Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I don't always wash my training gear
Quote | Reply
I usually go from my trainer or from my run directly into the shower. I let everything soak in hot water while it is on my body ( HR monitor, headband, tri shorts/running shorts, compression top, etc). After its saturated, I'll remove it and wash regularly allowing soap suds to get in the clothes and wring them out. Then I hang them to dry, they are usually dry in a few hours. Much quicker turn around than if I put them in the wash- I may not see them again for a few days. However, I came in from a run yesterday and my fiance said I smelled like a homeless man. Can you relate or am I the only one?
E
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um...that’s insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're obviously not washing them enough. You can also do a quick sink press and rinse to get everything out - it takes 10 seconds and you can use real detergent that you keep in the bathroom.

If that's not working enough, layer some febreeze on top and you'll be smelling like fresh lavender or cotton.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering most tech fabrics say to wash them with cold water, it sounds like you're doing a number on your workout gear by using hot water and also wringing it out. also, do you notice if people avoid running/biking near you when you do group activities? if so, i might know why.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I shall try this.
E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy more shirts. Shorts I stretch it to 2-3 uses if I am not soaking them in sweat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But when I do, I wash it with Dos Seces.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
you only use a pair of shorts 2-3 times? What kind of shorts are we talking here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
Abergili wrote:
Buy more shirts. Shorts I stretch it to 2-3 uses if I am not soaking them in sweat

you only use a pair of shorts 2-3 times? What kind of shorts are we talking here?

I'm thinking "2-3 uses between washes" was meant

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
But when I do, I wash it with Dos Seces.

Stay stinky, my friend

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
Thank you. I shall try this.
E

These EZ squirt concentrated detergents are where it’s at if you’re doing this frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/...x=method+&sr=8-7

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a video and we'll be able to make better comments.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just ordered some
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
just ordered some

lol nice - that stuff is convenient

Your fiancé will be happy

Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 2, 20 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wash my stuff in the shower like you do, but after it dries it goes in the laundry pile. The "shower wash" is just to get the sweat and bacteria off the fabric.

When travelling, I've found that the "shower/sink wash" was good for getting a second ride out of a pair of bibs, tech tee, shorts or socks. Past that, they were definitely not fresh at the start of a workout.

Beyond the smell factor, you really want clean bike shorts/bibs. Saddle sores suck.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same, to help it avoid stinking up dirty clothes pile. Or I will at least hang dry it without washing before putting it in dirty laundry so it isn’t sweaty-wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
I usually go from my trainer or from my run directly into the shower. I let everything soak in hot water while it is on my body. After its saturated, I'll remove it and wash regularly allowing soap suds to get in the clothes and wring them out. Then I hang them to dry, they are usually dry in a few hours

I do that in the Summer, but it's no substitute for a good washing

ejoe156 wrote:
Much quicker turn around than if I put them in the wash- I may not see them again for a few days.

Our washer has a "Speed Wash" cycle which runs through in about 20 minutes, then I hang on a clothesline we have in the laundry room

Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah between washes is what I meant. But shirts get worn only once cause everybody has lots of shirts. Workout clothes go in pile separate from normal clothes for me. For me the smell i have trouble with is from the shower towels getting damp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do this same thing.

Also, to save on toilet paper I will fold the paper in half after using it and set it on the roll for next time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Icky!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
I do this same thing.

Also, to save on toilet paper I will fold the paper in half after using it and set it on the roll for next time.

That's gold. This is how you stop global warming. One perforated sheet at a time. Also to save time u can wash out your bottles in the toilet cistern and clean your chain in the coffee machine, use the grounds as low cost high fibre bullet proof keto crossfit caffeine
Last edited by: Kipstar: Jan 2, 20 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been washing my workout clothes this way my entire life. I’ll soap the underwear and nothing ever smells bad once it dries. Far too wasteful to justify doing laundry nearly a hundred extra times per year when it can be done seamlessly in the shower. I think this is a necessary skill of all athletes and it bothers me that sone people wash clothes after every wear especially without sweating in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not the only one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real question is Why is your fiancé smelling homeless men?

Beyond that I will concur with the first response that your current practice is insane. You should take it a step further and install a garbage disposal in your shower.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't always wash my training gear [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
You should take it a step further and install a garbage disposal in your shower.
Genius!
Quote Reply

Prev Next