Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Haven't grappled my pants but have made a few stops. It makes it tough that I live in Chicago so no real place to hide. Two weeks ago ate a bunch of corn night before long run. Thought I got it all out. 20 minutes to go started to feel really bad. Tried to stop at dunkin donuts but only for paying customers. Same at gas station, but got paper towels. A few minutes later I HAD to go. Found an area that I was kind of hidden. Dropped shorts and went. Nasty. Very nasty. Finished the job home, showered and ate breakfast and tried to hide embarassment.

In Chicago as well and thankfully have never had a blowout but sooo many close calls. Same challenge as you absolutely no place to hide. Even if it's 5am and you're at the very north side of the lake front trail there are always people around, on the flip side on the far south side of the trail I would be nervous OF the people around.

My closest call had me considering jumping into the lake and trying to pull it off in the water..just decided that was too dam gross and hobbled the last 3 miles home instead. That 3 miles felt like more "endurance" was pulled off than an entire 140.6.

90% plant based diet so when I go I'm fairly confident that I've cleaned the pipes (all the fiber etc)..on the other hand that type of diet does produce a lot of gas..and you can never..ever..trust a fart.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has made me feel much better about myself, for a fairly new runner that has had to do the squat behind a bush a few times on a long run.

But seriously why are you all wasting pieces of clothing? You need to move to Australia where gum trees are in abundance. Those leaves have the perfect texture and leave your ass with a nice mild eucalyptus smell, beautiful!
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it get bad at times. At least in the summer they have portopotties by baseball fields but in winter there is NOTHING. That is brutal. No bathrooms and only snow and ice. Let's just hope I make good decisions food wise the rest of the time before long runs!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude,

Shit happens.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
I like a story I heard on marathon talk. There was a guy was out running in Hyde Park in London when nature called. He went around the back of some bushes and let it all out, and just as he finished a dog ran over to him. He pulled his shorts up and was about to head on his way when the dog's owner came around to find his dog. The responsible owner looked at the ground and saw the pile of crap, assumed it was from his dog, so got out his poop bag and scooped up what he could. The runner fled the scene very embarrassed!

Now that is funny!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The general question I have...is this correlated to harder runs, or does any run do this to you?
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YMMV but IME it seems hillier runs upset my stomach more that flat runs but depending on what and when you ate last, anything could cause it.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two theories. The first is a microbial imbalance in the intestines which is somehow made worse by exercise. The second is that some people may start shutting down organ systems during endurance races earlier than others. Science needs to explain this. By the way, I went for a run yesterday, a tempo run for that matter. I was able to finish the run, go to Tokyo Joes and have some food. Get home, let the dogs out, and then I went to the bathroom - perfectly normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
The general question I have...is this correlated to harder runs, or does any run do this to you?

I was wondering about this too.

I am still baffled (but highly amused) by this thread. I can hold it for days if it feels like there is no good opportunity to have a comfortable poop. I have done that on sailing trips - not by any conscious decision, it just happens. So I have never had any of these experiences while running, and nothing close to it either as far as I can remember.

Yet I do 20-25 km (12.4-15.5 mile) runs at least once a week. Is that too little or is there something wrong with me or my diet? ;-)
Last edited by: hermanb: Jun 12, 15 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvogt46 wrote:
This thread has made me feel much better about myself, for a fairly new runner that has had to do the squat behind a bush a few times on a long run.

But seriously why are you all wasting pieces of clothing? You need to move to Australia where gum trees are in abundance. Those leaves have the perfect texture and leave your ass with a nice mild eucalyptus smell, beautiful!

Around here you have to be careful what plants you touch. Poison Ivy leaves look nearly perfect to wipe with... until the next day comes around and you find yourself in extreme distress for the 2+ weeks it takes the rash to go away...
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have shat in the bushes so many times that I have literally lost count. I live and usually run in a rural area near my home just outside of Edmonton, so I've got that going for me, but it's infuriating nonetheless. It doesn't matter if I go first, when it happens on a run, my guts don't care how digested the stuff is or how due it is. Even though I've never been caught, or dropped a load in my drawers, it's goddamn humiliating to find myself, once again, squatting in the bushes.

I always run with a stash of toilet paper in a Ziploc bag, and have used it many times. I forgot my supplies once and got caught out and had to wipe my ass with my favourite (white of course) shirt. I blister so easily I never would've made it home if I'd used a sock. There was no way I was throwing away my shirt, so I carried that shitty mess all the way home.

Frequent post-run conversation with my wife:

Mrs. Marlonius: How was your run?
Me: Don't ask.
Her: Did you have to shit in the bushes again?
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I tend to have the most trouble while running in European cities:

1) Paris: At Place de l'Alma. I found out later that I shat almost directly over where Princess Diana died in a car crash.
Strava link not available (sorry!)

