Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU race bike set-up
Quote | Reply
What are some of the popular bikes on the ITU race circuit? Do most ITU racers use standard road geometry or slightly steeper? What about aerobars? Does almost everyone use 'em in ITU races? My guess is that some don't.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU race bike set-up [Harken Banks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friends riding ITU-style races use road bikes, often with the seat jammed forward a bit. Aerobars are limited by the rules to Jammers/Spinacci length extensions from what I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of male ITU racers use 700c road geometry bikes. Some move the seat slightly forward, but even those that use aerobars (probably fewer men than women due to the nature of their races) ride in a "slammed" postition. Some of the women use moderately forward bikes, like 75 degrees as the packs are smaller and generally they spend more time at the front pulling on the aerobars.

A good numbers still use shorty aerobars, with the rule being that the forward end of the aerobars must be behind the leading edge of the brake levels.

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've built four bikes for Sheila Taormina for use in draft legal ITU style races. In general, Sheila sits at about 75-76 degrees which is where ITU positions seem to settle. As you already know, the short "jammer" style aerobar is popular with many athletes (or their mechanics) making their own versions or using the Profile Jammer GT. The new Oval (John Cobb) jammer "big slam" bar isn't quite available yet. Road bikes are a bit of a compromise for ITU racing but will work better than a 78 degree seat tube angle bike. It seems like the ideal bike is somewhere around 74-76 degrees depending on the rider's body measurements. The riders have to do a lot of cornering and accelerating out of corners as well as drafting in a group but also with the frequent individual effort, especially in the case of Sheila since she is frequently out of the water first and has to ride alone for some time as she did at the Sydney Olympics.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply