Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IT Band...need advice
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I was stopped in my tracks a few miles into a light run with outer knee pain. After a few more incidents i saw the doctor and its IT band syndrome. I have a race on 11/1 and have only had 1 maybe 1 1/2 "good" runs since and no runs anywhere near as good as before injury day. I'm sure I can struggle through the run portion of my race but that sucks....any suggestions...PT....specific stretches....cortisone. I'm desperate.
Last edited by: tucker: Oct 17, 03 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: IT Band...need advice [tucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is a PT, and have tons of IT problems when I build marathon mileage. The one stretch I do that really helps is this:

-Sit in a chair

-Cross your legs so that your ankle is on top of your knee (like you are crossing your legs "guy style") If you are crossing right over left (i.e. stretching the right leg) your right ankle will be on your left knee, the lower half of your leg will be parallel to the floor.

-Now just lean over like you are trying to pick something up on the floor in front of you, hold your leg so that it remains somewhat parallel to the floor. You'll feel it in your hip, where the IT band connects to your hip.

Hope this helps,

MikeInSeattle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stretch that works well for me is... Put most of your weight on the leg with the IT problem, also this leg must be straight, then slightly bend the other leg while standing straight up, then stretch twards the ground and the bent leg. This stretches the IT Band, and if you do this often it will help you out.

Good Luck....

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it sucks. I am working through it right now. For some perspective, I was first injured more than six weeks ago. I dramatically increased my running over a 2 week period (stupid), and my knee hurt so bad I could barely walk. I stayed off it for a while, went through a 3 week course of PT, and my longest pain-free run is up to 2.75 miles. Before ITBS, I was running between 3 and 7 miles twice a week.

It really sucks, and unless you get the inflammation down, running will only make it worse. Some people have posted about ART or Active Release Technique therapy - I don't know anything about it. What I do know is that the next thing my Dr. wants to try is cortisone, which I am not really wild about.

Spend some time thinking about what might have caused it. For me, it was increased volume and a poorly tracking left foot that rolled a lot. I got re-fitted with some more supportive shoes and will take them for a spin tomorrow. In any case, I am still many weeks away from a 6 mile run, hopefully you will be in better shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain........really! My ITB flared up one month before AG Nats, my A++++ race, and I managed to nurse it along by icing, stretching, Aleve-ing and using an ITB strap purchased from RoadRunner Sports and recommended by someone on this very board.

All of this did nothing to get rid of the problem, but DID allow me to get through the race with little pain. Once I stopped the anti-inflammatories, it hurt like heck. So my season ended prematurely (I bagged the last 2 fun races) and I am taking 3-4 weeks completely off from running and intensity of any kind in swim or bike and really working the yoga/stretching angle.

Hope this helps. Healing vibes to you.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the news tucker. The race is a tough call. I ran through my ITB pain on a simple 5-miler in Philadelphia last year and did not listen to my body that told me to stop. If you race be very careful. I was not able to run more then 1/2 mile without stopping for almost 4 months. Several trips to doctor and PT - phonophoresus (ph) with cortisone cream. Did not have to get a shot. But mileage increases were very, very, very slow.

Remedies for me were stretching and side leg lifts - just like you see in the old aerobic videos. Search this forum for ITB to get some great advice on the issue. I'll not cover it all again here. But the stretching is not just for the ITB, you have to get your Quads, Hams, and Calves stretched as well. And I think a lot of the problem is strength, so the side leg lifts helped. You can get through this, but it can take a while with a lot of patience. One year later, I still stretch and do the leg lifts 5-6 times a week.

One positive note, runs hurt it a lot more than tris. It seemed like I did not get the pain nearly as fast (until about mile 4) off the bike where running the pain would start after mile 1. So I did all my running as bricks off the bike up to my A race last year. That was the only way I could train at all. Don't know what to tell you about the race. You have to put out the "fire" (inflamation) before any healing can start.

Oh, one other thing. I concentrated a lot more on form since then - higher turnover and not overstriding. I am sure this helped with the ITB and it also helped with much more pace too this season.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for the info on the IT band problem.