2) Paris (two years later): On a tree in the Jardin des Tuileries after clenching it in while looking for a public toilet, Starbucks, or McDonalds at 7 a.m. on Palm Sunday.
http://labs.strava.com/...ity_header#185529146 (you can see my toilet search begin at about 1:00:00, and pausing for relief at 1:15:00)

3) Venice: In a canal.
http://labs.strava.com/...ity_header#185529141 (at about 26:00)

4) London: St. James Park (behind a bush):
http://labs.strava.com/...ity_header#279936912 (at about the 12:00 mark)

You know you're on Slowtwitch when you read a thread about shitting yourself and there are posts that can back up their claims with Strava links.

Chapeaux, good sir.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
When I lived on the South Side of Chicago, I had a few memorable craps. On long run Saturdays or Sundays, I'd run north from 63rd and LSD. In the summer, I'd try to be out before it was too hot. That meant I was out before the public restrooms unlocked at 7am. The terrible cramping and urge hit me as I ran north, with only grass and the lake on my right. I fortunately, the south side LSD is remote and open, so no one saw me running wildly into the grassy to find some place to unleash. I was really fortunate that someone had a picnic the day before and left a stack of Subway napkins on the ground, spotless. It was a miracle, and so was that tree I shat behind. I continued on my planned 15 miler, only to find an unoccupied Port-a-john 1/4 mile away.

In Tulsa, the cramps hit me as I ran parallel to the Arkansas River on the trail by the railroad tracks on Turkey Mountain. The restroom was a mile up the hill. some really unlucky person driving on Riverside across the river might have seen my bare assed production.

I have never been part of such a miracle as you experienced, but I have actually willingly and happily used the 43rd street bathrooms on the Lakeshore path during a gastrointestinal catastrophe encountered in my first-ever 18 mile run.

The 43rd Street Lakeshore Drive bathrooms make the toilet in Trainspotting look like Mr. Clean's fridge. They are like an autopsy of an elephant made of turds. They are the tenth ring of Hell.

I never before, and never since, have been so happy to be alone as I was for that half hour I spent there.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Not me, but a friend (really).

There was a 10k loop he would do, and on this loop, about half way, was a port-a-john.

He starts his run, passes the port-a-john, but then feels the immediate....need. He turns around and uses the port-a-john.

There was no toilet paper. His choice was to run the rest of the way in crap-filled shorts or to use his shorts as toilet paper, I guess.

Oh...wait...there was a third option. Reach into the waste and re-use some toilet paper that someone else had used.

Yeah...he picked the third option.

That wasn't the third option. The number of options ahead of THAT, which include running home naked past the elementary school, cannot even be counted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once shat in a gazebo in front of the wealthiest neighborhood in the city, 15 meters form a dude mowing the lawn. Any port in a storm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took two shits prior to my run and was feeling good. Just before leaving out the door, I felt a gargle in my stomach that settled just as quickly as it emerged, so I thought I was good to go. 8 minutes into my run there are Porta potty's and a public restroom. Approximately five minutes into my run, I had a clenching sensation in my gut. Again, it came and went quickly, so I thought that I would be okay. Unfortunately for me, the Porta potty's are located on the other side of a 50 yard bridge. I made it halfway over the bridge when my gut said no more. I stopped running with literally nowhere to hide, and the next thing I know it was coming whether I wanted to or not. Thankfully, my lovely saucony running shorts have a built-in diaper that carried my shit for me so only a trace amount of it ended up on my right leg. While sprinting to the bathroom, round two let loose.

I completed the shit on the toilet, and began using toilet paper to clean my shorts. During the process of scooping the brown goo out of my shorts, I managed to decorate my hands. I pulled up the brown stained shorts and proceeded home in shame after washing my hands with only water. Yum. At this point I was laughing. Things took a turn for the hilarious when a hot runner chick going the other direction turned around (apparently at the end of her out and back loop) immediately after passing me. Thankfully she instantly began walking. High probability this was related to some mysterious odor.

Upon returning home, I immediately put in my contacts, ate a sandwich, washed my hands about a dozen times with antiseptic soaps to include hibiclens, and showered twice. Maybe not in that order.
Last edited by: afrizzledfry: Jun 12, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's just say I learned the hard way that I can't have Indian food within 4 hours of a run. An easy z2 run quickly turned into a tempo run to try to make it home which quickly............
This happened twice but I didn't learn my lesson until the second time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Tell me an embarrassing training/racing story so I feel like less of a freak. Oh, and have a great day!

