Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . .
Quote | Reply
can go to view it if I don't have a PT?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could download PowerAgent from Saris - free download.
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could open it with excel since it is probably a csv file.

If not then open it with Notepad or Wordpad using "all files" to see what format it is in.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Enabler.
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If not then open it with Notepad or Wordpad using "all files" to see what format it is in.

jaretj
It is a wko file. I downloaded Power Agent and it won't open it. What can be used?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wko :-)

or upload it into training peaks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

jaretj
It is a wko file. I downloaded Power Agent and it won't open it. What can be used?

You can send it to me and I'll open it up in WKO. Unfortunately my analysis will probably say:

Powercranks caused a 30% drop in this athlete's FTP.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I wasn't aware it was a wko file.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, I wasn't aware it was a wko file.

jaretj
There is a command line tool out there in the interwebs somewhere.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious.

You market a $1K product that claims to improve cycling efficiency and power yet you don't know what efficiency is or how to view a powermeter file... hmmmmmm (^tm ?)

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

jaretj

You can send it to me and I'll open it up in WKO. Unfortunately my analysis will probably say:

Powercranks caused a 30% drop in this athlete's FTP.

Thanks, Chris
I look forward to your analysis. He tells me his FTP a year earlier was 270 watts. Check your email inbox for the file.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [Lycurgus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. Turns out the fellow also sent me a csv file later on so I don't need that now. Anyhow, numbers seem pretty impressive to me but we will see what Lakerfan says.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He tells me his FTP a year earlier was 270 watts.
Typical Frank Day BS.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Typical Frank Day BS.
You don't even know what the file shows (I put in the FTP because Chris predicted the file would show his FTP dropped 30%, he needed something for reference) but, aside from that, let me understand what part of "he tells me" is the BS so I can strive to do better in the future. Is it he didn't really tell me, I made it up that he told me, or he told me his FTP but I made up it was 270, or something else?

Anyhow, his FTP in this file is so high that even without his telling us what he was at a year earlier, I doubt Chris will conclude his FTP is down 30%. But, we will see.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty straightforward... It shows an extremely solid 1hr all-out effort. 1:02 in total time but his Peak60min was AP = 404w; NP = 404w. Ave cadence = 90rpms with a steady climb in HR starting out in the 140bpms and ending up in the 170bpms. I thought his execution was dead on. He starts out around 365 - 375w and ends up averaging ~435w the last 4.5min.

This dude is an animal. This file is almost too perfect, imho.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Typical Frank Day BS.
You don't even know what the file shows (I put in the FTP because Chris predicted the file would show his FTP dropped 30%, he needed something for reference) but, aside from that, let me understand what part of "he tells me" is the BS so I can strive to do better in the future. Is it he didn't really tell me, I made it up that he told me, or he told me his FTP but I made up it was 270, or something else?

Anyhow, his FTP in this file is so high that even without his telling us what he was at a year earlier, I doubt Chris will conclude his FTP is down 30%. But, we will see.
It's typical Frank Day BS since we can't draw a curve or a straight line with only one data point (this PT file). He very well may have told you 270W. How do we know that it was 270W? Where's his PT file from back then? Another unsubstantiated claim.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I just got sent a PowerTap file. Is there somewhere I. . . [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pretty straightforward... It shows an extremely solid 1hr all-out effort. 1:02 in total time but his Peak60min was AP = 404w; NP = 404w. Ave cadence = 90rpms with a steady climb in HR starting out in the 140bpms and ending up in the 170bpms. I thought his execution was dead on. He starts out around 365 - 375w and ends up averaging ~435w the last 4.5min.

Thanks, Chris
LOL. Why don't you compare it to a 1 hr effort you have done on the rollers. The rollers really smooth the effort, wouldn't you think. Too perfect, indeed. Better check it for signs of manipulation a la you know who. LOL.

Ugh, and does it show evidence of a drop in FTP of 30% as you predicted?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks, Chris
LOL. Why don't you compare it to a 1 hr effort you have done on the rollers. The rollers really smooth the effort, wouldn't you think. Too perfect, indeed. Better check it for signs of manipulation a la you know who. LOL.

