Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IRONMAN NC
Quote | Reply
Its in less than two weeks and many of the bridges on the bike course are under water and impassible up on HWY 210. I wonder if they will take a chance on it clearing out by race day or find an alternate bike course. I drove up there yesterday and it's not looking good. Water is expected to rise through the weekend. The entire section in question takes up about 60% or more of the bike course so it's not like they can just cross that part off...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed. Still 10 days out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sincerely hope for the sake of the athletes that it goes off as planned. Regardless of what it looks like right now, I'm sure there are hydrologists who can model how fast the water will rise and recede based on current conditions and predicted additional rainfall between now and race day. I would hope that WTC has contacted experts to help make their decision rather than just cross the fingers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its stories like this that have me worried more than the receding water, I rode that area about every weekend over the summer and there are a bunch of bridges that may have to be shut down until some engineers can come in and give the OK. I am hoping for the best though.

http://www.wect.com/...collapse-at-any-time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just me or does this seem like a tough year for Ironman races? The Texas bike course debacle, the cold Frankfurt swim, heat at Chattanooga, no swim and flooding at Maryland, and now NC. Maybe I'm just paying closer attention, but it seems like this year Ironman has had a lot of challenges to deal with at their races.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://water.weather.gov/...o=rah&gage=tomn7

Forecast data is not available at this stream gauge but it is trending to be back to normal by race day. Road damage would be a bigger concern than flood waters by that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally a valid reason to lengthen the swim.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm hoping for 2 things..

1) A quick recovery for the town and the people
2) That there is a bike course to ride on next week

Anybody down there know if there is enough open road for a plan B? Maybe a smaller 2 loop course?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the one im worried about, my friend lives out that way just down the street and said it is going to be far worst than FLOYD, he sent me a picture of 210 in Currie and the bike course is a few feet under water..

http://water.weather.gov/...o=ilm&gage=rdkn7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be willing to share that picture?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, send me an email address in my inbox and Ill send it to you, I've tried to copy and paste the photo in the forums but couldn't do it..
Last edited by: MANDOWN: Oct 12, 16 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am nervously watching this. It is my first full IM. Hopefully they can get something cleared out for the bike course.

Too bad this is a branded race. An independent race would probably throw together some sort of flood relief effort. So many people have been hit throughout the country this year, I suspect the relief groups are getting depleted of resources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
Its stories like this that have me worried more than the receding water, I rode that area about every weekend over the summer and there are a bunch of bridges that may have to be shut down until some engineers can come in and give the OK. I am hoping for the best though.

http://www.wect.com/...collapse-at-any-time

Is this bridge on the bike route?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman NC 2016, aka SwimRun 28.6
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

I understand your sentiment, but it wouldn't work out to 28.6. You don't start the run where you finish the swim. There would have to be at least SOME bike miles......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

I understand your sentiment, but it wouldn't work out to 28.6. You don't start the run where you finish the swim. There would have to be at least SOME bike miles......

If there's enough flooding it might just be 'swim all the way to t2'. [/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your doing the half you should be good to go, all the roads that are flooding are on the full course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
If your doing the half you should be good to go, all the roads that are flooding are on the full course.

Maybe we get 84.6 (2.4 + 56 + 26.2)

Last edited by: japarker24: Oct 12, 16 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
MANDOWN wrote:

That would actually be a pretty cool distance to race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Ah, point to point race. I absolutely despise those. Maybe it'll be a ride to T2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make it a standalone marathon. It's the only path that I have to seriously contend for a Kona slot :)

japarker24 wrote:
MANDOWN wrote:

Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:

Then maybe they'll just make 2 loops of it?

Seems reasonable.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
MANDOWN wrote:

Seems reasonable.

The point to point seems to throw a wrench in that. They would have to get creative and do 3 loops of the north / south segment or something along those lines.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NC [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
MANDOWN wrote:

Seems reasonable.

The point to point seems to throw a wrench in that. They would have to get creative and do 3 loops of the north / south segment or something along those lines.

True it's point to point, but hopefully they can get creative within that big loop and cut it in half/loop it IF it comes down to it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next