Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I got DQ'd for wearing a skin cooler long sleeve top
Quote | Reply
I was wearing this:

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-tops/products/skin-cooler-long-sleeve-top

I was doing a middle distance (70.3 distance, but not WTC) race. I finished, and after I crossed the finish line I was approached by a technical official who informed me that I was not allowed to race in long sleeves (the temperature was 30°C / 86 F in the shade; little to no shade on the route). I asked said official to show me in the rules where it was not allowed; and was referred to section 2.8.c.iii and 2.8.c.v in https://www.triathlon.org/...ition-rules_2018.pdf (page 13)

2.8.c.iii reads as follows:

Quote:

Arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden. Arms must not be covered on standard distance and shorter events, except in extreme weather conditions. The decision rests with Technical Delegate in consultation with the Medical Delegate (if applicable) to allow or make mandatory long sleeves.

2.8.c.v reads as follows:

Quote:

Athletes are allowed to wear uniforms with sleeves extending from the shoulder up to but not covering the elbow except super-sprint, sprint and standard distance triathlon.

The conversation was polite and cordial, despite being very unpleasant to endure.

The official's argument was as follows:

2.8.c.iii allows the athlete to cover the arms when wetsuits are forbidden. In this race the water was cold (15°C), and hence made this a wetsuit compulsory swim and therefore arms may be not covered. Given the race distance no other sentence in that clause was applicable.

2.8.c.v explicitly prevents arms being covered from the elbow to the wrist except for shorter distance events.

This is freaking insane. I'm pissed beyond words. What crap is this? Surely for long and hot races you want to cover up? Why would you want to cover up for shorter things? Such bullshit.

Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 11, 18 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a gross misinterpretation of the rules...

Edit: Why are they referring you to the ITU rules instead of the USAT rules? Do they use different rules since this was the Long Distance Champs in Miami?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 11, 18 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still sorting through the details of the dq. Seems like crap. Having said that, I also think the thread title is crap too

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I think this is a gross misinterpretation of the rules...

Edit: Why are they referring you to the ITU rules instead of the USAT rules? Do they use different rules since this was the Long Distance Champs in Miami?

Race was destination race, not in the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I’m still sorting through the details of the dq. Seems like crap. Having said that, I also think the thread title is crap too

Have updated title to represent facts precisely.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto Skin Cooler Long Sleeve Top [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be dense and somewhat clueless about definitions, but doesn't 70.3 = middle distance? (In which case you can wear sleeves no problem except during a no-wetsuit swim when it would be legal to put on sleeves after the swim?)

And isn't 2.8 c.v.indicating that in short events a suit must be sleeveless (not allowing long sleeves only in short events)?

In any case, these rules are terribly written, and it's too bad you were DQ'd.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto Skin Cooler Long Sleeve Top [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
I may be dense and somewhat clueless about definitions, but doesn't 70.3 = middle distance? (In which case you can wear sleeves no problem except during a no-wetsuit swim when it would be legal to put on sleeves after the swim?)
And isn't 2.8 c.v.indicating that in short events a suit must be sleeveless (not allowing long sleeves only in short events)?

In any case, these rules are terribly written, and it's too bad you were DQ'd.

Yup, 70.3 is middle distance, and yes I've raced in these amazing tops before without being hassled. And I fully intend on doing so again in the future.

We share the interpretation of those clauses. Technical official disagrees, their word being gospel for the race.

Is it possible to get the ITU to write an interpretation of these clauses?
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto Skin Cooler Long Sleeve Top [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the rules throw up a big “eff you” to older folks concerned about skin cancer.

This kind of picky crap is as bad as the UCI and socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your DQ. That’s a messed up rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucks, did I cost u anything.... i.e qualifiers for another race?
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing De Soto Skin Cooler Long Sleeve Top [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Sucks, did I cost u anything.... i.e qualifiers for another race?

