Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles
Quote | Reply
Today I was FIRED by my Tri Coach for breaking the TRUST bond.

I found HER on the internet and she seemed to be well qualified to coach so I signed up with her and have been for about 3 months. She is strictly an Internet coach as we do not live in the same state, she was to take me to the next level and prepare me for IM Florida. Things were going good, no complaints and I really liked her, so one day I emailed her the rest of my scheduled races that I intend to race ending with IM Florida. I dont hear otherwise so I sign up for my next race, a local sprint race, now keep in mind I am recovering from an ITB issue that seems to be licked as I only run on grass these days. About 3 weeks out she emails me and say that Im thinking that your next race can be a sprint in July, well this is a different race than the one that im signed up for, so I just blow it off, well as time goes by I get the itch to race again and this local sprint race is comming up and Im feeling really good so I race it, I view it as just another workout anyway and I was hoping on a personal best and wanted to surprise my coach, so I race and have a personal best on the swim, Im feeling good and was having a great bike when I got a flat half way, race over.

Well there was no good news to report so I waited a couple of days then told her about what I did and what happened, Im an honest guy, sometimes too honest and I dont like to lie so rather than have her find out about it someother way I tell her about it and she gets reallly pissed and fires me.

I was stunned by her reaction but accepted it and am ready to move on and not dwell on it. Her main point was that I broke the trust between us by racing the sprint race and therefore she could never trust me again, I felt that if she was willing to drop me like this at the drop of a hat then I didnt want her services either so at this point its kinda mutual.

In retrospect I guess im guilty of racing a race without my coaches blessing and for that Ill man up and accept responsibility but is this grounds for Termination, I can see an oly or half iron, but a little sprint race, I just dont get it.

Snifles again :))))))

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you pay her?
Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid on time, every time.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Business must be good for Tri-Coaches. Must be nice to be able to choose customers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have got to be kidding?! For racing a sprint without her permission? Was she a coach or your mom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted, I've never had a tri coach, but that seems harsh. It seems like an innocent "mistake" on your part. Shouldn't she have explained that doing as you did negatively impacts her training schedule, etc., and ask that you not do it again? Then, if you did, she'd be justified in firing your ass.

How was it a violation of her trust if it was an innocent mistake -- and I guess I'm not even sure if it was a mistake at all.
Last edited by: Big Duke Six: Jun 29, 05 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that hilarious. You choose to do a sprint race and this enrages the coach. I thought coaches gave advice not orders.Are you sure she wasn't pissed because you didn't fix your tire and continue racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did ya get a refund for services not provided?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I dont like to lie so rather than have her find out about it someother way..."

You sure this wasn't your wife and this is a metaphor for a fling you had with your girlfriend named Sprint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused about why SHE needs to trust YOU. Generally in the coach/athlete relationship it is the athlete that has to have the trust in the coach's knwoledge and skill.

She certailnly has the right to choose her clients and should only work with people she chooses to but this just seems a bit nutty and controlling.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please post the name of this coach so that others tempted to sign up with her will be prepared. Caveat Emptor.

If I fired every one of my patients who didn't quit smoking when I told them to, my office would be empty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the same thing just happend to Lance.

He tacked on an extra 20 miles onto one of his training rides last week so Chris Carmichael dropped him like a hot potato.
Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Granted, I've never had a tri coach, but that seems harsh. It seems like an innocent "mistake" on your part. Shouldn't she have explained that doing as you did negatively impacts her training schedule, etc., and ask that you not do it again? Then, if you did, she'd be justified in firing your ass.

How was it a violation of her trust if it was an innocent mistake -- and I guess I'm not even sure if it was a mistake at all.

Are you serious? How can a paid trainer fire me? Thats so absurd. We are doing that for FUN, if its fun for me, to drink until 4 in the morning and skip training next day, I will tell my trainer and we will find a way to limit the damage.

Thats his job! But it confirms my position to online training/business/whatever, I would never work with a trainer I never met in person, too many morons out there and you found the mother of all morons.

