Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please?
Quote | Reply
I have done a dozen or so triathlons, but only three of them have been wet suit legal. Until this weekend, the legal ones had strippers (wet suit strippers). Without that help, I am terrible. In the long jog to T1, I was able (with some difficulty -- to the extent that I am sure it slowed me down) to get my arms out, but once I got to my bike it must have looked like a fluorescent green squid was attacking my legs and I couldn't get it off me. According to my Garmin, I was at my spot in transition for well over 2 minutes, most of it fighting that dang squid. I did rub tons of Body Glide on my lower legs, ankles and feet before putting the squid on, but . . .

So what am I doing wrong? Is there a magic technique? I pulled the wet suit inside out over my legs as far as I could get it. I then stood with my right foot on the left leg of the wet suit and tried to pull my left leg out (and visa versa). That baby wouldn't budge. I eventually got it off by sticking my fingers between the wet suit and my ankle and pulled it double inside out (i.e., there are now four layers of wet suit over my foot) and push prodded and eventually got it off. So not only did it take a long time to extract each leg, it was also exhausting.

So I will admit i am an old man (64) and weak and that was exacerbated by (i) a medical false alarm that kept me from training for three weeks this summer (and when I got back I focused mostly on B and R) and (ii) that #@!!! long swim. But sadly, I will not get any younger, so I need to figure out how make getting the wet suit off easier. Should I get a different wet suit (one that is not so tight around my lower legs)? Do I need to practice (I have not done any wet suit practice swims other than twice in a pool -- I understand the chlorine is hard on wet suits -- how do I simulate a 1/3 mile jog in the pool area, etc.)? Do I need to cut the wet suit off at mid calf? Is there some magic that I need to learn?

HELP!
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a De Soto suit so ya a little different, but I pull the top off let my goggles and swim cap go in the sleeve and pull that off while running. Then pull the bibjon down to my waist. Once I get to transition I pull the wetsuit down to my ankles and while I’m putting on my helmet I step on one side of the wetsuit and pull the other foot out then so the same for the opposite side. It doesn’t take any longer than no wetsuit.

You should be able to do this all standing. Do you have a cheaper wetsuit that isn’t very flexible?
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-slide and cutting the bottom 2" off of my suit solved it for me. I just about blacked out and fell over trying to get off my suit the first time after racing a buddy to the shore at my first Oly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The next time I get out of my wetsuit in under five minutes will be the first. I, too, have watched every video and apply enough Tri Slide for every participant in the race. And I'm much younger, so it's not an age thing. And I've practiced to no avail.

When I see a racer step on their suit and pull their legs out at the same time they are putting their helmet on, I watch with the same amazement I watch a 2:05 marathoner. It's something I just can't relate to.

I'll be watching this thread but, at this point, I'm considering scissors in T1 to cut my way out and then just buy a new wetsuit every race.
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same question as for the above poster are you using a cheaper wetsuit? 5 mins would be crazy I’ve never spent that much time even when I started racing.
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Same question as for the above poster are you using a cheaper wetsuit? 5 mins would be crazy I’ve never spent that much time even when I started racing.

Well, 5 minutes was an exaggeration, but it is truthfully at least 60 seconds, and that is with the suit at my waist before I get to my bike.

I use an Xterra Vector Pro. I have no idea if that's a good suit or not.
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should be a good enough wetsuit that you shouldn’t have issues. Are you able to pull your arms out before transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that I am an expert by any means, but I've had some of the same issues at a couple of races. I trimmed about 2 inches off the ankles and generously apply body glide/trislide. However, if it is a fairly long run to T1, you might consider taking the wetsuit off right after you get out of the water while there is still water in the suit (just make sure you are off to the side). On a longish run to T1 it seems that water drains out of the suit and it sticks to you making it much harder to get off. At least that has been my experience. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes me 11 seconds to get out of a wetsuit
No body lube

I now have a deSpto but I have had 3 other brands over the years

Practice practice practice

I don’t step on my suit that seems like asking for trouble
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am getting up there in age too and started having real problems getting my wetsuit off. My big dumb heels kept getting stuck. Last week I tried, for the 1st time. spraying Pam on the outside of the wetsuit on the back of my lower legs. It slid right off and I had to fastest T1 in my age group. Pam will now always be in my pre-race bag.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
That should be a good enough wetsuit that you shouldn’t have issues. Are you able to pull your arms out before transition.

