Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton
Quote | Reply
Have been selected -what are the chances it goes ahead?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Alberta. We're well into the third wave and have just surpassed the second wave in terms of number of daily cases. Worst per capita infection rate in North America.

I would say highly unlikely. Even if it does, I wouldn't go.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe for the pro's, but next to no chance for the age groupers. Even if the race got a permit, there would probably be a quarantine required for non Canadians
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
certainly things could change fast, and rates in the northern hemisphere would likely fall again in summer. but as the others have said, alberta is getting absolutely hammered at the moment. i wouldn't bet much on going.

also, and at the risk of seeming unkind: i used to live and race in edmonton, and have done the itu course twice (or 3 times?). it's not a particularly beautiful or exciting race and i wouldn't say you're missing much. the people of alberta are amazing salt-of-the-earth types, and you could make a fantastic holiday out of seeing the prairies and the rockies with a relatively short drive to places like jasper, but you could have a really rich and reward tri career without ever doing the edmonton itu.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
certainly things could change fast, and rates in the northern hemisphere would likely fall again in summer. but as the others have said, alberta is getting absolutely hammered at the moment. i wouldn't bet much on going.

also, and at the risk of seeming unkind: i used to live and race in edmonton, and have done the itu course twice (or 3 times?). it's not a particularly beautiful or exciting race and i wouldn't say you're missing much. the people of alberta are amazing salt-of-the-earth types, and you could make a fantastic holiday out of seeing the prairies and the rockies with a relatively short drive to places like jasper, but you could have a really rich and reward tri career without ever doing the edmonton itu.

By that point in the summer, things are on the floor relative to case counts and hospitalizations based on how these vaccines work and what happened last summer with people outdoors and kids not in schools too....but I doubt the quarantine coming to Canada changes until the fall unless the tourism industry can really lean on the feds based on experiences from UK and Europe allowing fully vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

By that point in the summer, things are on the floor relative to case counts and hospitalizations based on how these vaccines work and what happened last summer with people outdoors and kids not in schools too....but I doubt the quarantine coming to Canada changes until the fall unless the tourism industry can really lean on the feds based on experiences from UK and Europe allowing fully vaccinated.

i really have to assume that the business travel and tourism lobbies are pressing really, really hard to get things opened up through vaccine passports or whatever surely there's a near future where fully-vaccinated people can start to move around (carefully) again, even if it means keeping masks on and stuff?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this race on my Calendar for 2 years but am not hopeful that it will happen. My wife and I have a no kids trip booked for this and then a trip to Banff. I'm ok if the race is cancelled as long as we can still go on vacation. We are both fully vaccinated. I'm just hoping that we can at least get some type of vaccine exemption, but I'm only going to give it a few more weeks before I pull the plug and try to plan something else.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is USAT going to do if canceled again? Roll over 2019 racers to 2022?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Have been selected -what are the chances it goes ahead?
Zero for age groupers. They promised to make a decision by mid-May. Next week is three months out so I think we'll know very soon. Keep an eye on the "World Triathlon Edmonton" facebook page.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe if Edmonton gets cancelled they can re-schedule for someplace else - like have the olympic-distance race and other events that were going to be in Edmonton in Bermuda in October?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’m hoping they at least move the Edmonton age group events to Bermuda rather than cancel outright. I don’t want my spot rolled over to Abu Dhabi 2022- that long of a trip would not get the wife stamp of approval:)
Last edited by: Torrent: May 11, 21 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stating the current case counts in Alberta is irrelevant to what will happen in August.

I've said all along I expect the Canadian border to open with the USA at the end of June as well as ending the quarantine requirements.
Most restrictions should be lifted in Canada by mid-July given the current rate of vax (we just hit #1 in the world for per capita doses per day).

Westjet and AC are showing international flight schedules for August.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
Maybe if Edmonton gets cancelled they can re-schedule for someplace else - like have the olympic-distance race and other events that were going to be in Edmonton in Bermuda in October?

From what I've read, Bermuda does not have sufficient infrastructure and could not accommodate the additional events and people scheduled for Edmonton. I'm speculating only, but think that World Triathlon cannot keep postponing races if they ever want to get back on schedule. They might hold the elite race in Edmonton under bubble rules for those few athletes while cancelling the AG races altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Stating the current case counts in Alberta is irrelevant to what will happen in August.

I've said all along I expect the Canadian border to open with the USA at the end of June as well as ending the quarantine requirements.
Most restrictions should be lifted in Canada by mid-July given the current rate of vax (we just hit #1 in the world for per capita doses per day).

But they are going to make a decision this month, not at the end of June. Neither athletes nor organizers can plan on maybe's, should be's, and expectations.

