Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything
Quote | Reply

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not 120?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you be subscribing after your free preview expires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you draw Strava art on your long run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did it take so much time to run these 118mi?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go - we've had a few races where runs were pretty similar - what are you doing in terms of injury prevention or strength work to mitigate any injuries? I'm assuming lots of double run days with lots of 'easy' miles to compliment harder runs?

I've been tempted to do some higher mileage - think I've topped out at some weeks in the mid 70's for marathon training. I am hoping to do Boston in 2024 (think I just qualified at Philly, but won't know until September of next year), and would like to have a strong race there.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Why not 120?

Seriously, 118.85 = only 1.15 short of a nice even 120, or bump it up to 123.4 or 125

I'd run around the block a few times if it had been me

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sommer wrote:
Did you draw Strava art on your long run?

No, I do the same boring out and back each and every outdoor run for the most part. I’m a creature of routine.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Will you be subscribing after your free preview expires?

No I will not. I don’t really use Strava or scroll it for some reason.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Pigeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pigeone wrote:
Why did it take so much time to run these 118mi?

Lots of easy-easy running on the treadmill and probably not stopping the watch if I go pee halfway.

Same for track night… lots of time walking or standing around.

Finally I’m older… same amount of work as before or other high mileage runners but spread out over more time and more sessions.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 22, 22 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Why not 120?

I don’t really keep track, the reason I even got over 115 was because of finally having a week where I didn’t miss a workout and also doing some bonus miles here and there. Never even occurred to me to do a 2mi run Sunday night to round up.

I did that for 100 once though.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many runs was this in, and what was the longest run? Any workouts or just volume?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I'll go - we've had a few races where runs were pretty similar - what are you doing in terms of injury prevention or strength work to mitigate any injuries? I'm assuming lots of double run days with lots of 'easy' miles to compliment harder runs?

I've been tempted to do some higher mileage - think I've topped out at some weeks in the mid 70's for marathon training. I am hoping to do Boston in 2024 (think I just qualified at Philly, but won't know until September of next year), and would like to have a strong race there.

Definitely easy easy running, and also a perfect gradual progressive overload from 0 to 70 to 105mpw. Prior to this I was always 40-50mpw which netted me a 1:25 off the bike.

I almost always default to the easy side of things… “soft” tempo vs. hard, mildly anaerobic vs deeply anaerobic for track intervals, leaving a couple in the tank for intervals or repeats, doing 16mi when I could have done 20, etc.

I’m also doing doubles, and started with 2x10min and gradually worked up. When you finally start to increase duration, small increases really scale up and suddenly you’re doing high mileage but your long run is only like 20% of your total volume, and you have three runs in between hard sessions to flush out instead of zero or one.

As for injury prevention, I’ve been thinking a lot about this… at the risk of pissing people off I really don’t get what all the fuss is. It’s very easy to not get hurt from my POV. I must have some sort of efficient biomechanics that preclude injury in addition to doing the correct ramp ups and correct frequency and consistency and intensity distribution each week.

That said I’m doing squats and deadlifts 2x/wk and stretching after runs for the first time in my life. I’m also keeping up with core work. I’d say I haven’t lost any weight in the last year and may even be adding some muscle and fat as these 100mi weeks start to add up.

I think it’s “the more you run the more you can run” and a corollary “the more you run the more you have to run” in order to take the dose and adapt or stay injury free.

IOW, more is more, and more more is morer.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Why not 120?

Seriously, 118.85 = only 1.15 short of a nice even 120, or bump it up to 123.4 or 125

I'd run around the block a few times if it had been me

Haha, I’m hoping I do it again another week. I did that to round up to 100 once and I regretted it.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [word_salad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
word_salad wrote:
How many runs was this in, and what was the longest run? Any workouts or just volume?

I run 13x/wk and have a long run usually between 16-20mi but this week was 22mi I think.

I’ve got the Kiawah Island marathon in three weeks.

Originally it was just the long run and then I added track night on Tuesday and recently I added tempo on Thursday. Other than those three all the runs are in the easy or easy-easy category.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 22, 22 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think if you lost a leg to cancer, you could do 183.4mi in a week with a prosthetic like Terry Fox did?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Definitely easy easy running, and also a perfect gradual progressive overload from 0 to 70 to 105mpw. Prior to this I was always 40-50mpw which netted me a 1:25 off the bike.

I almost always default to the easy side of things… “soft” tempo vs. hard, mildly anaerobic vs deeply anaerobic for track intervals, leaving a couple in the tank for intervals or repeats, doing 16mi when I could have done 20, etc.

I’m also doing doubles, and started with 2x10min and gradually worked up. When you finally start to increase duration, small increases really scale up and suddenly you’re doing high mileage but your long run is only like 20% of your total volume, and you have three runs in between hard sessions to flush out instead of zero or one.

As for injury prevention, I’ve been thinking a lot about this… at the risk of pissing people off I really don’t get what all the fuss is. It’s very easy to not get hurt from my POV. I must have some sort of efficient biomechanics that preclude injury in addition to doing the correct ramp ups and correct frequency and consistency and intensity distribution each week.

That said I’m doing squats and deadlifts 2x/wk and stretching after runs for the first time in my life. I’m also keeping up with core work. I’d say I haven’t lost any weight in the last year and may even be adding some muscle and fat as these 100mi weeks start to add up.

I think it’s “the more you run the more you can run” and a corollary “the more you run the more you have to run” in order to take the dose and adapt or stay injury free.

E

nobody gets what all the fuss is until the fuss happens to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to post this to /r/runningcirclejerk?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 140 mpw 5 days before Chicago. Goal was 2:55. Ended up doing 3:16. At the time PR was 2:57, with the biggest week just under 120. So good you did not go over I guess...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you prefer grape or strawberry for your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
natethomas wrote:

E

Yep, I’ll be a wreck if I ever get hurt.

That said, I’m a hobby jogger training by feel, no plan. There’s something going on here.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 22, 22 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [tsszen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsszen wrote:
Do you prefer grape or strawberry for your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

Strawberry.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I ran 140 mpw 5 days before Chicago. Goal was 2:55. Ended up doing 3:16. At the time PR was 2:57, with the biggest week just under 120. So good you did not go over I guess...

Sounds rough…

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Ran 118mi in a Week - Ask Me Anything [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

I agree.

For a coach I find Eric's statement to be a strange perspective. There are countless anecdotes of running injuries that clearly point to an injury risk associated with running. I've been injury prone, and I've been non-injury prone. Good mechanics is certainly a big part of it. Again, I've had both good and bad mechanics at different times...and associated robustness (or lack thereof) as a result.

Eric, I'm sure your squats are a big help. Hip stabilizers (esp. adductors), make a huge difference. I learned this inadvertently, several years ago from rehab.

I've always run as if my feet were both landing on the same line (eg, running on a balance beem, or the white line on the shoulder of the road). And I was also prone to hip, knee, and ankle overuse issues (IT band, patellar tendonitis, Achilles, and other various ankle tendons). Following rehab....my wife noticed that I no longer ran in a single-file gate, but one that was more straddled across a ~4" gap. More like running with each foot on either side of the white line.

After that change in 2018, I had no further running issues, including running 70 - 100 mpw in 2020 for the majority of the year (including 1500 miles over the summer as part of the GVRAT). That said, since I took 2022 off, I've noticed that my gate has returned to an in-line style gate---and, my left ankle has been "sensitive". So, back to doing more hip stabilizer work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going to support you on this, rather than agreeing since I don’t have any other frame of reference. I think there’s a lot of “conventional” thinking out there that sways people away from going further. I think your body builds into it and it seems your N=1 experience shows that injury is not a bogeyman we all need to be afraid of, all the time.

Glad to see it I’m sticking with my own 100/100 goals but I love to see your 200/100 progress
Quote Reply

Prev Next