Yep. Goggles and cap removed immediately on exit. Pull the arms out and catch the goggles/cap in the arm. By the time I hit the bike, the wetsuit is below my belly button.

The suit catches on my calves and 100% of the time I end up either sitting down and wrestling with it, or doing what the OP said and having to use my fingers like a shoehorn. Sometimes (if I'm lucky ?!?!) this whole enterprise will cause my calves to cramp because I put so much effort in getting out. It's really an awesome experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I"ve been doing triathlons for >30 years (although I may never do another one), and I've had two wetsuits in that time. The current one is a T1. For both suits, I had zippers installed at the ankles (at the back, next to the Achilles tendon). The first at a dive shop (perfectly done), the T1 at a sail shop (not so perfectly done). Heavy-duty zippers, maybe 10" long. When I get to my bike, I unzip each ankle and follow the alternately-stand-on-the-other-leg routine. Without the zippers, it was a struggle as others have experienced.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I"ve been doing triathlons for >30 years (although I may never do another one), and I've had two wetsuits in that time. The current one is a T1. For both suits, I had zippers installed at the ankles (at the back, next to the Achilles tendon). The first at a dive shop (perfectly done), the T1 at a sail shop (not so perfectly done). Heavy-duty zippers, maybe 10" long. When I get to my bike, I unzip each ankle and follow the alternately-stand-on-the-other-leg routine. Without the zippers, it was a struggle as others have experienced.

That is genius

I wonder why wetsuit companies don’t do this

Is it possible it is slower.

Maybe DeSoto will start this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two most important points for quick removal: (1) Cut the bottom few inches off the legs. (look at pictures of the pros - well up to the calf area rather than a tight fit around the ankle) A larger diameter at the bottom is MUCH easier to remove. (2) Put generous lubricant on the OUTSIDE of the lower leg of the suit (I would recommend a silicone spray rather than PAM). It is the outside that is dragging against your skin when the suit is turned inside out and needs to be lubricated.
These two actions will make a huge difference in the ease of removal.
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
klehner wrote:

That is genius

I wonder why wetsuit companies don’t do this

Is it possible it is slower.

Maybe DeSoto will start this

Probably because most people are able to strip out of their wetsuits without much of a struggle. I, and apparently some others, have some difficulty.

It likely adds about three seconds to the time it takes to remove the wetsuit, assuming that you could have removed it without the struggle.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pull straight off. As soon as the neoprene is folded, you're done (you may notice this same effect as you put the wetsuit on).

Well, I say "straight" and "folded". You want one fold, at the top, and it moves down your limb as you pull it the rest of the way off. For really bad ASCII art, this is what you want:

Not this:

If that makes sense. The wrinkles catch each other and bind and suddenly you're wrestling that damn green squid. You should have two layers of wetsuit, flat against each other, and maintain that until it's off.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut it off at mid calf. I don't even need any sort of lubricant anymore. Most people are saying 2 inches, i say 4-6 and you'll be just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I use a De Soto suit so ya a little different, but I pull the top off let my goggles and swim cap go in the sleeve and pull that off while running. Then pull the bibjon down to my waist. Once I get to transition I pull the wetsuit down to my ankles and while I’m putting on my helmet I step on one side of the wetsuit and pull the other foot out then so the same for the opposite side. It doesn’t take any longer than no wetsuit.

You should be able to do this all standing. Do you have a cheaper wetsuit that isn’t very flexible?

It is cheaper. It is a Zoot and near or at the bottom of their line 3 years ago when I bought it (and it has now been used 3 times plus 2 pool practice swims). I don't even know where to begin buying a wet suit that would be like what you are describing ("it doesn't take any longer than no wetsuit"). I am guessing it is a combination of the right suit and the right size??? And how much does it cost for the right suit? Help!

