Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike?
Quote | Reply
All

I have just entered my first Ironman after 2 x 70.3. I want to be able to do the bike course in a reasonable time but be comfortable. I am very much an average Triathlete but want to get round in something respectable.

Suggestions please?

SD
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [stdawson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stdawson wrote:
All

I have just entered my first Ironman after 2 x 70.3. I want to be able to do the bike course in a reasonable time but be comfortable. I am very much an average Triathlete but want to get round in something respectable.

Suggestions please?

SD

Not sure if this bike will fit you or not, but I have a buddy on my team who bought a brand new 2011 Cervelo P3 DA in size 61CM in April and then got a season ending injury. The bike was never ridden. I am sure he would let it go for close to your $3000 number. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I will put you in touch with him.
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [stdawson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a red one

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [Cheddar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I'm 6'5" and ride a 61cm P2C. I have plenty of room on that bike and comfortable fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stdawson wrote:
All

Suggestions please?

SD
The P2 (either C or SL) is probably a very good bet... the stack is greater absolutely than any of the other big manufacturer frames out there, even if the geometry more favors longer riders. I'm 6'7", and while I have to do some creative things to get super aero on my bike (praying mantis!), I can get into a very good position.

On my P2SL, for less than $3,000, I've got a sweet full racing setup, including a powertap rear, a joule 2.0, wheel cover, a tri spoke front; with the leftover funds, I was even able to buy a nice bikestand and complete tool set. So stoked on my aluminum racer over a carbon bike, given my budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define respectable? Keeping up with the Jones's? Yup,I am just being a typical slowtwitcher....

Cervelo,Felt, Trek will all have something that will be the right size not necessarily will fit you, just depends on your build (Legs, torso, etc..) and your flexibility.

Go around and find some local tri shops and see if any will do a fitting and make a recommendation. This way you can possibly look for something used.

P2's are a great value!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4" with a longer torso and ride a QR CD0.1 comfortably. I believe they can be had for that number (or close to) nowadays.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks all for the guidance!
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I lower $3000 to $2000....

I have just looked at my Bank statement....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike do you ride during triathlons now? What makes you think you might need a different bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2k or P2SL.

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cannondale Slice 60cm and it fits a treat. I also tried the P2C but found the Slice was a slightly better fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm exactly 6'5" and after a LOT of searching the perfect bike, I mean perfect was the Cervelo p1 in 61cm, The people at colorado multisport were super helpful with this and I tried the bike for a long time before I considered it perfect. I know the aluminum is scary to some people, but it really is a comfortable ride.
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [CJAthey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'7" on a 61cm P2c

Are you local to So cal? You can ride mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'7". I ride a L size Lynskey. They actually make a larger one now which, I believe, is the largest stock size frame out there. It would be interesting to try but they did not make it until this year. The size L that I ride has similar stack and reach as the 61cm P2. 61cm Cervelo also works better than most other things but has me a little low up front - i am mostly legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 2000? Cervelo P1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4" on a P2, very roomy.
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [JClishe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'5 and have a 58cm P2C, it was close with the 61cm P3 but the P2C has a higher head tube which if you are new to the sport would possibly be a better option.
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [Miloman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'6" with a 60cm Trek Equinox 7, translated to your option of a Speed Concept 2.5. I love my bike, and the speed concept is that much better with cleaner welds, more aero frame, better adjustability. And, it's right around your budget. You should be able to get one for 1800 tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made the switch to Valdora from a Trek Equinox and the difference is unbelievable! I am 6'5" and the fit of the bike is perfect for me, the ride quality is above anything that I can describe, just simply smooth, it turns rough roads into smooth, fresh paved asphalt. It eats up the road vibration, leaving your legs fresher for the run.
If you have a chance to test ride one you will be amazed, check them out at the very least.

Springy
Kingman, AZ

http://www.valdoracycles.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 7" and got a custom Guru TT. I spent a bit more than your budget but I'd suggest taking a look at the custom route given your dimensions. They were great to deal with have a lot of experience with unique fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'4" on a P2
Quote Reply
Re: I have ~ $3000 to spend and am 6ft5ins - what Tri bike? [key4871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at a Planet X based on feedback and price....

Can't afford Cervelo/Trek/Cannondale.........price in pounds is same as price in dollars....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 5" Product Manager for Kestrel. Design all our bikes to fit me and others our size. Talon or Talon SL is the best fitting large bike. Definately designed for big boys plus it allows both road and triathlon use.
Quote Reply

Prev Next