Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals
Quote | Reply
For those curious about upcoming worlds venues, the ITU Board just approved the following spots.

2020 Multisport Worlds in Almere, Netherlands
2021 Grand Final in Bermuda
2022 Grand Final in Abu Dhabi

https://www.triathlon.org/...u_world_triathlon_gr
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

Right in the middle of peak hurricane season.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if Duffy will still be racing ITU by the time of the Bermuda date.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Trauma wrote:

Right in the middle of peak hurricane season.

this + if you convince the entire country to become triathletes...it wouldn't matter. Lame choice.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abu Dhabi !? HA! F that. When the hell are they going to have the races start? midnight? forecast for the next month... highs over 100 (with an even higher heat index), over night lows in the 80's with a heat index close to 90. I guess maybe if they move the final to December it will be okay.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her Instagram story indicates it's going to be the "perfect way to end [her] WorldTriathlon career"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So no word on 2021/22 Multisport?? Bermuda will be popular because it is a short trip from the East Coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Bermuda race uses the same course as the current WTS race, that would make an awesome Draft Legal race. Especially of they used the (shorter) Elite course - five times up Corkscrew Hill! It would be crowded for the Olympic race, though.

No dates announced for the Multisport race, though. Hopefully before DuNats next April so we can plan.
Last edited by: HandHeartCrown: Sep 11, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:
Her Instagram story indicates it's going to be the "perfect way to end [her] WorldTriathlon career"

Was hoping she'd move to LC after Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
For those curious about upcoming worlds venues, the ITU Board just approved the following spots.

If I understand that correctly, that means the 2020 long distance aquabike championships will be in Amere? If so, damn. I wasn’t going to swim next year but that’s a Multisport vacation my wife might actually want to go on.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they learned their lesson with Mexico in 2016. Races started in the late afternoon and awards were done in the dark. Some athletes (coughJONNYBcough) nearly dropped dead in *that* heat. I'll put it out there now that the Abu Dhabi GF year is the year Jonny decides to join Ali at the 70.3 distance.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Aquabike, LD, Du, Cross Tri and Auqathlon will be in Almere in 2020...

I assume a 2021 announcement for Multisport is forth coming in the next couple of months, 2022 won't be for a bit, since the bidding process that was open was for 2020/2021...

Will have to see the dates for a Bermuda grand final, and yes hurricane season is sub-optimal... but that bothers me less than Abu Dhabi in terms of their laws and human rights issues... I would consider going to Bermuda, I would not be spending my money in Abu Dhabi...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sure would be nice to have it in a place that has maybe some very cold rain involved...slippery or not, heck, how about a place with the 60's or 70's for average highs?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where Almere is Sir?

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

Is this Olympic and sprint for age groupers?
Aquathon?
Anything else?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Trauma wrote:

Aquathon?
Anything else?

The multisport worlds are Duathlon, Long Course Tri, Aquabike, Aquathon and Off-road tri (might have missed some).
The Bermuda and Abu Dhabi finals are sprint and olympic distance triathlon world championships for age groupers.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilanias wrote:
PJC wrote:
Trauma wrote:

Aquathon?
Anything else?

The multisport worlds are Duathlon, Long Course Tri, Aquabike, Aquathon and Off-road tri (might have missed some).
The Bermuda and Abu Dhabi finals are sprint and olympic distance triathlon world championships for age groupers.

To clarify, there are two Duathlon races: Draft Legal Sprint and Standard distance (non-draft legal).
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Do you know where Almere is Sir?

CC

Yeah, I know where Almere is. They hosted long course triathlon worlds in 2008. When I showed up I was thinking I would need to wear some extra gear due to the cool temperatures. But it got warmer each day. By race day it was HOT!! Like many others, I was dying of the heat and cramping on the 30K run. It never rained all week. However, it was a great day for Dutch spectators. They were out in droves having picnics and soaking in the sun.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is correct... Althopugh apparently starting in 2021 the ITU may be holding a separate sprint/super sprint/MTR world champs for AG and Elite, but the venues have yet to be unveiled... So stay tuned on that front.

For whomever is looking for a more reasonable temp venue, Almere should fit the bill. We were supposed to get that in Denmark this year for multisport worlds, but the massive Euro heatwave meant that it was still pretty toasty (for the Sprint Du, it was 26ish Celsius when we raced, it was low 30s for the Aquathlon), the only coolish race was the start of the LD Tri, but once the sun came out as most were hitting the run, the temperature soared... I too prefer cooler temps, don't mind the wet, and would love a super technical bike course. In Odense for the Sprint Du, we got a super technical run course, but the bike was pretty pedestrian... hopefully Almere doesn't wuss out and gives us a proper kermess style bike course...
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
It sure would be nice to have it in a place that has maybe some very cold rain involved...slippery or not, heck, how about a place with the 60's or 70's for average highs?

You do know that the Grand Final was in Rotterdam last year, right? And it rained nearly the entire time. Next year the Grand Final will be in Lausanne, Switzerland. Again, cooler temps (60's and 70's). Then, Edmonton will host the 2020 Grand Final.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Abu Dhabi must have ponyed up some cash. Can't imagine it will be hugely popular. Yuck.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds venue announcements 2020 Multisport/2021 and 2022 Grand Finals [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abu Dhabi may well be very beautiful, and if you want a scorcher, it may have appeal.. but I wouldn't go near there with a 10ft pole... It makes fiscal sense to go there for the ITU (keep in mind any risk of having a small AG field to not offset costs of the event are borne by the LOC, they also get any profits garnered, but bear all of the risk, if many athletes collectively decide to stay away), but given their history as being progressive in terms of their inclusiveness (equal prize money for both sexes since their inception, current IOC rules for trangendered athletes were based on an ITU case with a transgendered AG athlete from the US at a worlds a few years back, etc.), it's surprising that they take their flagship race to a country where women don't have full rights, it's illegal to be non-heterosexual, and where it's illegal for people from certain ITU Member nations, to enter the country... And that's just scratching the surface...
Quote Reply