I've also noticed that the pain starts later coming off the bike, and as the race is an olympic tri I am set on racing. With winter coming on I guess its as good a time as any to deal with an injury that necessitates rest.

If anybody has gone the cortise shot route I would be very interested.....Doc has me taking 25mgs of Vioxx daily for the time being.

The original injury was a result of long trail miles (ie uneven surfaces). Bummer because injuries, for me, seem to follow big gains in time and speed....also increased training I guess.

On a more positive note I got a new bike yesterday....oh yeah! Thanks again for the info....much appreciated. The stretches are killer....cheers!
Last edited by: tucker: Oct 17, 03 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Doc has me taking 25mgs of Vioxx daily for the time being. [/quote]

Anybody have an opinion on Vioxx v. naproxen? My pharmacist told me that Vioxx is basically an NSAID for people with sensitive stomachs. I have a prescription for it, but haven't filled it because I could get naproxen for less than the cost of the co-pay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking from experience, under no circumstances should you run or cycle. Any activity that requires bending of your leg is out. Unfortunately the only cure for ITBS pain is rest; if you have a more severe case you may want take some NSAID's and apply ice for about 20 minutes every hour or so. Cortisone injections should only be used as a next to last resort by people that derive their income from running; surgery is the last resort to cure ITBS. An excellent article on ITBS causes and solutions can be found here:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/...2_00/fredericson.htm

The only long term solution is to stretch, then strengthen the appropriate muscles as pointed out in the article above. Wearing those silly bands above or below your knee only mask the real problem.

I had to drop out of the Detroit Marathon at about mile 14.5 due to ITBS (knee pain); once your knee starts to hurt the only cure is rest. Trying to push through the pain only does more damage and makes your recovery even longer. The worst part for me is that I had about a projected finish time that would have qualified me for Boston with about 2 minutes to spare AND the weather was perfect that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't push it too hard and when in doubt, stop running. I've struggled with ITB issues this year and they are not fun if you try to run through them.

I'm taking October off to work through this myself and I'm trying many of the suggestions that have been posted here: Stretching, ice, side leg lifts, different shoes, etc. If you go to the Runners World forum, you'll find tons of additional suggestions & info. There are a lot of conflicting opinions, so be sure to share if you find something that really helps you get over it.

Good luck

Barry K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A few weeks ago I was stopped in my tracks a few miles into a light run with outer knee pain. After a few more incidents i saw the doctor and its IT band syndrome. I have a race on 11/1 and have only had 1 maybe 1 1/2 "good" runs since and no runs anywhere near as good as before injury day. I'm sure I can struggle through the run portion of my race but that sucks....any suggestions...PT....specific stretches....cortisone. I'm desperate.

"simply perform 'Walt Reynolds's ITB Special' on a nearly daily basis"

quote from http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...68-knee-injuries.htm

Check it out.

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tucker,

Chubby here again. Missed the fact earlier that you are already on Vioxx. I would be very cautious about your upcoming race. I know it's not what you want to hear - especially with the new bike and all - but just take care of that knee. Just a note, my thinking in last year's November 8K race that I ran through the pain was that I have all winter to heal. I avoided the cortisone shot which was offered to me, but with PT and a strick regimen of stretching/strengthening it was well into this season that I could really push things - at least 6 months of utter frustration. Still one year later I am very cautious about increasing mileage too quickly. Outer knee is the first to let me know when to cut back a bit. You will regret running through any real pain, especially if it's shielded by the Vioxx. Take care and good luck.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Tuker, check out the ART web site. They have a great article on IT band. They can also locate someone close to you that can help. I tried everyhting else. Couldn't run two miles - year later 1/2 ironman.

http://www.activerelease.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IT Band...need advice [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went with the Vioxx because it was free....doc hooked me a ton of samples because I was in between insurances. Thanks again for the words of advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had IT band syndrome for a while. I'd build up the mileage, then have to take time off to let my leg recover, then build up again. Never been able to get anywhere. Recently found a way to deal with it that works.