Forget it, and find a trainer from flesh and blood whom you like and speak the same language with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, now I know why I've never had a coach other than myself. This is absolutely assanine.

Why on earth would you pay some one to have THAT much control over your life? I just don't get it.

Or likewise, how on earth would any one THINK that they even SHOULD have this much control over any one else's life?

Is this normal?

Did this woman have a Russian accent?

I just don't get it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wrap my mind around this. It just seems bizarre. I have a coach (live in person, not via email), and he would never treat me or any other of his athletes like that. I pay him. He writes up a training plan. He coaches me (and a few others, including those that have not hired him) in a masters type swim work out once a week. We commuicate in person, on the phone and via email several times per week. Its my training, my racing. He gives advice but is not nazi like. I tell him what I want to do, he works it in to my training (including a week of skiing in March). You need to get a human coach. I noticed you capitalized HER. Being a woman I'm not one agree with negative stereotypes. That being said, women in general (and me specifically) tend to be a bit more emotional. Maybe she had a cheating husband and that has colored her view of every aspect of her life. Sounds like she has issues. Consider yourself lucky to be free of her...kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats crazy! Its your life, if you want to race you should be able to race. Thats why I dont have a coach, I couldnt handle getting fired:)

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Crono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Please post the name of this coach so that others tempted to sign up with her will be prepared. Caveat Emptor"

Is her name Dona Trump?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cheating, backstabbing bastard! I trusted you, and this is the thanks I get?

-did it sound anything like that??

Sounds like you broke the 'Circle of Trust', you Fokker ;-)

Go find another one. I think there was a thread not too too long ago about the various online coaches, many of whom are posters here. And many of whom are vouched for by other posters here who do or have used their services.

I'm sure you'll find one who is slightly less psychotic and control freakish. Unless of course you sign on with SAC, then yer outta the frying pan, and into the fire. (just kidding SAC)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you broke the 'Circle of Trust', you Fokker ;-)

Very funny!

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So weird. You're definitely better off. You could have pissed her off in September and she could have screwed you in the last few months b/4 for IMFL when you need the most support.

People often look for reasons to get out of things they don't want to do. Maybe she really didn't want to coach and she was looking for any excuse to get rid of clients?? I'm just thinking of scenarios for why a paid coach would dump her CLIENTS in the heart of the season. Messed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" found HER on the internet and she seemed to be well qualified to coach so I signed up with her and have been for about 3 months. She is strictly an Internet coach as we do not live in the same state, she was to take me to the next level and prepare me for IM Florida. "

...never met her? are you even sure she was qualified? seems weird to get coaching from someone not even near you....
Last edited by: madisonbucky: Jun 29, 05 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: I Was FIRED by my Coach Today, snifles [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go find another one. I think there was a thread not too too long ago about the various online coaches, many of whom are posters here. And many of whom are vouched for by other posters here who do or have used their services.

I'm sure you'll find one who is slightly less psychotic and control freakish. Unless of course you sign on with SAC, then yer outta the frying pan, and into the fire. (just kidding SAC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another one-side-of-the-story post where the poster is all in the right and the other party is all in the wrong. Look how you shift the reason behind the coach dropping you. In the next to last paragraph, you give her reason as lack of trust and communication, but then twist it to be more self-serving in the final paragraph to doing a race without the coach's permission. Go back to what she really said. It sounds like the problem was she was working to build to a peak at a certain time and you took it on yourself to ignore her program without telling her. I can understand why she would feel it's pointless to continue working with you. Again, this is based only on what you wrote, the coach might have even more reasons behind what she did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are your own person and did nothing wrong at all! she sounds like a freaking head case!

you are much much better off without this person. she totally over reacted and sounds straight up like a controlling whacko. I've never heard anything more ridiculous than this.

for pete's sakes, if she comes crawling back to you, do not put yourself under her care. there are so many better coaches out there. she is the one not to trust.

this is a huge blessing!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next