Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why....
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't take a brain surgeon (pun intended) to call this bullshit. I'm not going to even bother to explain why. Troll on

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
It doesn't take a brain surgeon (pun intended) to call this bullshit. I'm not going to even bother to explain why. Troll on

Right on. By the way, seat belts are useless, too. I've been driving for over 40 years and haven't been forced to put my seat belts to the test once. What a waste of time it's been for me, buckling up on every trip in the car! There's your proof!
Last edited by: lutzman: May 30, 14 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to think the article is bullshit too. But I also think the benefits of and need to wear a helmet is exaggerated. On one extreme, there are those that think they serve no benefit.; On the other, there are those that think anyone not wearing a helmet, regardless of circumstance or situation, is irresponsibly throwing caution to the wind and should be shamed off the road.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tiptopshop wrote:
They might even be dangerous!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...s-brain-surgeon.html

If a cyclist ends up on his table it sure takes a brain-surgeon to figure out that the helmet didn't help him.....

Pretty sure I don't appreciate that kind of "intelligence" when it comes to questions of life and death.....

Just another example how people jeopardize their reputation by commenting on topics they are not qualified to comment.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Just another example how people jeopardize their reputation by commenting on topics they are not qualified to comment.

Especially since the research he quotes says that people pass closer (3" closer) when riders are wearing helmets. Completely unrelated to the efficacy of the helmet when said motorist slams into them.

So let him keep on riding in his cowboy boots, karma is a right bitch.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brain surgeon trolling for more business....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the OP I forgot to mention. .. Enjoy never competing again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tiptopshop wrote:
They might even be dangerous!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...s-brain-surgeon.html

How to Lie with Statistics
Last edited by: byfaith: May 30, 14 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think bike helmets are way behind the time in tech. They could do a lot better job with concussions. Right now they are nice for a certain % of crashes.. I would rather we got them to cover more.

i.e. see http://www.bicycling.com/...I-June-13-Helmet.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comments to that article are disturbing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the title of the post had a bit of sarcasm in it.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:

Haven't you learned yet? Sarcasm doesn't exist in the tri forum. Well, it does, but recognizing it doesn't.

You belong in the LR.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:

Pink text or its real. Posting garbage articles validates it's very existence. For every 10 that read it 1 will scratch his head and wonder if it's legitimate. To whoever posted the seat belt analogy, they hit the nail on the head. Not trying to make a big deal over a stupid post but life and death is kind of a big deal. And when people make stupid posts about it either in jest or not it kind of bugs me. Heaven forbid anyone ever have to go through the loss of a loved one due to this sport. Get my point? Damnit the beginning was supposed to be in pink. Oh fuck it. Who cares.

Last edited by: warwicke36: May 30, 14 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
but life and death is kind of a big deal..
Yeah, and obviously not using a bike helmet is just asking for death. It's almost certain to happen without one. Pretty much all those guys that rode/raced bikes in the 50s, 60s and 70s and trained without helmets died. And the commuters w/o helmets in a lot of places nowadays are just a ride away from death. Death. DEATH. So choose life.

Don't even joke about not using a helmet.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: May 30, 14 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding for over 20 years and never used to wear a helmet other than races. I live in an area with minimal traffic, wide shoulders and 5-minutes from country roads. I have been in several bike crashes, one totalling my mountain bike and one going down a hill at about 55-kph without hitting my head.

I figure if I am going to die on my bike it will be by a drunk or distracted driver, which there is not much I can do or I will be screaming down a hill at 70-kph and have a tire blow.

However, for some reason I felt the need to start wearing one this week. Can't really pin point the reason why but I am glad I am and so is my family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the guy was a rocket surgeon, *then* I'd trust his opinion.

Actually there is a lot of evidence to support that bike helmets cause about as many problems as they solve, resulting in no net benefit. There was even a long article in Bicycling about it.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>Actually there is a lot of evidence to support that bike helmets cause about as many problems as they solve, resulting in no net benefit.

From what I remember, most of that evidence has to do with speculating that helmets promote riskier behavior among the general population of cyclists.

But we're not the general population of cyclists. We're badasses.

As a road & track cyclist I *seek* risky situations voluntarily. Gonna take that last turn in the crit at 38MPH. Gonna shoot that gap in Keirin, elbows out.

And the data, from what I remember, unambiguously shows that in cases where the head *does* strike the ground, helmets help a lot.

So I'm going to go ahead and continue to wear a helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello rruff and All,

Here is a report from PubMed ...... about 2 days ago .........

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24686160

Excerpt:

In this research, our objective was to perform biomechanical testing of paired helmeted and unhelmeted head impacts using a validated anthropomorphic test headform and a range of drop heights between 0.5m and 3.0m, while measuring headform acceleration and Head Injury Criterion (HIC). In the 2m (6.3m/s) drops, the middle of our drop height range, the helmet reduced peak accelerations from 824g (unhelmeted) to 181g (helmeted) and HIC was reduced from 9667 (unhelmeted) to 1250 (helmeted). At realistic impact speeds of 5.4m/s (1.5m drop) and 6.3m/s (2.0m drop), bicycle helmets changed the probability of severe brain injury from extremely likely (99.9% risk at both 5.4 and 6.3m/s) to unlikely (9.3% and 30.6% risk at 1.5m and 2.0m drops respectively). These biomechanical results for acceleration and HIC, and the corresponding results for reduced risk of severe brain injury show that contemporary bicycle helmets are highly effective at reducing head injury metrics and the risk for severe brain injury in head impacts characteristic of bicycle crashes.

Wear your helmet ...... or not ..............

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm.. maybe it's not obvious to some, but a neurosurgeon is only going to see the patients who end up seriously injured. The ones who don't crack their skull open don't end up seeing a brain surgeon. So his "entire picture" perception is obviously going to be distorted.
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever someone tells my that helmets aren't all that useful, I just consider whether I want my head bouncing off the curb with a helmet on, or without one on. That pretty much settles the debate for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Organ donor...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's precisely what i'm so sick of hearing about. no helmet = instant death.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [byfaith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dated though this book may be, i'll read it anyway. The principles are the same. Thanks for posting.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: I am never wearing a bike helmet again and here's why.... [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's old, but they still use it as a text in a number of colleges because it teaches basic critical thinking. Something greatly needed in today's headline driven internet world. It opened my eyes, and you be surprised how prevalent this type of PR stunt is in the world once you learn how to spot it.

The global warming (excuse me, "climate change") debate circles around this issue of using data to make certain hypothesis fact. Opponents are calling question to the scope of data to make such global claims. Proponents are accusing opponents of being anti-science and "refusing to face the facts". See the issue? Not saying where I stand cause there's a happy median with global warming I thing (hey alternate fuels are great!!!), but just using that as an example of how things get muddy real quick...
Quote Reply

Prev Next