Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITB flare up
Quote | Reply
My ITB flared up something fierce during a run today. Haven't been doing anything more than a few 3-5 mile runs a week because it's all I've got. Still painful several hours later when walking around the house. Any suggestions for what to do in the immediate term to prevent this from progressing? All I have right now are these few runs a week - very important for my mental and physical health right now. Feeling desperate.
Quote Reply
Re: ITB flare up [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure the pain subsides, and feels a little better before doing anything more to it. Then, get cracking on plenty of glute and external rotator hip exercises. Squats, hip hinges, deadlifts, toe out sumo squats, starfish side planks, monster walks and side steps with a band around the toes. Body weight, bands or light weights will usually suffice. These should be doable 3-5x everyday. Avoid rolling and stretching too much on it, but do work on adductor stretches and general flexibility everywhere. All of this as tolerated of course, don't overdo it to the point of being painful at the site. Also have a good look at your form, shorter quicker steps and focusing on your foot landing under your body instead of in front will ease the impact on the ITB.

Good Luck.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do what that guy above said strength!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME with ITBS, the biggest pitfall is running on it too soon. If it's still even a little inflamed, running on it will make things worse and set the recovery back to square one. For me, it took two full weeks off running to be able to resume without it flaring up (trying to run sooner just reset the clock).

I've found that I can bike on it after a few days...so I just bike until things settle down. There is also a band you can place above the knee that presses on the ITB to make it less likely to rub (below). I've found that to help.

https://www.rei.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 5, 20 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: ITB flare up [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
IME with ITBS, the biggest pitfall is running on it too soon. If it's still even a little inflamed, running on it will make things worse and set the recovery back to square one. For me, it took two full weeks off running to be able to resume without it flaring up (trying to run sooner just reset the clock).

I'd go a step futher, and generalize those statements to ALL connective tissue overuse injuries. I think I've had them all at several points. My number one rule: Thou shalt not workout in pain. Related to that: drungs don't count as "no pain". If I can't go drug free, I don't go.

I actually think re-injury is worse than resetting the clock to zero. For me, its always been more like 1 extra week per re-injury. So, if I get a mild flare-up....I might be able to return after a week (assuming it was pretty mild and near the end). But, if I go back out after that week, and feel the twinge and hope it will go away after warming up...only to be worse...then its 2 weeks. Repeat that? Then its three week. Eventually, it gets to the point where it takes MONTHS of rehab.

I went down that dark road way to many times when I was younger...before I truly believed in rule #1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this article...a science based approach.

Iliotibial Band Impingement Syndrome:
An Evidence-Informed Clinical Paradigm Change
Paul R. Geisler, EdD, ATC, and Todd Lazenby, MA, ATC • Ithaca College
Quote Reply
Re: ITB flare up [RebelATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RebelATC wrote:
Read this article...a science based approach.

Iliotibial Band Impingement Syndrome:
An Evidence-Informed Clinical Paradigm Change
Paul R. Geisler, EdD, ATC, and Todd Lazenby, MA, ATC • Ithaca College

Here's an actual [link :Edit: link may not work, manual search will work, apologies]. Pretty much confirms my previous recommendation, with the exception that I can't examine your mechanics and give you a more personalized regimen based on your specific running and mobility. But, adding some running can help.

Good luck, OP.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Last edited by: ironmatt85: May 6, 20 8:19
Quote Reply