Many years ago I was on a competitive team at the Hood to Coast relay race in Oregon. I was running a 5 mile leg in the early morning. I don't remember the exact time, but it was very dark and not far off the time I usually do my morning dump. Well, I just had to go...badly, but since I was racing for the team, I didn't want to stop. I was probably a mile from my finish when I just let loose. There was nothing I could do. Fortunately, it was so dark nobody could tell even when I handed my bracelet to the next guy. Unfortunately, I had to get back in the van. All I could do was hit a porta potty first and do the best I could to clean up with some baby wipes. While in the van, I could tell I didn't smell too good. Nobody said anything though.
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [hermanb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hermanb wrote:
I can hold it for days if it feels like there is no good opportunity to have a comfortable poop. I have done that on sailing trips - not by any conscious decision, it just happens.

Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
jrielley wrote:
Haven't grappled my pants but have made a few stops. It makes it tough that I live in Chicago so no real place to hide. Two weeks ago ate a bunch of corn night before long run. Thought I got it all out. 20 minutes to go started to feel really bad. Tried to stop at dunkin donuts but only for paying customers. Same at gas station, but got paper towels. A few minutes later I HAD to go. Found an area that I was kind of hidden. Dropped shorts and went. Nasty. Very nasty. Finished the job home, showered and ate breakfast and tried to hide embarassment.

In Chicago as well and thankfully have never had a blowout but sooo many close calls. Same challenge as you absolutely no place to hide. Even if it's 5am and you're at the very north side of the lake front trail there are always people around, on the flip side on the far south side of the trail I would be nervous OF the people around.

My closest call had me considering jumping into the lake and trying to pull it off in the water..just decided that was too dam gross and hobbled the last 3 miles home instead. That 3 miles felt like more "endurance" was pulled off than an entire 140.6.

90% plant based diet so when I go I'm fairly confident that I've cleaned the pipes (all the fiber etc)..on the other hand that type of diet does produce a lot of gas..and you can never..ever..trust a fart.

There's a bathroom almost every mile or two along the whole lakefront path, you just have to know where they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In many years of running, this has *never* happened to me. Except my last two runs... Left the house for a 7 miler, stomach not great. Kinda came and went, interestingly less discomfort the faster I ran. Mile 4 was a climb, so hard effort and no need to go, despite passing a portapot on a totally accessible golf course. Should I stop? Nah, feeling fine right now... Mile 4.5 - hills end and ugh - about to blow. Trying to find the sweet spot of intensity, waddling and making progress toward the public golf course, where a real bathroom awaits. Made it, but just barely. Two days later, all set for a hilly 4.5 run. Didn't really start - 1st hill at mile zero was a butt clench. Tottered about 0.3 miles to a public nature center. Explosion, but inside the target zone. Totally fine run after that. Totally panicked for this weekend's runs...
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, problem is I try to get the runs (no pun intended) out of the way very early, and most times I've checked the places are still locked. It's not an every day thing but when it has come to close calls I've been burned too many times going up to one of those buildings.

What I do now is a 4am wake up, cup of coffee while commenting on ST, bathroom, then out the door by 430. Usually working from Montrose up north and back, and repeat as necessary.

Where are you out of curiosity Windy? If you're ever up for a ride or a run let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The scene was a nice winter run, after dark, with the bride and another running buddy. "George" is a high strung sales type guy who worries more about other people's sweat and farts than anyone I have ever run with.

Its roughly 12F and we are cruising into a brisk north wind on a road between endless grape arbors when the gurgles started. Naturally they got loud enough that my wife and "George" could hear them. Quick progress to clenching and I find myself looking urgently for a spot. Sighting a farm driveway ahead I told them I would catch up later and bolted off the road. Opting for slight cover in the form of a tree next to a culvert I dash over and drop my pants, nearly stepping on the very disturbed o'possum that came booking out of the culvert. Took care of business in an impressive explosion of gas and partially solid matter. I am usually equipped for longer runs but this one was only planned for seven miles, so I found a smooth rock to use for a squeegee. Can anyone say frozen 'taint?

On a positive note, without my headlamp I might have squatted on the darn 'possum!

Smooth sailing for the rest of the run, though it was over a mile before my equipment warmed back up.

My wife and "George" still ride me about that pit stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or running long enough or early enough. I don't think its possible to do a 2+ hour run early without a mid to late run poo. My designated spot is a 24 hour McDonalds on the route.

And unfortunately the digestive system doesn't seem to work until about a hour after waking up, so there is no way I am going to wake up at 4 am for a 5 am run!
Quote Reply
Re: I just shit my pants mid run [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Tried to stop at dunkin donuts but only for paying customers.

That's why I HATE DD! No empathy to fellow human beings whatsoever.

I do carry some cash with me just for these cases. If the situation arises - just leave barista a $5 tip and use the facilities. If that happens often enough - people will start remembering you :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next