Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I filled the void left by Cervélo...
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I’ve been a reader of this forum for a number of years but decided its about time I made a contribution!

I’ve been on my Traithlon journey for 4 years - and like many of you - researched my first bike on this forum!

I originally went with the Cervélo P2 on the basis that if it was good enough for Chrissie Wellington to win Kona on it, it would be good enough for me 🤣

In 2016 as my confidence and experience grew, I picked up a second hand P5 and have been continually refining it - completing mostly Olympic and 70.3 events.

One of my continued points of frustration was the lack of aero storage on the P5. After years of looking around I decided to solve the problem myself - buying a 3D printer and learning the skills to design and build components.

So without further fanfare I’d like to share what I’ve created - an aero storage solution for the cervelo P5 capable of storing:
1 x latex tyre
2 x co2 cylinders
1 x co2 dispenser
1 x tyre lever

Interested in people’s thoughts on possible improvements!
Last edited by: JB78: Oct 3, 18 18:35
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [JB78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds cool, any pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a good imagination, but I'd really like to see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics?
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn’t happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Newbie fail... had to switch from phone to laptop to upload pics... Let me know if you can't see them now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's outstanding. You have done a great job!

Price? I'm going to post this then go back and look to see if you put it in the first post!

ETA The first thing that comes to mind is how to get into it if it requires an allen key - although I have a bento, so it's doable...but it looks really impressive. Other improvements? Dimple it like the Scott ones? ;)

Very nice work!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Oct 3, 18 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it open and close? Do you have a picture of it open?
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have literally got through over 15 different designs trying to design a solution that is secure, robust, and not likely to break due to fatigue over time.

The allen bolt at the top is hand screwed into a bolt thats press fit into the base. Pictures attached.
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the kudos dfru...

One of the things I tried to avoid was any design infringements with the Drag2Zero box made for the Scott bikes... hence my design for the enclosure.

The allen bolt is hand tightened only - no need for an allen key. I've currently got some D-Ring screw bolts on order (similar to what you find on camera tripods). This will allow for a flush fit going forward.

Re: price. To be honest I hadn't considered this as a business opportunity to date... was just focussed on building something to address my own point of frustration ;)

I'd be interested to hear if there is broader demand for this, and what other people thing a fair value would be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a hine with a snap latch on the other side? Kind of like how the seat to a motor scooter opens up for helmet and acxessory storage.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice! Need something similar for my P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good. Any wind tunnel or testing data on it yet?
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Only eyeball style!

... but happy to supply one for testing if you have a session booked in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I like the way it fits in with the Elite Crono

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've modified a Torhans VR bottle and that has worked - but eliminated the bosses for the waterbottle as you have it. I only included the dimple idea because of the only thing really missing from the Scott bike haha.

If you do decide...I think you would have an audience...the hard part is sizing between all the sizes. I have a 51...what size is your P5?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 56 frame but should be able to easily scale the 3D model. Out of interest, what’s the distance of the horizontal section for a size 51 frame (between the wheel arch and the down tube)
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have the same horizontal mounting bolt as the P5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you're going to have one hell of a market...
I'd be into one for an XL speed concept!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would this fit a P3?

If so then I would definitely be up for one.
Quote Reply
Re: I filled the void left by Cervélo... [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest challenge here is varying frame geometry and mounting points across brands and models... guessing this is why there are very few options for this type of kit.

Maybe it would be best to design an aero box similar in shape to the elite chrono bottle that could be mounted to bikes with vertical mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t, it’s a 2013 so the frame is different unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goob job ¡¡¡
Price ?

I´m really interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JB78 wrote:
I have the 56 frame but should be able to easily scale the 3D model. Out of interest, what’s the distance of the horizontal section for a size 51 frame (between the wheel arch and the down tube)

Assuming you mean like your picture at the base of the bottle, that section - only about 48mm - looks smaller than your 56, and this is probably where you run into issues...

Quote Reply

Prev Next