Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU now World Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I searched and didn't see a thread. Maybe this isn't that exciting? Maybe there's a conversation here for marketing types.

ITU has rebranded as World Triathlon, with a new logo.

https://www.triathlon.org/

If you're into brand development, this twelve-minute video might interest you.

https://www.triathlonlive.tv/videos/world-triathlon-brand-introduction

Quote Reply
Re: ITU now World Triathlon [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely put some thought into that video. It sounds like they are doing something but I'm not sure what it is. I suppose anything will help the sport though. When I always thought of International Triathlon Union it was already World by the word International.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a whole lot of gobble de gook to say...hey the IAAF changed their name to World Athletics so we said why not...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds too much like "World Triathlon Corporation"
Quote Reply
Re: ITU now World Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

At least they didn't pick World Triathlon Federation, I suppose.

WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU now World Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

The logo hadn't changed, but they had already changed much of their wording over to world triathlon 3 years ago... This has been a long time coming (even the technical official hats the last 3 seasons no longer said ITU, and said Triathlon with the old 3 ring logo built around the O). The good news is that for those who have national team kits and were planning to race worlds in the next year or two, we have a few years before the AG kits will need to have the new logo on them.

In terms of the World Triathlon vs. WTC piece, that's less of an issue, because while the company is WTC, the brand name, and all of the marketing has always been Ironman, not WTC. In fact, I suspect part of the root of the rebrand is to re-assert the federation as THE governing body for triathlon world wide, because many folks in the LD Tri world saw Ironman/WTC as playing that role (Ironman incidentally has partnered with the ITU/World Triathlon for a number of years to help harmonize on rules).

The timing makes sense since there are a bunch of new formats coming out in the next couple of seasons (including AG Sprint/MTR worlds, and a super sprint WC coming to the World Triathlon Championship Final (formerly the Grand Final).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has to be the absolute worst brand launch I've ever seen. Could they have possibly created a more boring video? Could they have found a less exciting announcer? "Be your extraordinary" is their answer to "Anything is Possible!"? Ironman must be laughing.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU now World Triathlon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This has to be the absolute worst brand launch I've ever seen. Could they have possibly created a more boring video? Could they have found a less exciting announcer? "Be your extraordinary" is their answer to "Anything is Possible!"? Ironman must be laughing.

I can't say that I think much of the new logo either. I preferred the old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could they have found a less exciting announcer?

Been knocking on their door for years, and years!

I'll keep trying!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I can't say that I think much of the new logo either. I preferred the old one.

Ditto. The new one looks like the first cousin of the Challenge Family logo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

It was about 15 minutes too long too.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply