike was really showing some age. I did not want to spend a lot on a new bike because (1) I might not like triathlons or riding more so the new bike might have ended up gathering dust in the garage and (2) if I liked riding more or triathlons, the less I spent on this bike, the sooner I would be able to get a significantly better road bike or a triathlon bike. Current plan is to work on improving the engine for another year or two and then visit Bikesport to figure out which triathlon bike would make sense for me and the family budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Kestrel 200EMS w/full Dura-Ace 9 and Rolf wheels. I got it used, but barely, for $2100 and bought Syntace C-2s and a Profile Fast Forward seatpost with an Azoto saddle to make it convertible, in 10', for road and tri. I feel I got an excellent bike without breaking the bank and pissing off the wife with too many bikes hanging in the garage.
Quote Reply
Steel [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel Dean, road geometry. Been on various tri rigs for many years...simply have more power and, most importantly, MORE FUN on this one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next