Nope, but it might if this incorrect interpretation continues to persist.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing a skin cooler long sleeve top [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone will probably school me on my poor comprehension of the English language (was there any kind of a language barrier?), but your official is not understanding the sleeve/wetsuit sentence. My grammar isn’t such I can answer with grammatical phrases, but it says “arms MAY be covered, EXCEPT during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden.” I.e. you can wear full sleeves at your distance for bike and run. You can’t wear them in the water if it is not wetsuit legal. The “when wetsuits are forbidden” is referencing “during the swim”. Where is the face palm?!

Sorry for the crappy comprehension by the official! I’d email the ITU and see if you can get a clarification sent to you and the official.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing a skin cooler long sleeve top [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official is misinterpreting the rule due to the comma. The intent is so that people aren't swimming in non-wetsuit swims with arm coverings. In all fairness it could/should be re-written to be more clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden. Arms must not be covered on standard distance and shorter events, except in extreme weather conditions. The decision rests with Technical Delegate in consultation with the Medical Delegate (if applicable) to allow or make mandatory long sleeves.

This is an example where a misplaced comma matters. The sentence "arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden" based on the placement of the second comma actually states:

"arms may be covered in middle and long distance events [..] when wetsuits are forbidden"

This doesn't seem to make any sense. My interpretation of what the rule is meant to say is:

"arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim when wetsuits are forbidden."

The irony about this is you could appeal to the Medical Delegate (i.e. the race doctor / NP / PA / etc) for an exception based on the above rule. I don't know a single doc that would say you can't wear sleeves if your rationale is to minimize the risk of skin cancer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a farce! I have been wearing sun sleeves for the last few years training and racing for two reasons. I believe they do keep you cooler without the sun beating directly on the skin, but more importantly, I have had melanoma and take precautions wherever I can! I applaud you for having a civil conversation upon being told of the DQ, don't know if I would have remained calm in the same situation. Seems like this official was on a power trip and ignored common sense. Hope it can be rectified and you are reinstated in the results.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing a skin cooler long sleeve top [TriDocIII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDocIII wrote:

This is an example where a misplaced comma matters. The sentence "arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden" based on the placement of the second comma actually states:

"arms may be covered in middle and long distance events [..] when wetsuits are forbidden"

This doesn't seem to make any sense. My interpretation of what the rule is meant to say is:

"arms may be covered in middle and long distance events, except during the swim when wetsuits are forbidden."

The irony about this is you could appeal to the Medical Delegate (i.e. the race doctor / NP / PA / etc) for an exception based on the above rule. I don't know a single doc that would say you can't wear sleeves if your rationale is to minimize the risk of skin cancer...

I agree entirely with you, the comma is everything here.

In a strict reading the rule is saying that you can cover your arms only when wetsuits are forbidden, but, in that situation you cannot cover them during the swim. Your race was wetsuit legal so it was a breach of the rules to wear long sleeves. It’s nonsensical, but it’s the rule as it is written.

If the real purpose of the rule is that you can wear long sleeves during middle distance, then for absolute clarity it should say “long sleeves (where the sleeve extends below the elbow) may be worn during all legs of a middle distance race unless wetsuits are forbidden for the swim, in which case athlete shall not be entitled to wear long sleeves (where the sleeve extends past the elbow) during the swim”

No mistaking the intent then.
Quote Reply
Re: I got DQ'd for wearing a skin cooler long sleeve top [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo! Ref is a dumbass

SkyFly Gal wrote:
Someone will probably school me on my poor comprehension of the English language (was there any kind of a language barrier?), but your official is not understanding the sleeve/wetsuit sentence. My grammar isn’t such I can answer with grammatical phrases, but it says “arms MAY be covered, EXCEPT during the swim, when wetsuits are forbidden.” I.e. you can wear full sleeves at your distance for bike and run. You can’t wear them in the water if it is not wetsuit legal. The “when wetsuits are forbidden” is referencing “during the swim”. Where is the face palm?!

Sorry for the crappy comprehension by the official! I’d email the ITU and see if you can get a clarification sent to you and the official.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply