Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May
Quote | Reply
we can discuss this here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 23, 21 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN World Championship thread (for upcoming news) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hitting refresh often enough that I realize that the counter is going up each time I view the page (not per person). I think I'm good for 20 of the views so far. Under/over on when the announcement comes? EOD Pacific?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN World Championship thread (for upcoming news) [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sperris wrote:
Hitting refresh often enough that I realize that the counter is going up each time I view the page (not per person). I think I'm good for 20 of the views so far. Under/over on when the announcement comes? EOD Pacific?

i can't be certain, but i have an instinct for these things. my water witching wand sez it's going to pop right about now. any time.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN World Championship thread (for upcoming news) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got my bowl of popcorn ready and keep refreshing my email inbox!
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly hope so Dan. I'm a major, major IM fan but this uncertainty around what happens to all of us previous qualifiers is testing my faith in the company.....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...nto_2_Days_8091.html

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn’t think of a more fair solution that keeps everyone satisfied

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN World Championship thread (for upcoming news) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. George WC might offer some qualified AG'ers a better shot at a higher finishing position if they don't do well in Kona/heat and it may not be as competitive.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really impressed. Pretty fair solution.

Now lets just hope 2022 Kona doesn't get cancelled/postponed.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this idea overall. What I would be a bit opposed to is having two separate 2500 people races conceptually. Granted I don't see myself qualifying for quite some time, so my opinion may be moot. But people often talk about the draft fests at Kona, the only way to reduce that is to reduce total field size. Let's say cap the fields for each race at 1500? Giving you 3,000 athletes? I'm guessing that doesn't make business sense, so let's do 1800 per race?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the email from WTC.
I'm just happy they are giving the choice to defer to Oct. I have no idea who would want to qualify to Kona just to go race it in Utah.
Now just need to deal with changing all the travel arrangements (yet again)
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Just got the email from WTC.
I'm just happy they are giving the choice to defer to Oct. I have no idea who would want to qualify to Kona just to go race it in Utah.
Now just need to deal with changing all the travel arrangements (yet again)

People who have raced Kona multiple times and don't do well in the heat. They could clean up here.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I qualified for Kona 2021 by not racing since IMFL 2017 and just signing up for SG 2022. I was hoping the field would remain smallish though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so at a loss - I don't know how to feel. First Ironman, which was deferred from Santa Rosa to CDA to St. George... and somehow I'm in a World Championship all of a sudden? I guess this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but...am I excited? More nervous now? Wow!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to imagine Oct 2022 going off as planned unless the current political climate changes. There will be another seasonal wave in Hawaii next Aug/Sep as there was in 2020 and now 2021, and unless the risk tolerance of the population at large changes in a year (doubt it) or the big island adds hospital capacity (doubt it) the future of holding a race in Hawaii is jeopardized for years to come.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
I am so at a loss - I don't know how to feel. First Ironman, which was deferred from Santa Rosa to CDA to St. George... and somehow I'm in a World Championship all of a sudden? I guess this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but...am I excited? More nervous now? Wow!!

Save your pennies, you will be buying every bit of kit in the march tent!!!

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people are going to race Kona in October of 2022???? Seems like with three plus years worth of qualifiers they would need more days. I commend Ironman for planning all of this out. Must have been a nightmare. Now to execute.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Splitting into two days on Oct. 6 & 8 begs the important question: when will the TGINR party be?
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
How many people are going to race Kona in October of 2022???? Seems like with three plus years worth of qualifiers they would need more days. I commend Ironman for planning all of this out. Must have been a nightmare. Now to execute.

I would guess 4000, 2000 each day.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Sep 23, 21 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So StG will be a World Championship race merged with a tradition AG race?
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha SO true!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
So StG will be a World Championship race merged with a tradition AG race?

A WC race for all involved, the 2500 who simply signed up are grandfathered in.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:

Theoretically 2 years worth of qualifiers minus a whole lot of races that got canceled at least once, sometimes twice, and between now and then limiting slots they give out at races, plus the extra space you gain by holding 2 races over 3 days.... oh also you have lots of people who qualify year after year after year who only need one slot. It doesn't seem that unreasonable. Going to be tough to get hotel rooms though with nearly twice the usual field.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 IRONMAN WC split into 2 days, Men/Women, in Kona in Oct; 2021 Worlds in St George this May [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
Will all athletes competing on 7 May need to have already KQ'd?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the first world problem, but already qualified for both 2021 and 2022, I wonder if they allow to defer my entry to Kona 2023 or later
Quote Reply

Prev Next