Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN VR pro drag race
Quote | Reply
the thread we have on the IM VR is full of posts on the AG version of this. but the pro version, i have a number of questions, one of which is, do you have a sense for why each of the men has chosen to ride his tri bike on the trainer? they're spending little-to-no time in aero, and when i'm not in aero i'd rather be on my road bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 5, 20 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sponsorship reasons?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's the only thing i can think of. but these guys don't have their cameras set to view the bikes, so, i don't really see the point. and, patrick lange, you can see the road bike in the background, against the wall, as he's riding his tri bike on the trainer. with hands on the pursuits virtually the whole time. i don't think canyon would have any trouble with him riding his canyon ultimate during this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty funny to see Can Wurf throw digs at Lange for drafting and saying he has no chance of winning with nobody to draft off of.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is wrong with the way Rouvy works with trainers/speed. Joe Gambles just did a hard effort on Boulder course and was 2hrs 42min, he has done that race sub 2 hours. Even with course changes that is way off.
Last edited by: CP78: Apr 5, 20 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They may not own a road bike (at least some of them). I would also add that I think a lot of triathletes are more comfortable on their tri bike (even out of aero). Personally, I prefer my tri bike over a road bike just for comfort reasons.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really prefer my tribike on the trainer. I have more positions to ride in. It seemed like a fairly flat course.
I am sure on Slowtwitch zero people picked Lange 😜

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of things with indoor electronic racing. It would be like swim racing with pull buoys. You get more speed from the same or higher wattage because real world drag is kind of a non factor. You get more speed for the same power indoors by sitting up. Just like a pull buoy...for the same power output, you get more speed in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I really prefer my tribike on the trainer. I have more positions to ride in. It seemed like a fairly flat course.
I am sure on Slowtwitch zero people picked Lange 😜

i also like my tri bike on a trainer. because i can ride in the aero position. its restful. in the aero position.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a real road bike, so while I don't really have a choice, I think I would still elect to ride my tri bike on the trainer. I like having the option to go into aero for some relief but would probably spend 80/20, with more time on the hoods, doing one of these races. I wouldn't give up having the bars for short spurts though.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 5, 20 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All they got is 4? And the Rouvy deal? :-)

Almost all pros ride on Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger front ring on the TT bike. Gotta push watts, be competitive, and not run out of gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest question was... does Patrick Lange really weigh 130lbs?

It caught my eye as I was looking at his metrics and thinking the power output / watts per kg seemed familiar metrics to me as a 130lb female. Not that I can hold that power for the same time but the ratios are familiar to me...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They’re not done... plenty of pros would race for the appearance fees... and likely will do so in the coming weeks.

It was pretty amazing that Ironman pulled an event off as quickly as they did, mistakes and all... and it was reasonably entertaining. Heck, there’s so little sporting action in the world, the Tim O’Donnell sabotage of Rinny’s race made the sports pages of the Guardian!

I’ll never complain about mainstream coverage of triathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
All they got is 4? And the Rouvy deal? :-)

Almost all pros ride on Zwift

Yeah, but Zwift doesn't have Ironman courses now, does it?

They've got more than 8 (4 Men, 4 Women), they just only featured 8.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much prefer my tri bike on the trainer, aside from bigger ring got my ism seat for hours of comfort and the bars allow more options to shift your weight during longer rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the thread we have on the IM VR is full of posts on the AG version of this. but the pro version, i have a number of questions, one of which is, do you have a sense for why each of the men has chosen to ride his tri bike on the trainer? they're spending little-to-no time in aero, and when i'm not in aero i'd rather be on my road bike.

Dan, I think the vast majority of pros just ride the "one" bike, and so whether it's aero position or on the horns, they're just used to it. I know I am, and my back for one reason or another holds up better on the trainer on the tri bike (regardless of position) versus the road bike (regardless of position).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:

When he won 2017 he was 138lbs and 5'10", as mentioned in this article.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Bike_details_of_the_Top_15_Kona_male_Pros_6639.html

Damn near underweight on the BMI scale, so he is superlight and vegetarian. I remember Lionel put out a video saying he got an eating disorder in 2018 focusing too hard on Patrick's weight/way of eating.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
[Yeah, but Zwift doesn't have Ironman courses now, does it?

I would argue that means more variety, and less loops and highways, course dependent obviously. But the least interesting part of the VR1 broadcasts was the course visuals imo... Maybe it's really that the Boulder bike course isn't my jam, I'm sure something like Nice or Penticton or something similarly scenic and non looping might be more to look at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@bigmetztri should be disqualified for not covering his torso!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN VR pro drag race [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right... he is small, I've met him in person but if his Kona race weight is 138lbs, his April weight is likely a bit higher... but even if it's not... that 8lbs is still a meaningful delta?

FasterTwitch wrote:
sfjab wrote:

When he won 2017 he was 138lbs and 5'10", as mentioned in this article.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Bike_details_of_the_Top_15_Kona_male_Pros_6639.html

Damn near underweight on the BMI scale, so he is superlight and vegetarian. I remember Lionel put out a video saying he got an eating disorder in 2018 focusing too hard on Patrick's weight/way of eating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was Lange on a controllable smart trainer for this race? Or, just a power meter? This pic looks like that portable quasi-roller unit, forget the brand name, but I assume its not a smart trainer.

tinman
Quote Reply