Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I hate reality
Quote | Reply
Despite a MN winter and all, I've managed 1400 miles this year on the bike and think I'm doing pretty good. Gonna be 40 in a week and most of my training has been for racing as Tri's will be the mid to late summer focus. I do a ride with a local Cat 3 kid who has shown lot's of promise and he takes me out and flogs the daylights out of me. We have a 15mph side/headwind and he's doing 23-24mph for 10 miles and I'm gagging like a dog drafting as close as I dare. I just can't beleive with all the work that I'm so out of the game. Is this just me and how much can I blame my age?

Before you know it your just "mean ole man mark" These kids don't get any older these days."

Something like that from Breaking away.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate reality [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you can't blame age too much. I think you'll come around pretty darn quick. It sounded like the first outside ride of the ear in some pretty tough conditions. Give yourself credit! You'll be flying in two weeks I bet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hey, you ain't old. Look at what Dave Scott did at Kona when he was 40..... I can't remember exactly right now because I'm old and feeble but it was pretty damn good I think. Top 10 or something....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was finishing this morning's long ride. At about mile 72, I passed a gang of grey-haired guys 20-25 years older than me (I'm 43). They dropped out of sight back down the road within a few minutes, but they were just riding easy.

A few miles later, I head up the last hill of the day, about 2 miles at 5.5%. I'm holding a respectable pace when one of the old guys goes hauling ass past me up that grade. Like any other fool, I shift up and hang on to him. I held on, but only did so by riding at ~75 watts above my average on the day. He wasn't even breathing hard.

So -- it goes both ways, you know!
Quote Reply