Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
I can buy that.. but then if I have a group of people that all race in kits and have warm up gear, t shirts, hats etc. that say "marriage=man+woman" as an example, then that's my prerogative and I would expect the same respect that I show my fellow athletes who I know are gay and want to display that. I know I wouldn't get that same courtesy, God knows why, but what's good for one is good for the other.

Go race in AL / MS /FL / LA, your group would be one of many. I am a white heterosexual male, and I'm effectively a closet atheist. I don't talk religion but I'm pretty much the only one with his eyes open during pre- race prayer.
I am not sure if one could safely do certain races here in rainbow. Safely as in, unharmed.
However, the guy that shows up to races in Mississippi in full Confederate body paint is warmly welcomed.

Just to make clear, I'm not really too stressed out about it all, I'm bigger, stronger, faster and smarter plus I'm too old to get a headache. What ITU is doing is making official what I describe above. But they do it to a group of people that already face continuous discrimination. There are very bad historical examples of this kind of actions.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
I can buy that.. but then if I have a group of people that all race in kits and have warm up gear, t shirts, hats etc. that say "marriage=man+woman" as an example, then that's my prerogative and I would expect the same respect that I show my fellow athletes who I know are gay and want to display that. I know I wouldn't get that same courtesy, God knows why, but what's good for one is good for the other.

Our tie that binds is sport, I wish we'd all keep it that way. We're hung up on the fringe issues and ignoring major issues that affect us all, left, right, black, white, dem, gop, and we hate each other because the radicals are loud and obnoxious and suck everyone in to an all or nothing proposition.

Sigh.

i think the operative difference - if you want to ban stuff from races - are expressions that enfranchise versus those that prohibit or discriminate. speech that embraces versus hates. excludes versus includes. and, not just speech, but behavior.

accordingly, the ITU has been on the right side of history on women's inclusion. women's equality. women's access. so, just insert for "women's" any other group, in any country, that is widely recognized by an educated and illuminated society as being disenfranchised. here in america - and in most enlightened societies - we hold that you should not be discriminated against because of your color, gender, religion, physical ability, or sexual preference. the ITU has pretty much appropriated that ethic. except as regards sexual preference, apparently.

so, let's not conflate "freedom of speech" with the ethic the ITU has rightly adopted, which is, sport draws us together. sport is about inclusion. when religious expressions are okay but sexual preference expressions are not, i think it's fair to ask why that is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
What ITU is doing is making official what I describe above. But they do it to a group of people that already face continuous discrimination. There are very bad historical examples of this kind of actions.

x1000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's very political to speak up for human rights for all people. It's just a given

ecce-homo wrote:
If you read the detail this is not against the rainbow flag in particular but against any religious, political or sexual symbols.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

Have to disagree with you here. Displaying the rainbow flag is an expression of wanting all people to be able to live with their sexual orientation out in the open and not have to worry about discrimination or repercussions. They aren't spreading a message of trying to infringe on anyone's rights or remove those rights from them.

That "marriage = man + woman" message is explicitly trying to deny the right to marry to gay people. Not all messages are equal in their intent, and so not all messages should be treated equally.

As ITU is an international governing body, I have no idea what their obligations are towards allowing or disallowing certain forms of expression, but at best this is entirely tone deaf on the part of the ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've had a busy morning, trying to get to the bottom of how this rule got amended. mind, i've never heard of anyone getting DQd or warned because of any outward expression of religion on one's person.

Were you able to find this out?

Who is/was the ITU is targeting here?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 19, 19 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only that finds it Alanis Morrissette ironic that a guy with homo in his name is the one defending this ITU rule the most?

Yes, I'm aware his username is a latin phrase, a supposed famous religious quote, and a painting. Nevertheless....

Yes, it's a stupid rule and one ITU will likely regret.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:
let me expand your imagination. i've had a busy morning, trying to get to the bottom of how this rule got amended. mind, i've never heard of anyone getting DQd or warned because of any outward expression of religion on one's person.

Were you able to find this out? Who is/was the ITU is targeting here?

emails have gone out to 3 people. no answers back. it's a saturday. but i seriously doubt all of those emails have remained unread. i also emailed to jack bristow, the fellow highlighted in the outsports article. he and i have traded a half-dozen emails this morning. so, jack is certainly on it. were i to guess, the ITU is not going to answer me until they have had an internal discussion about this, figure out their path forward, and have their messaging ready. i don't know, maybe i'm wrong, but i'm shocked if there isn't a 3-alarm fire drill in there right now.

i have my suspicions. nevertheless, i have a lot of respect for the ITU. i just think they made a spectacular miscalculation. the optics are atrocious. this is big medicine. they're going to have to walk this way back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have my suspicions. nevertheless, i have a lot of respect for the ITU. i just think they made a spectacular miscalculation. the optics are atrocious. this is big medicine. they're going to have to walk this way back.

Well, let's hope ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was exactly my thought. They cover their bodies for religious purposes.

I lost all respect for the ITU.

Dan get some Slowtwitch Flag stickers or maybe a rainbow with the logo and I’ll by one for all my bikes.

We need to stop the hate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I can understand prohibiting carrying flags.

you realize this is done at the finish of almost every race? by the winner? including in the olympics?

