Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I can't feel my D@#$
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions to fix the numbness I'm getting in my crotch area during my trainer rides when I'm in aero. Between intervals I have to come out of aero and sit back on the seat in order to get feeling back. I have a stock 2018 Cervelo P2 with the original ISM 1.0 saddle. Looking for opinions on different saddles and sizes- maybe I need a wider gap in the split nose? IDK...but this can't be good long term. FYI I am 6ft 4in 215 lbs. Thanks!
E
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sitting on the prongs, first 1/3rd of the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How’s tour saddle tilt? I had a similar issue earlier this winter when changing my position, saddle tilt down a small amount and could feel the boys again!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with the same issue on my road bike, so you're not alone.

Make sure you're sitting on your saddle properly. I recall it felt like I was going to fall off when I was getting used to my ISM.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I ride the nose especially if I’m putting in a descent effort
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle is tilted slightly downward at the nose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try lowering the seat a bit. Just think of what happens when your seat is way too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replaced an old ISM, like one of the originals on my tri bike. Though on my road bike I have used the PS 1.1 for years and thousands of miles I went with the PN 1.1 for the tri thinking it would be more comfortable in aero. Nope, it was bad, especially on the trainer. Did hours of riding and never got better as I hoped so put on PS 1.1 like I have on the road bike and it is much better.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would lower the seat before tilting it down. The part you are sitting on should be level to give you proper support on the seat, otherwise you have to work lot more with the shoulders/ arms.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, definitely work on your fit and saddle choice, wider prongs may help you, especially since you're a bigger guy. But also, IMHO riding in aero on the trainer is overrated. Perhaps my only asset as a cyclist is that I'm very aero (it certainly isn't my FTP, LOL) and only a modest percentage of my trainer time is spent in aero; but I have no trouble sustaining an aero position when I get back on the road. I say just be comfortable, concentrate on building fitness, and only spend enough time in aero on the trainer to make sure you maintain a reasonable level of adaptation. It's definitely harder to maintain aero on the trainer and a better test of an aero position is if it's sustainable and fast out on the road rather than on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your sitting on the right saddle wrongly or the wrong saddle.

That said I've had similar issues to you in the past and liked a wider saddle, sat off the end, like the Fizik Mistica

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went the other route - SQLab 612 solved my issues. It doesn't have a cutout but instead has a dip to relieve pressure. And without the cutout it seems to distribute pressure where I sit better, which was another discomfort for me.

Saddle preference is different for everyone though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, you might try another type of saddle. I fight the numbness too and found the pro stealth with its negative space to be much more comfortable than any of the split nose saddles.

That being said I think things start to go numb on long trainer rides no matter what... just too long in the same position, definitely need to make a conscious effort to shift around and get out of aero periodically, I find that helps a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ISM saddles don’t work for me but the ISM rep that came to our team camp once said that you should be sitting forward enough that your “bits” are hanging off the front of the saddle. Look at the gif in this link, if you need to see what I mean.

https://abiggergear.wordpress.com/...-to-short-adamo/amp/

Also there are other brands trying this style of noiseless saddles, there is no reason to stay with the 2 pronged pitchfork if you don’t like it.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally get it, and that is how I ride (most of the time) Any suggestions on saddle alternatives? I was looking into ISM PN 1.0 or the Fizik Mistica in a Large size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing someone mentioned in another thread which I think holds true. Riding on trainer, watching a computer or TV screen, are you possibly looking up higher than usual (when you are outside looking at the road. Perhaps moving the screen down will tilt you back to your normal position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar size as you

Ride the trainer almost every ride except races

Definitely pain down there in longer rides

Can ride a HIM no pain at all.

For me road and trainer totally different

We Maybe need one saddle for the trainer and one for the road?
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm its quite possible.
E
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisrpdx wrote:
As others have said, you might try another type of saddle. I fight the numbness too and found the pro stealth with its negative space to be much more comfortable than any of the split nose saddles.

That being said I think things start to go numb on long trainer rides no matter what... just too long in the same position, definitely need to make a conscious effort to shift around and get out of aero periodically, I find that helps a lot.

+1 for the Pro Stealth.

I was fighting this problem for months, and this saddle helped it a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a similar size and I was having similar problems. I have been using a Bi Saddle for a few months and it has been a revelation. I started with the SRT on my tri bike and I've recently got the EXT for my road bike - that thing is so comfortable. The seat width is independently adjustable front and rear and there are spacers to change seat angle. I have my SRT set wider than my old ISM and the numbness has gone although I will still have to move around a little on very long indoor rides but as mentioned in previous posts that's probably just part of riding indoors. It can be such a guessing game switching saddles and being able to adjust the saddle just makes the process easier....and cheaper! https://bisaddle.com/collections/all
Last edited by: east31: Feb 2, 20 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you having this issue out on the road, or only when indoors on trainer? If ok on the road then maybe accommodate static position on trainer.

I find it helpful to raise the front hub 'above' what is considered level by 3cm or more.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long can you sit on the saddle without going numb?
Quote Reply
Re: I can't feel my D@#$ [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you also adjust the saddle to keep it in the same position relative to the bottom bracket and floor? Or do you just raise the front wheel 3 cm?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this a lot for a while before getting a Cobb saddle. Mind you, its a serious matter, for your (ehem) sexual performance in the future to get this right, as soon as possible - as you can do permament damage to tissue and lack of blood flow to the perineal area

Maybe this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVL2SbVhwr4
Quote Reply

Prev Next