Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I did a Cyclebar spin class and it was legit!
Quote | Reply
Decided to mix it up a bit in the offseason, and try out some spin classes on top of a swim focus block for the upcoming 2-3 months. I've been riding almost entirely indoors anyway on a Kickr + Zwift (I love my setup with a 50" TV hooked up to an Macbook pro with video card for max 4k).

I've done a few spin classes before at other gyms and YMCAs, and always felt they were legit. Meaning you can bury yourself in an hour if you want to, even if the class is made up of mostly bike noobs.

Signed up for an outfit in my area of Norcal called "Cyclebar" - I think it's a lower-cost version of the pricey SoulCycle and other cycling craze outfits. Was about $60 for 5 rides, I've done 3 already.

In this one you ride Schwinn-branded spin bikes that have powermeters. I'm very skeptical of the accuracy of the powermeters; I've been doing enough power to know how much it hurts for me to hold 240w for an hour, and in both classes I was averaging nearly that even with rest periods, so I'd definitely take that with a grain of salt.

For sure though, it was surprisingly easy to really bury myself for an all-out interval experience. Coupled with no-fan, my HR was higher than it's every been on a bike. Definitely legit for a 40 min workout! Music was LOUD, which was great.

The workout in this one is too short for long bike training, but for short bury-yourself intervals, it's all good.

Oh yeah - and on the weekdays, I was literally the ONLY dude there in a class of 20 women. Yeah, not weird at all. The busy sunday class was probably 15% men. So definitely attracts mostly women, for what it's worth.

I def wouldn't trade a good outdoor ride for this, and I doubt I'll do more regular classes after I use up these 5, but I could see myself doing this from time to time just to mix it up.
Quote Reply
Re: I did a Cyclebar spin class and it was legit! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The classes aren't bad, but the prices of classes have gone up and it's just not worth it for me. We have a few around Phoenix and it's $15/class now. Used to be $10, for that price I'd drop in here and there. I pay for a gym membership and they have spin classes and I drop in ever so often...but $15/month for zwift...when you compare that to CycleBar...yeah it's a steal.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I did a Cyclebar spin class and it was legit! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think $15/class is a perfectly ok price. It's a nice facility, good pumping music, an overenthusiastic yet very easy on the eyes female instructor (at least at my facility), and plenty of water, towels and even a shower.

As the only dude in my last weekday class, I got to hog the whole shower to myself whereas the women didn't even bother to compete for the shower stall. I think that's built into the plan, they kind of expect you to go home right after, and not shower as it's an ergonomically annoying shower setup.

The classes are a bit short (45 mins, but only 35-40 of which is actual cycling) for my needs, but perfectly good for what they are.

I'm frankly both amazed and horrified that SoulCycle can charge upwards of $50+ for this kind of stuff and people go REGULARLY.

And I'll emphasize - it still does NOT compare to a great outdoor ride. I'd pick the outdoor ride every time over the spin class, no contest, and I ride almost entirely indoors since I'm doing most of my biking at 5AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a member of Lifetime fitness and I take classes there sometimes. As a matter of fact, I’m going there just to spin in the empty room. They have Stages bikes and they are nice. I just watch Netflix and spin. Classes are well designed so they provide some good interval training. You don’t have to think much. Just follow the instructor and you are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they were $10 and closer to where I lived than the gym I thought it was a steal ever so often.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interviewing here and am looking to add on some extra indoor teaching rides on top of my outdoor rides. Its good to hear some objective feedback. The equipment and setup seems legit. I like it how all the bikes are connected to the leaderboard, showing RPM and other stats that are helpful.

Yeah, and the sound system ROCKS! Wow, it is pretty good. I'm an audiophile and it meets my standards.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: I did a Cyclebar spin class and it was legit! [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh - forgot to mention -

There is a digital leaderboard but they essentially NEVER USE IT (!!!)

That's right. 2 giant screens across which can display everyone's power and cadence and bike position in the room, but it is only turned on if the instructor hits a button to turn on the metrics.

In my 3 rides, two instructors did not turn the metrics on a single time, and the third time (busier weekend ride with some guys in the room), the metrics were only showed for 2 all out 30 sec sprints, and stayed up for less than 10 seconds after the sprint. (I hit 600 watts for 30sec super painful - but again, the power numbers are somewhat suspect.)

At the end of the ride, the screens default to showing average power for everyone, and you do get an email with avg power at the end. But again, that's also suspect as there is a non-cycling 3-5 minute bar routine in there of easy to no pedaling, so that will drag down your average for sure unless you ignore the instructor and keep on hammering.

And as well, the bike powermeters are suspect from bike to bike. I swear one of the bikes I was on read a full 20 watts higher than the other two, and my avg power showed it. You could definitely game the system by finding that 'broken' bike and keeping selecting it again and again pre-class, but that's only for us loser male competitive endurance athletes.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every class I've ever done at a CycleBar there were live metrics on the board.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
there is a non-cycling 3-5 minute bar routine in there of easy to no pedaling, so that will drag down your average for sure unless you ignore the instructor and keep on hammering.

Yeah I don’t especially like this aspect.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few with my wife who has an unlimited monthly plan. She tried zwift but wasnt as motivated to do it.

They usually end up being 40ish minutes at ftp for me and I try to hold my power even through the hokey arm workout. It's fun and sometimes other roadies will be in the class making it challenging. The bikes are definitely not calibrated since I've seen some ridiculous numbers.

Something that my cyclebar has is that they have the power meter ant+ ID numbers on a sticker behind the screen. I pair it with my fenix before the class starts since the data they give you at the end of the workout is terrible.

Overall I agree, it's a good bury yourself workout
Quote Reply
Re: I did a Cyclebar spin class and it was legit! [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also a Lifetime member and I tend to get to the class 30-45 minutes early and that gets me an hour plus workout. I find the music too loud but they provide ear plugs which work for me.

It's great when I want to do stuff that I can't on the road (due to traffic lights, etc). I use the same bike so the wattage is really just for reference between workouts.

So it's what you make of it like any workout. Plus I can jump on the ski-erg or even swim before/after.
Quote Reply