Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am a cyclist. Does that dehumanize me? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

ETA: I'm sure by 2057 when every vehicle has QR codes that can communicate with one another and it can easily distinguish a biker vs a car ahead, it'll actually be a great tool. Of course by then no one will be riding on the roads as all the cyclists will be scared off or only riding in the weekly group rides. I'm getting ready for Zwift triathlons here in the next 20 years...Gotta pay the bills somehow as a coach in endurance sports.

The current interplay of technology: 1. There's little argument that there are more distracted drivers because of smartphones and new vehicle electronics; 2. The fear of more distracted drivers on the roads and the improvement in indoor cycling technology are causing more cyclists to train indoors; 3. More cyclists, not less, riding on the roads is likely the only thing that will eventually change attitudes and subsequently laws regarding penalties for distracted drivers who harm cyclists; 4. Many cyclists who are riding more indoors now hope new technology later will eventually be the answer to making cycling on the roads more safe. Am I missing anything?

One human thing that I do now on the 2-mile stretch of suburban road that I have to ride to get to a multiuse trail: I use a helmet mirror and whenever possible I slow down and turn my head to look at the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear. That lets the driver know that I fear for my safety and want to make sure the driver sees me and is taking action to pass me safely. Brooks, you've mentioned that you don't think most cyclists can make the look back maneuver without moving into traffic. If not, they should practice doing it somewhere out of traffic. If you slow down enough, you can do it safely. I also sometimes actually pull off to the side of the road to let a vehicle/vehicles pass. I absolutely hate having to do it, but again it lets the drivers know that I am a human who fears for my life and limbs.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 3, 19 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: I am a cyclist. Does that dehumanize me? [Rothman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I read the story and then a local newspaper story came out... a lady was passing a cyclist, they hit somehow and he ended up in the ICU... she got a ticket for improper driving. In my area it seems that at least one cyclist gets hit a year.

Queue the normal replies on the papers Facebook thread for the article... "cyclist need insurance, license, no business on the roads, bunch of law breakers, etc." One writer even outright said that if he saw a cycling out on the road, he'd keep them safe by "removing them from their bike and destroying it"... so assault, theft and destruction of property. There were some like on his posts... scary.

The cyclist from the article has since died in the hospital and a follow up on the article was met with much of the same. Very little sympathy for a guy out riding his bike that from the way the story sounds, got cut off by someone trying to squeeze past him and now he's dead.

I find that it is eerily accurate that there is definitely some dehumanization for those that ride bikes... or "kids toys" as one poster put it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next