You do know that the 30% drop prediction was a joke, right? There's no way one could tell whether there was an increase or decrease by evaluating a single power file.

Btw, the "This file is almost too perfect" comment was intended to be a compliment to the athlete. Honestly, it's extremely rare when I see a 1hr all-out effort. Most people do 30min, 2 or 3 x 20s, etc. Also, anything inside whether it's on rollers or a trainer will smooth the effort since it's really really hard to find a perfectly flat course outside for many of us. Otherwise, I cannot comment further because I just evaluate the data I see. There are no clear signs up manipulation but then that's not something I really attempt to look for either. I just make sure the torque is zeroed. Again, I could only dream of being that strong.

What would be most helpful in drawing any conclusions would be to see at least a couple of power files from a year ago and then a couple of current ones.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks, Chris

You do know that the 30% drop prediction was a joke, right? There's no way one could tell whether there was an increase or decrease by evaluating a single power file.

Btw, the "This file is almost too perfect" comment was intended to be a compliment to the athlete. Honestly, it's extremely rare when I see a 1hr all-out effort. Most people do 30min, 2 or 3 x 20s, etc. Also, anything inside whether it's on rollers or a trainer will smooth the effort since it's really really hard to find a perfectly flat course outside for many of us. Otherwise, I cannot comment further because I just evaluate the data I see. There are no clear signs up manipulation but then that's not something I really attempt to look for either. I just make sure the torque is zeroed. Again, I could only dream of being that strong.

What would be most helpful in drawing any conclusions would be to see at least a couple of power files from a year ago and then a couple of current ones.

Thanks, Chris
I will see if I can get those files for you.

After the Joaquin episode I am not sure what people say "in jest" or not when someone says it is "too perfect". And, I wouldn't have concluded he did an all out effort because of his ability to increase the wattage that last 5 minutes substantially. It seems clear he was feeling very strong and took it up another notch (getting as high as 600 watts) when he knew the clock wouldn't get him. I suspect if he had done it again a couple of weeks later he could have averaged 410 or so if he had paced himself differently. Unfortunately, he graduated and lost some fitness moving around etc so that wasn't done and his "current files" will have no bearing on what he was doing then.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given how conservative he started, I'm not surprised he was able to notch it up a bit in those last ~5min. Again, his specific approach to how he executed that 1hr all-out effort was one big reason why I stated his file was almost too perfect. If that wasn't an all-out effort then I'd really like to see one.

Btw, just an observation but I think you tend to over-analyze people's comments. Don't read too deeply into them like there's some hidden meaning. I don't tend to hide my feelings. If I think something sucks, is misleading/deceptive, etc then I'll tell you it sucks, is misleading/deceptive, etc and I'll usually tell you why too. I can understand why you have a difficult time making allies at times. Someone does you a favor and somehow I walk away kinda feeling like I'm an enemy.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Given how conservative he started, I'm not surprised he was able to notch it up a bit in those last ~5min. Again, his specific approach to how he executed that 1hr all-out effort was one big reason why I stated his file was almost too perfect. If that wasn't an all-out effort then I'd really like to see one.

Btw, just an observation but I think you tend to over-analyze people's comments. Don't read too deeply into them like there's some hidden meaning. I don't tend to hide my feelings. If I think something sucks, is misleading/deceptive, etc then I'll tell you it sucks, is misleading/deceptive, etc and I'll usually tell you why too. I can understand why you have a difficult time making allies at times. Someone does you a favor and somehow I walk away kinda feeling like I'm an enemy.

Thanks, Chris
a 30% drop in FTP comment is "doing me a favor"? Sorry for being so "sensitive".

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks, Chris
a 30% drop in FTP comment is "doing me a favor"? Sorry for being so "sensitive".

You know what, send the files to someone else. I'm done here.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a professional snake oil salesman, I would expect you would be used to having your balls busted regularly. Door-to-door salesmen, telemarketers, and other parasites of society can take it, so can you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next