Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob.
Quote | Reply
Any of you have a brand that just....blah?

The Giant Revolt makes all the financial sense, but it's a Giant. I always thought of them as the next Schwinn. A brand that is one step outside of a Dicks Sporting Goods. I really only need a frame, so wanted to buy a lower spec'd bike, strip it, and put my high end components on it (GRX Di2).

The lowest spec'd Giant is $2000, decent frame color as well. The $150 of the $300 I spent on a fit at my LBS would also be put toward the price of the big. Selling my Diverge Expert bike I may actually have a net $0 cost on this bike. Thus I could buy a pair of wheels and still be the same price as the Warbird.

The lowest spec Salsa Warbird is $750 more and is some light blue color. Not sure what to think of that color.

Geometry wise, the Salsa fits me slightly better (within 1mm of the Giant in terms of reach and stack, so not that big of a deal).

Despite the Giant making sense, I just can't pull the trigger. I've just always had a meh feeling toward Giants. Do I just have a misinformed perception of Giants? I honestly never gave them a second glance so I know nothing of them.

On a side note, in my previous thread I mentioned my LBS telling me a Giant Revolt won't be available until Spring 2021, but they contacted me and said 8-weeks. This is a much better time frame since I have zero races left this year. The Warbird is in stock at another LBS now. My Giant/Spesh bike shop did my fit and he is 100% okay with me buying another bike and bringing it in to complete the fit process. I think it's because he has zero bikes in stock right now.

Quote | Reply
I have a Giant Trinity tri-bike, circa 2012. The thing is absolutely phenomenal. Nice aero properties. Nice components. Great (and I mean it seriously) great customer service. Plenty fast. I'm not sure what your hangup is, but Giant isn't the problem. So, I'd guess that your hypothesis is likely correct- you're just being a snob.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Giant bikes have always been great, I've had no issues with them. I'd buy another one tomorrow without hesitation. I don't think your overly negative view on them is deserved.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey come on,I've never seen a Schwinn that looked like this.. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They make great bikes from what I hear (they also do the manufacturing for some other big brands). I have a Giant but I can understand the meh reaction. When I consider buying bikes it not at the top of the list at all and since its my money if I don't like the brand I generally won't consider it. I only bought the current Giant because it was on a Black Friday sale and was half price, that was too good of a deal to pass up and its my winter bike. In general, I would prefer Cervelo, Specialized, Canyon etc. If you feel meh don't buy it. Nothing worse than looking at new bike and thinking 'meh'. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And don't forget that their factories make bikes for pretty much everyone else.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikes are like cars - some brands you naturally gravitate towards and some you don’t. Logic need not apply. Honestly, I have the same bias against Giant. I know they make great bikes and are a great value, but I just don’t have any desire to buy one. You should love your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite bike in the last 25 years was my Giant TCR2 road bike. I've had Cervelo, Trek, Orbea, also ridden Specialized. My next bike will probably be a big spend, just what I want bike. (not dream bike) My mind says go get a top Giant fit to me perfectly with all the bells and whistles. My wallet says, for that price, get something else. It's stupid and hopefully I'll be able to shed the snob for the best ride.

It's kind of like cars. If you're gonna buy a new car for 40 or 50k, would you buy a Toyota that you really like or a lower model BMW to show off to friends. The smart person would get the Toyo, but the BMW is tough not to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Giant Revolt quickly became my favorite bike. I have an older Giant Anthem (FS mountain bike) which has been very solid. So I've never had a negative opinion of Giant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just "bleh" on most brands, I don't really care what the logo is, as long as the bike looks nice. To me, the Giant road bikes are pretty sweet. The tri bike, meh. The mountain bikes are very nice (we have 2).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're in the pro peloton. Same company that makes your Trek and contracts out to other stuff.

I see them like the VW-AG for cars. Making VW's (or toasters to some car folks) but also the brand over Bugatti, speed record holding supercar.

Buy the dang bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
They're in the pro peloton. Same company that makes your Trek and contracts out to other stuff.

