Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I did my own 70.3
Quote | Reply
https://strava.app.link/6yBbpHIoM9

https://strava.app.link/SghTUCKoM9

https://strava.app.link/66t7EwOoM9

I was signed up to do my first 70.3 in AC last weekend. I refused to believe that it was gonna get cancelled despite all the obvious warning signs. So I continued to train everyday as if it was going to happen. I followed the 80/20 endurance level 2 70.3 plan which topped out at 13 hours a week. It was tough but I managed to follow the plan to a T and only missed 2 workouts due to travel. When the race got cancelled About a month out, I was upset About missing my first shot at a real IM race. Anyway, I decided keep going with the plan and do my own 70.3 around where I live in Rockaway Beach,NY on sat Sept 12th. The day was plagued with a very rough swim, flat tires, and 20 mph winds but it was an amazing experience. All my training really paid off. I was most happy with my run in which I was able to do in 2:08 -just 7 mins off my best half marathon effort last year in the NYC HALF. Next year (if races resume) I will DEF be going full IM.

PS Before I get bashed by haters, I stopped my watch too early on the run at 13.04 thinking that it said 13.14 🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ However I did run well over 13.1 back to my transition area. Your gonna have to take my word for it.
Quote Reply
Re: I did my own 70.3 [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Nice job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
PS Before I get bashed by haters, I stopped my watch too early on the run at 13.04 thinking that it said 13.14 🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ¤¦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ However I did run well over 13.1 back to my transition area. Your gonna have to take my word for it.

13.04 is longer than any of the 12 70.3 runs my watch has ever recorded, bravo to you, sir

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about the haters. Great job as far as I'm concerned.

I was scheduled for Galveston on April 5th, then Augusta Sept 27. Now I'm back to Galveston Nov 22. Like you, if was my goal for 2020 to do a HIM. I didn't hold a personal event on the cancelled day (or the one coming up next week), but I am planning hos my own on Nov 22nd. I don't know if will be able to do an open swim but I am going to try to figure out how to do this.

In any case, GOOD ON YOU!!

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and great training+effort there.
Quote Reply
Re: I did my own 70.3 [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a great learning experience and definitely bolstered my confidence. If the race doesn’t go off - I’d highly recommend you do your own. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is wicked! Good job. How did you handle the transitions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done many diy sprints and a few on my own Olympics but haven’t done a half yet, now you’ve got me thinking! Nice job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really cool. I wanted to do something like that but never followed through since my swim went in the trash with everything going on. Awesome job on finishing off what you started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah right. Sure ya did.

Congrats on the (almost) 70.3 though ;) Doing it for yourself is the best achievement.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kudos!

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job. I attempted a self supported full distance in July. Car was transition with supplies and food. Parked at a public lake for 2.4 swim, 13 laps around the lake for 112, but cut the run short at 13.1 miles. Excuse....94 degree day without a cloud in the sky and no shade. Legs felt ok, but started to get nervous I would push myself too far in the heat and I was alone. It was a fun attempt and still a 10.5 hour training session!
Last edited by: Rob G: Sep 15, 20 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work!! Good times and lots of perseverance in your training and getting through a less than ideal day.

8 of us are attempting our own this coming weekend in Northern IL. Hopefully we have smoother water and less flat tires.
Quote Reply