As to a couple items others have mentioned
  • The tri I was in this weekend specified that wet suits could not be removed below waste until you are into T1
  • Slowman says PAM ruins your wet suit
  • I was already wondering why these things don't have zippers, but I am not sure I want to try this to a suit not designed for it.

Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Cut it off at mid calf. I don't even need any sort of lubricant anymore. Most people are saying 2 inches, i say 4-6 and you'll be just fine.

Is cutting something you can do yourself or would you take it to a dive shop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do it yourself. Just get a sharp razor blade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it’s cheaper it’s normally not as flexible. The right size will also help. I could probably fit in a smaller bottom with the De Soto one but there’s no reason to, so the slightly bigger bottom helps a bit.

The second video on this page shows Emilio taking off the wetsuit.

https://www.desotosport.com/pages/videos

Like I said I’ve never had an issue with taking off a wetsuit. If it takes me more than 2 seconds more than no wetsuit in transition I would be surprised.

Someone mentioned earlier they were concerned with something happening to it. Are you trying to pull it off hard or are you concerned with it so you’re trying to be gentle? That may have something to do with it as I rip the top off running full speed. If you try to do it easy it is probably going to be way harder.

Also what do you mean by zippers?? On the ankles? I believe this was tried before and it affects the flotation. It’s been a long time since that subject came up but I know Emilio said something on it before.
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Aug 15, 18 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many, many years ago I bought a long John from a a big bike store chain/ on line. Performance, I believe. It was a full 5mm with zippers at ankle. Great wetsuit to get off. Pretty fast suit too - for those days anyway

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2pyrfam wrote:
Not that I am an expert by any means, but I've had some of the same issues at a couple of races. I trimmed about 2 inches off the ankles and generously apply body glide/trislide. However, if it is a fairly long run to T1, you might consider taking the wetsuit off right after you get out of the water while there is still water in the suit (just make sure you are off to the side). On a longish run to T1 it seems that water drains out of the suit and it sticks to you making it much harder to get off. At least that has been my experience. Good luck!

Further to this.. right before you stand up in the water at the end of the swim, grab the neck of your suit and stretch it out a little (underwater) so that some water rushes in. If the suit has suctioned on the water will help break that suction and make it easier to strip off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not been worried about damaging the wet suit. When using strippers, they strip it off with lots of force and no damage has been done. I literally cannot muster enough force lifting up a leg to get that leg out of the wet suit. The suit stretches somewhat, but does not move. And its hard to stay upright when you brace yourself for your leg to come flying out of the wet suit and it instead gets pulled back down as the stretch in the suit recoils.

So if the strippers can do it, why can't I. I don't know. It seems that it is easier for them because their range of motion is a few feet. They can get some momentum going (of their own body weight) so that if they can get it started just a smidge it will keep going. For me, the useful distance I can lift my leg is less than 2 feet (less than that with much force), and at the top of that range it is decelerating -- the opposite of what's needed. If the legs just slid out relatively easily, this would be no problem. I might have to reset my other foot farther up the wet suit leg once to get it all the way off, but it would be seconds to get the suit all the way off.

It also seems to me that the main point of friction is neoprene against neoprene. For the turning inside out move to work, those are the two main surfaces that are rubbing together. The neoprene also has to slide off the ankle and foot once it clears the bottom of the suit leg. The inner lining of the suit (the fabric side) is supposed to stay stationary and not slide. If that is right I need to put something on the outside of the legs -- on the neoprene -- so it will slide. Or I need a suit where the tension creating force radial force is less (either a bigger unstretched diameter or more stretchy) -- with less radial force, there would be less friction (but would there be problems with the wet suit leg being too floppy?). So is it water on the neoprene that makes it come off better (slide against itself)? Are more expensive suits stretchier or have some coating that makes the neoprene slide better on itself? Is my wet suit the wrong size?

????
Quote Reply
Re: I am deficient in DYI Wet Suit Stripping -- Can You Help Me Please? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

this is my secret too my roka would not come off until i did this
Quote Reply

Prev Next