Statement by World Triathlon Edmonton two weeks ago: "We are still hopeful our Age Group Championships can happen and have been working closely with Health Authorities. As we move closer to our event we are aiming to have a decision regarding the capacity of our event by mid-May."
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

But they are going to make a decision this month, not at the end of June. Neither athletes nor organizers can plan on maybe's, should be's, and expectations.

Statement by World Triathlon Edmonton two weeks ago: "We are still hopeful our Age Group Championships can happen and have been working closely with Health Authorities. As we move closer to our event we are aiming to have a decision regarding the capacity of our event by mid-May."

WTE just needs to add some rodeo events and it will be a go for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

We'll be lucky if Doug Ford opens provincial borders by then.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I know we're all a bit pessimistic right now but Ontario is at 41% of adults with one dose and it's going up fast.
First doses are VERY effective at preventing new cases.
In 2-3 weeks, based on places like Israel and the UK we will see a marked inflection point and an exponential decline in new cases
Things will change very quickly at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
marcag wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I know we're all a bit pessimistic right now but Ontario is at 41% of adults with one dose and it's going up fast.
First doses are VERY effective at preventing new cases.
In 2-3 weeks, based on places like Israel and the UK we will see a marked inflection point and an exponential decline in new cases
Things will change very quickly at that point.

Completely agree.

However Ford was so burned last round he is being probably too strict. They are extending the stay at home until June 2nd, province wide rather than regionally.

Legault just said Quebec will release a re-opening plan in 2 or 3 weeks. We should have a better idea when triathlons are possible.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Completely agree.

However Ford was so burned last round he is being probably too strict. They are extending the stay at home until June 2nd, province wide rather than regionally.

Legault just said Quebec will release a re-opening plan in 2 or 3 weeks. We should have a better idea when triathlons are possible.

I don't live in Ontario, but the closing of outdoor sports is just absurd. An incompetent govt that listens to fools instead of scientists and health professionals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
marcag wrote:

Completely agree.

I don't live in Ontario, but the closing of outdoor sports is just absurd. An incompetent govt that listens to fools instead of scientists and health professionals.

Perhaps even more so in light of this new report from today's NYT of all media. https://www.nytimes.com/...sion-cdc-number.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were betting, the race will happen. Elites will happen under a bubble, AG, less clear, there will be an AG race, but it might be Canada only/Alberta only (I.e. not Worlds), depending on what the border situation is looking like.

I'd be shocked if Bermuda couldn't handle both events from an infrastructure perspective, because when they originally bid to host, it was going to include both events, the split was only due to last year's edmonton race being cancelled... The trickier part is whether they could host both events while a pandemic is still going on...

I'm still waiting on the decision for Almere, which is due sometime this month. if Tri Can defers us, I'll likely pass on Townsville next year, which sucks, but I don't think I could get away for that long...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
marcag wrote:

Completely agree.

I agree that outdoor sports should be able to happen. But with regards to your above statement, I think you'd find that health professionals, especially those that are front line workers, actually agree with everything being shut down. Those doctors dealing with the current hospital situations have a different outlook than those of us sitting at a computer dreaming of races.........
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 11, 21 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Premier of Alberta was on a "this will be the best summer yet", but he hasn't mentioned anything for the last few weeks as our case counts rise.

If I was a betting person, I'd vote for maybe Elites, but definitely no AG.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
If I were betting, the race will happen. Elites will happen under a bubble, AG, less clear, there will be an AG race, but it might be Canada only/Alberta only (I.e. not Worlds), depending on what the border situation is looking like.

I'd be shocked if Bermuda couldn't handle both events from an infrastructure perspective, because when they originally bid to host, it was going to include both events, the split was only due to last year's edmonton race being cancelled... The trickier part is whether they could host both events while a pandemic is still going on...

I'm still waiting on the decision for Almere, which is due sometime this month. if Tri Can defers us, I'll likely pass on Townsville next year, which sucks, but I don't think I could get away for that long...

Based on that last video conference by the Almere RD some weeks ago, I wasn't expecting a decision on Almere until maybe mid-June. I would love to know this month though. Given the postponement of the Viborg middle distance duathlon worlds from Oct to next year, it doesn't look good.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU (WT) age-group world champs in August in Edmonton [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I agree that outdoor sports should be able to happen. But with regards to your above statement, I think you'd find that health professionals, especially those that are front line workers, actually agree with everything being shut down. Those doctors dealing with the current hospital situations have a different outlook than those of us sitting at a computer dreaming of races.........

Wrong. Isaac Bogoch today:

Quote:
#COVID19 transmission outdoors....extremely rare, but not 0%.
We should be encouraging & facilitating outdoor activities...it is safe, and good for physical & mental wellbeing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next