I see them like the VW-AG for cars. Making VW's (or toasters to some car folks) but also the brand over Bugatti, speed record holding supercar.

Buy the dang bike.

Yeah, in the pro peloton they obviously have their own brand represented, but they also make (more than likely) other bikes with different name badges in the pro peloton.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't bring myself to buy running shoes from Nike.

Personally I think Giant makes great bikes along with Fuji and I'd buy either one if they were the right bike for me but I know a lot of people don't like them.

But then again, perhaps I'm a bike snob since most of my bikes have been Felt, Cannondale and Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you need to buy a bike before completing the fit process?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That spec'd bike actually comes in three colors (blue, red or white). A friend has the light blue and it's pretty nice. I've got the dark blue GRX 600 model and love it (my second Warbird).
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

That spec'd bike actually comes in three colors (blue, red or white). A friend has the light blue and it's pretty nice. I've got the dark blue GRX 600 model and love it (my second Warbird).

The other two colors are 2019 so almost impossible to find. I'd love the red color. I test rode the GRX 600 model yesterday, but I do not like the blue color. They had the 810 model (gloss black) there as well, but then things start to get pricey. That color wasn't so bad though.

Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I'm assuming that he means adjusting the saddle, swapping stems, and making minor adjustments based on real world riding? That's what "completing the fit process" means to me, anyway.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I really only need a frame, so wanted to buy a lower spec'd bike, strip it, and put my high end components on it (GRX Di2).

Why not look at frames only?
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

What Jason said.

Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Economist wrote:
I really only need a frame, so wanted to buy a lower spec'd bike, strip it, and put my high end components on it (GRX Di2).

Salsa frame will not be available until December 2021. That's what two different bike shops have told me now. Apparently Salsa is notorious for long waits on frames.

Quote | Reply
I'm really interested in this thread, for a few reasons.

I tend to agree with your view of the Giant brand, but I personally think my own view is driven by the lack of marketing similar to the "cooler" brands. But I also know Giant is the largest contract manufacturer of bikes and frames.

Of all the people on here, I'd assume an Economist to be the most ruthlessly rational, in an economic sense. So here's a thought exercise - what if you found out the Salsa frame is made by Giant? Would that change your preference?

The way I typically weight these decisions is to decide how much a single comparison is "worth" to me. How much would I pay to have it now vs later? Or one color vs another? Or a different groupset? Is there so much negative utility to the Giant brand that you would ride it less or regret the purchase? C'mon Economist, quantify your preferences!

That said, I'm having a very hard time doing the same across a number of brands available right now. But the name painted on the side is not a huge factor for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TCR2 was also my favorite road bike. I should have never gotten rid of mine. I would get the Giant.

Jogging - I guess you just run for an extended period of time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
rruff wrote:
Economist wrote:

Salsa frame will not be available until December 2021. That's what two different bike shops have told me now. Apparently Salsa is notorious for long waits on frames.

Not a Salsa then... something else? What size tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Giant Defy road bike for many years that was the most comfortable road bike I have ever had. I then got a Cervelo tri bike that was awesome and I sold the Giant to buy some race wheels. After I got tired of the Cervelo I went to a 2019 top of the line Giant Trinity. This thing is the most bang for the buck out there and a great tri bike. It also looks awesome. It's fast, comfortable, affordable and looks awesome. Finally, I have an awesome dealer within 10 minutes of my house. BTW, my next road bike will be a new Defy. Giants are great bikes.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, I was offered an insane deal on their top end TCR Advanced SL with DA Di2 everything. Seller was a super rich guy with whom I share a mechanic, and he just didn’t care what he got back for it. It was a half size too big for him and he rode it just a couple times.

I had a similar reaction to the brand—kinda like buying a Toyota or Honda.

But the thing is phenomenal. Just flawlessly engineered and perfect for me. I love the bike now, and view the brand as having an almost reverse cache to it—someone riding one of their top end bikes may be more about the quality than whatever the paint on the frame says.
Quote Reply

Prev Next