Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are....
Quote | Reply
the poorest maintained group of bikes I have ever seen headed to an Ironman.

We have a bunch of bikes here for pick-up by Tri-Bike transport. The people who own them are telling us, "They are fine- ready to go.... I had it all tuned up!"

This is what we found this morning:
  • One broken frame (severly dented and cracked under top tube at seat tube).
  • Three bikes with more spacers on the steer tube than any fork manufacturer would be comfortable with.
  • Six (6!) rear brake cables with housing seriously kinked at the rear brake barrel adjust making the brakes feel very stiff and sluggish.
  • One seized BB producing an incredible amount of drag.
  • Two bikes with the handlebar tape on backwards so that it rolls up when you grip the base bars.
  • One bike with the elbow pads on backwards.
  • A bike headed to Ironman Florida for a 10:10 finisher but equipped with a 12-27 cogset. This cogset nearly exceeds the limit of the rear derailleur on the bike and actually rubs the top jockey wheel in the 27 tooth cog with the "B" screw turned all the way in. Who needs a 12-27 in Florida? the course is flat!
  • All bikes are not just dirty- they are filthy.
  • Numerous corroded stem bolts.

I don't want to come off as uppety or snobish or a know-it-all, but these people trained hard and long and paid big money for these bikes and to be in the race. They are paying good money to get their bikes to the race- but they are not performing even the most basic PMCS (Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services) on them.

It seems like people would learn from wathcing the Tour de France on TV. That they would get used t the idea that the bikes are washed and maintained. I know the average athlete can't do that after every long ride- it isn't even necessary. But it is a good idea before a big, important event like Ironman.

It bothered us so bad we just decided to wash the bikes, lube them, safety check them and re-tape the ones that are done backwards. I just couldn't stand to see these bikes sent to the race in this condition.

And yes, I did photograph them all.... But i am too busy working on them right now to put up the photos. they are ugly.....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clean them up as you are doing ought to dispel the notion you are a dick.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just dropped mine off at our local shop for the same transport service. I must say, mine is showroom clean and tuned. Anyone who knows me personally wouldn't be surprised. Even applied and removed a coat of Bike Lust for that aero advantage;) But I know what you mean, just take a look at the racks at any Ironman.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [Jerrodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on that one...that's very cool of you, Tom, to go above and beyond for a bunch of...well, let's leave it at that.

You're okay, Tom, no matter what anyone says about you. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Despite what Francois says, I agree. You're all right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you call the person with the broken frame? Some of it just shows lack of planning or ignorance but that is a real issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on some of the comments I have been reading on the forum here, it sounds like most of the bikes are going to get pee'd on at some point during the race anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tells me they were probably doing too much training in the last couple of weeks...somewhere in there should have been time for a complete tuneup and checkover...either that or whoever did the service SUCKS. A cracked frame? A seized BB?

I can MAYBE understand some dirt and filth with the rain in the last few days (did you get any up there?), although a quick spin of the chain through a cleaner would still not have taken more than 2-3 minutes tops, including prep and cleanup time.

Anyway...you know what some say...Its better to be lucky than good...and these folks are LUCKY their stuff came through a concientious shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uh hahaha dick hahahaha

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, well done, great service!

Now that being said, next year, should you touch any bikes going to IMMOO from competitors in the M2529 AG, I would appreciate you keeping your observations to yourself....or better yet, cut a cable, strip a bolt.......in other words, give me a shot at KONA!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not a dick. They'll never learn if you don't point out mistakes like that. At least you kept them from arriving to Panama City with filthy, messed up gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did people even complete their training with some of those problems? Geez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geeze man, all that is unreal. you've probably saved alot of problems for somebody at IMF. the person with the cracked frame...hope that comes out ok for them. that's really too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I hope when you post the photos my bike isn't one of these you're talking about. I perform maintainence on my bike frequently and will be embarassed as hell if one those things is wrong with my bike... especially the dirty part!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Super cool of you to go above and beyond like that.......I guess these knuckleheads have never heard that "a clean bike is a fast bike!".......I mean...would they treat their legs like that....I think not!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two potential outcomes that may be good or bad...

(1) The word is out that your shop will clean and service any bike that it sends to a race. For free.

(2) That person with the cracked frame may try to blame you for the damage (good thing you have pictures).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Good reality check for me.

On my new bike with Vision bars (which I do like) I am getting corroded stem bolts, arm pad bolts, star nut bolts, etc....what do you recommend and why do I have this problem when I never had it on the old bike with Syntace Bars?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would at least write them a note to let them know. Some people act like they expect to have repairs/maintenance done free because they're having their bike shipped and paying for that.

I'd at least clue them in to the fact that you did that for them and it was not the bike fairy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really breaks my heart. such nice bikes and such an important race. Seriously, I lie awake at night over shit like this.

Unseated shift cable housing, rusted brake cable inner, bunched up brake cable housing: Smashed housing going into brake barrel adjuster: Filthy: Dirty lubricant residue sprayed onto braking surface of rim: Dangerous- compromises braking. This is a $2000 wheel set! This is so worn and dirty it will actually degrade front shifting. This is race ready? Another kinked shift cable housing (this bike did not come from our store) and nasty inner cable: Carrying a pump in Ironman takes longer to inflate a tire and uses more energy. Also- this pump is significantly heavier than a CO2 cartridge and a threaded inflator head. OK for training, but not optimal on race day. Yeah, we did ask if there was a reason for this. There wasn't: Close up of the one we saw above. Not nice: Sure, using spacers is fine..... Note: This is a 1" diameter carbon fiber steer tube. The more spacers the merrier! Handlebar tap applied backwards: For the mountainous course at Ironman Florida..... Hmmmmm. Must have failed puzzles in Kindergarten: Darn that car rack. How did I miss this? I mean, it's OK to ride this..... Isn't it? Yeah, I washed it..... In June. This is my most important race of the year.... I'm all ready to go! dude..... I bought a Cervelo because they are more aerodynamic than any other frame! (Two words: Parasite drag). I really do sweat a lot....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
**TAKES DEEP BREATH**
**exhale**

None of those are mine. whew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, are you worried at ALL about someone completely freaking out when their bike gets turned into them looking clean and therefore obviously messed with? When I transport my bike, usually on top of my car, I have plans to do the final cleaning and tweaking once I arrive. I appreciate your efforts and you know what you're doing and are doing this because you care. However, I for one might be completely freaked out if my handlebar tape was re-wrapped when my bike arrived. I'd definitely wonder what else was done to it.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't mean to be a dick, but this latest group of bikes we got going to Ironman florida are.... [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did try calling the guy with the dented frame. We don't have his phone number. The guy with the B2 was adamant about it "not needing service". I didn't want to appear to be a bigger asshole than I already am. I just said, "Yes Sir, have a good race!"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take that back. You ARE a DICK, Tom. There is nothing wrong with those bikes. Lighten up, Francis.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two comments:
  1. Don't assume that the frame pump will be on the bike come race day. What better way to ship your frame pump than attached?
  2. How much stress does the top tube/seat tube junction actually encounter? If you're gonna ding a frame, that'd be the place to do it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the one with the ritchey stem sloping down with 6" of spacers............

Jim
Quote Reply

Prev Next