Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . .
Quote | Reply
for starting the liar, liar thread. And, then I would like to thank Joaquin for showing up and defending his honor. This thread has just surpassed the "drills vs pc's" thread of several years ago as the most active PC thread ever and it is clear it still has legs. It may not pass the Sergio thread as the "best" ever but I doubt this is going to die out soon. Nothing like a little controversy to get people thinking. Thank you Dr. Coggan.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice damage control, Frank.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think about all the free advertisement.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [ancientdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's one sucker born everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, this beats Big Brother hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least Joaquin hasn't contradicted himself several times in a single thread, so I guess he might have some honor left to defend. Speaking of honor, he also doesn't start assinine threads to try to drum up free marketing for a product that, as yet, has not been shown on the other massive threads to be beneficial. Please step away from the shovel - the hole only gets deeper.

Michael (not a douchebag because I am a financial analyst) Williams
Last edited by: Bulliams: May 23, 07 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
for starting the liar, liar thread. And, then I would like to thank Joaquin for showing up and defending his honor. This thread has just surpassed the "drills vs pc's" thread of several years ago as the most active PC thread ever and it is clear it still has legs. It may not pass the Sergio thread as the "best" ever but I doubt this is going to die out soon. Nothing like a little controversy to get people thinking. Thank you Dr. Coggan.

Please, that was barely top 5 (the Russian judge ranked it 9th). The Hottie Thread, dude. Note the caps, too.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got an idea just go flipping bike. You push down and pull up its really not that hard you don't need a magical crank that will do everything but your laundry.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Please, that was barely top 5 (the Russian judge ranked it 9th). The Hottie Thread, dude. Note the caps, too.

But, the hottie thread is gone. Perhaps a better word would have been the "most" ever, but then we are only talking replies. But two in the top 10 isn't bad from an "interest' point of view. If we are talking views this (and "drills vs PC's") have a long way to go but my viewer won't me me rank them by views. Best is in the mind of the beholder so probalby wasn't the best term.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[snip]

let me see if i understand the issues here.

there are people who believe that engaging hip flexors, and perhaps other muscles that aid the recovering leg, is generally accretive to faster cycling overall. those (like joe friel) who ascribe to the idea of a pedal stroke exhibiting a "flatter torque profile" fall into this camp as does, obviously, powercranks and its owner frank day. you can also throw in the people who ascribe to isolated leg training, one-leg drills, and the old (andy will remember this) "spin coach" sold by ralph ray.

then there are those, and i think perhaps ed coyle (u of texas) might be the best known exemplar, who believe that you just stomp down hard on the pedal, not unlike what we used to do as 3-year-olds on our tricycles. these people believe that what you do on the downstroke is what matters almost entirely, and engaging your hip flexors or flattening your torque profile is counterproductive to being a good cyclist.

am i on the right track so far?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having been one of Ed's (and many of his PhD candidate's) lab rats..... YES!

irrelevant line spoken vit German accent....

zee quad iz a verrrrry laaaaarge mus-kle.... it produces lots of vatts.... the 'ip flexor iz a verrrrry small mus-kle.... meaning.... it dont do squavt.

:)

HAMMER BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever, I'm right and your all wrong. Nyah! Nyah!

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [boco_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? the guy says "mus-kle"?

that's not good.
respected or not, someone should point that out.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I got an idea just go flipping bike. You push down and pull up its really not that hard you don't need a magical crank that will do everything but your laundry.

Grant[/reply]
... says the guy with the OTHER crank that will do everything but your laundry ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< really? the guy says "mus-kle"?

that's not good.
respected or not, someone should point that out >>

It could be worse, he could be, say, an 'elected' official in the most powerful office in the world, who pronounces the word nuclear as "nuke-yoo-lur" :-p

There's another guy, a governor I think, who butchers the english language a bit on occasion too.

GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Back on topic, I guess Frank ascribes to the theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A classic - I laughed so hard I fired a Lifesaver out of my mouth and it almost went down the defroster vent of the Spousal Unit's truck (have EVDO, will travel).

On a serious note, how many people get Achilles problems from PCs? All that pulling up seems like it could cause issues if the transition is not done with a lot of care. Just curious. -----

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[snip]

there are people who believe that engaging hip flexors, and perhaps other muscles that aid the recovering leg, is generally accretive to faster cycling overall. those (like joe friel) who ascribe to the idea of a pedal stroke exhibiting a "flatter torque profile" fall into this camp as does, obviously, powercranks and its owner frank day. you can also throw in the people who ascribe to isolated leg training, one-leg drills, and the old (andy will remember this) "spin coach" sold by ralph ray.

then there are those, and i think perhaps ed coyle (u of texas) might be the best known exemplar, who believe that you just stomp down hard on the pedal, not unlike what we used to do as 3-year-olds on our tricycles. these people believe that what you do on the downstroke is what matters almost entirely, and engaging your hip flexors or flattening your torque profile is counterproductive to being a good cyclist.

am i on the right track so far?

I would say that is a nice assessment of the two camps. Add a little emotion from both sides ("those claims are impossible" "how can you be so obtuse to not see the possibilities") and the fact that neither side has the evidence to prove their case and these threads ensue.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? the guy says "mus-kle"?

that's not good.
respected or not, someone should point that out.

Hey, nobody ever gave Popeye any grief about that.

I'm strongs to the finish, cause I eat my spinach.

I'm Popeye the ...

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...that's classic coming from you dude!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true but i still just go bike...

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who_ is your daddy, and what does he do?

My name detective John Kimball.

I'M A COP YOU IDIOT!!!!

Cranks calls.... love that stuff.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][snip]

am i on the right track so far?[/reply]

You are missing one thing - the possible benefit to running. I believe that part. I am not convinced one way or the other re: the cycling benefit.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It could be worse, he could be, say, an 'elected' official in the most powerful office in the world, who pronounces the word nuclear as "nuke-yoo-lur" :-p "

That is my pet peeve! I also dislike "jew-ler-ry"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are also those who think reject the dichotomy entirely, as it is a artificial entity created in the imaginations of two squabbling camps.

the techniques complement each other.

shock.
Quote Reply

Prev Next