If your situation is like mine, you have pain in your knee because your muscles have shortened. When you overwork them, they tend to contract while the injured fibers heal. The shorter muscles tend to pull your knee out of alignment and exacerbate the problem, so you get more injured. End result is serious injury to something that's harder to heal than muscle. Rest works because it gives the muscles time to heal on their own, at which point the contractions release and the muscles go back to their normal length. Unfortunately, you've lost fitness during that time.

What's been working for me is actively massaging and stretching my upper and lower leg muscles before my long runs. I mean really work on it -- I spend almost 45 minutes before I start running. I cut a piece of 1" dowel about 18 inches long and use that to work all the knots out of the muscles in my thigh. It hurts, believe me. Your elbow works well too. Massage, stretch. Massage, stretch. After doing that, I can run 20 miles with no (well, little) pain, and can recover in a day or two. If I don't do it, I'm in agony after 10 miles and for a week afterwards.

If your pain came on suddenly during or after a hard workout, you may just have a contraction in one or more muscles that's pulling you out of alignment. Get that to release, and everything else frees up. Try it. If it works for you, you can probably do the race. Check out the Active Release Therapy web sites or Julie Donnelly's site www.julstro.com.

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I developed a similar-sounding problem in late-June, and I think that I just turned the corner on the injury today!

I tried chiropractor, accupuncture, ice, heat, P.T., ultrasound, extended rest... nothing seemed to work. We worked on the knee, hip, quad, stretching, and strengthening. Nothing. I would start each run thinking everything was okay. Then anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes in, the knee would quickly tighten up and progress to pain.

Finally, earlier this week, I started massaging and heating the back of the knee myself. There had been some minor tightness on the back inside tendon of the knee, but no pain whatsoever at any time. Shortly after getting the back of the leg to loosen up, I squatted down to get something out of a lower cupboard in my home. There was a big POP from the left knee -- a good kind of pop.

That was about two days ago, and I ran 20 minutes today almost completely pain free. There were a couple minor twinges, but it was heaven compared to the last several months.

If I had it to do over again, I would have iced first, then gone to heat and massage for the whole leg (front and back). The ultrasound did seem to help some, and a good P.T. could give you some excercises to prevent this in the future.

I did a lot of praying, too.

God bless.

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: IT Band...need advice [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITB syndrome is often caused by the Tensor Fascia LataeT muscle. The following is taken from the Julstro website (authors of The Pain-Free Triathlete). it works.

The TFL is a small muscle that is located between your hipbone (pelvis) and the top of your thighbone (femur). This muscle merges into the ITB, which then goes down the lateral side of the thigh and inserts into the knee joint. But the fibers of the ITB are just strong, slightly stretchable, fibers. The real source of the pain is a spasm in the TFL. A second piece to the problem is because the ITB travels over the lateral borders of the quadriceps and the hamstrings. When the ITB is pulled tight by the TFL, it causes both the quads and the hamstrings to contract under its fibers.

Here is a good treatment (when done correctly): lie on the floor, on your side. Place a tennis ball directly under the TFL and roll your bodyweight onto the ball. You will feel the spasm, and it will really hurt so regulate the pressure you are using. It should always "hurt so good"; too much pressure will cause a problem. However, not enough pressure, or done for too short a time, will be ineffective as well. Many people shy away from the pain caused by the ball. It should hurt, but still be tolerable.

Next, keep rotating your body around so you find all the spasms in the hip area. You'll know exactly when you are on one. You'll feel it. You need to stay on the spasm for 60 seconds or it will come back as soon as you stop pressing on it.

Finally, take an 18" length of dowel (closet pole or broom handle) or a rolling pin (don't let it roll, hold it steady) and from a sitting position, place the dowel at the very top of your leg. You need to put it where your leg meets your trunk. Then push it down toward your knee. Don't go over your knee joint or kneecap. Cover your entire quad this way - lateral, middle and inner thigh.

While it will hurt, you should always feel like you are doing something good for your thigh/hip/knee. You'll know if you are right.

This problem is easy to fix and works great. Do it frequently - you are working out for hours each week, you need to keep the lactic acid flushed out of the muscles on a regular basis.

Check out the forum on their website. Lots of posts on ITB. http://www.julstro.com/18.html
Quote Reply