I have clarified flags other than a country's flag, which, IMHO, is also a political and sometimes religious symbol.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 19, 19 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the rule. It's in the article. I don't think it's at all a stretch to extrapolate why they added sexual orientation this year.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No interference with other athletes and can’t tell you how many athletes and spectators that appreciated it and Thanked me

Last edited by: RUNNER86: Jan 19, 19 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

Our tie that binds is sport, I wish we'd all keep it that way. We're hung up on the fringe issues and ignoring major issues that affect us all, left, right, black, white, dem, gop, and we hate each other because the radicals are loud and obnoxious and suck everyone in to an all or nothing proposition.

Sigh.
]

The difference between wearing a shirt that says "marriage = man + woman" and displaying a pride flag is pretty big:

"marriage = man + woman" is saying to people that you want to prevent them from being able to marry the person they love and all that goes with that. It means you want to prohibit them from engaging in some of the most important and fulfilling aspects of life. Even though it has no impact on you whatsoever.

Displaying a pride flag simply says that you support equal rights and respect for LGBQ people.

One is a message of discrimination and hate. The other is a message of inclusion and respect. One is directed at limiting rights and freedom for a class of people and the other is about NOT restricting freedom.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [RUNNER86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an old white conservative Christian heterosexual male, I would never wear a kit like yours. During a race, it would make me smile and remind me that the race is fun and inclusive! Thanks for sharing!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ecce-homo means "here is the man" or "here you have the man" in Latin. It's what Pontius Pilate said to the masses when he brought Jesus Christ to them. However, I picked the name from Frederick Nietzsche's auto biography, also called Ecce-Homo, and which I find hilarious.

Look, I am not religious, I am not gay, but I've had plenty of gay friends and I don't have any issues with gay expression. What I am debating here is that the ITU is after gay expression with this rule change. To me they are after any type of expression that is not sports related and is potentially conflicting. The world is huge, culture is diverse and we have to respect that. What sounds OK in the US or in Spain, where I come from, can be insulting in other countries. To believe that all form of expressions that are OK in our country should be accepted elsewhere encompasses a feeling of moral superiority.

I am very sad that the world is turning to a place where once certain things are said, the debate is over. Some one grabs a rule from the ITU interprets it however they like, and as long as it is in alignment with a hot topic, the debate is over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So; rainbows are forbidden but hiyabs are allowed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are taking it too far. You can race if you are black, white or yellow. Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Taoist or Hindi. You can race if you are Republican, Democrat, Communist or Anarchist. You can also race if you are a man or a woman, independently of your sexual orientation.

What the rule says is you cannot make propaganda of any of the above during an ITU sanctioned event.

In the case of sexual orientation it applies just as well to the rainbow flag as to an extreme Islamist making propaganda that women are the source of all evil and should stay at home.

What I understand ITU is after with this is to avoid conflict in a very diverse world. What might be OK in the US could potentially cause a riot in other countries. I would be very upset however if somebody got disqualified for making propaganda of their sexual orientation, and others did not get disqualified for making political, racial or religious propaganda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
In the case of sexual orientation it applies just as well to the rainbow flag as to an extreme Islamist making propaganda that women are the source of all evil and should stay at home.

The problem is exactly that it treats these two things the same. As Dan said, messages of hate and discrimination being banned is different from messages of inclusion and respect and they should not be treated as equivalent.

Edit - if a certain country wants to ban certain kinds of speech - they can do that and if the ITU decides to hold a race in one of those countries, the law will suffice. They do not need to implement their own rule that will affect all races in all countries.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 19, 19 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your discussions with the ITU, it might be helpful to point out that this is being discussed across multiple platforms - in addition to Slowtwitch, the Pathetic Triathletes facebook group is discussing it:

https://www.facebook.com/...nk/1184378545074161/

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what happens if Graeme Obree enters an ITU race wearing the rainbow stripes?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We probably share the same moral standards, but I don't believe I am morally superior to those that don't. I infer from your post that you believe to be morally superior to those that don't. You may be right, but that is the essence of the problem.

People in other countries have the right to have different beliefs. And at the very minimum, be given time to adapt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
We probably share the same moral standards, but I don't believe I am morally superior to those that don't. I infer from your post that you believe to be morally superior to those that don't. You may be right, but that is the essence of the problem.

People in other countries have the right to have different beliefs. And at the very minimum, be given time to adapt.

I'm making no statement at all about my own moral standards vs. anyone else's. All I am saying is that ITU should not introduce discriminatory and exclusionary rules that they apply to all events in the world in order to satisfy cultural or political pressure from certain countries.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
What I am debating here is that the ITU is after gay expression with this rule change.

Here is the rule change from the official ITU document. (page 7):

Quote:
Avoid displaying any kind of demonstration of political, religious, sexual orientation or racial propaganda;

They only added two words to the existing rule, and I can't find any other way to interpret it than an intent to target gay expression. Now it could be relatively harmless, like maybe it was an oversight to leave out those two words in the past, and some bureaucrat thought the clause should be broader even though there was no particular incident (that I'm aware of) driving the rule change.

Or they could have been explicitly pressured to add them by some party.

Occam's razor suggests the latter to me. But only the ITU board knows.

I take issue with the term "propaganda". Propaganda is almost always used with pejorative intent, e.g. it's not just advocacy or expression, but the use of biased or fraudulent information used to deceive. Even if they did want to broadly ban social or political expression in an event, I'd prefer they find some other word.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 19, 19 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but a "sexual orientation" display could also mean someone running with flag promoting straight marriage only, depending on how you want to read the definition. I think the ITU are just covering all the bases and I don't really blame them.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply

Prev Next