Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN Louisville NEW, new run course (3 Loops)
Quote | Reply
Just received this from Ironman Louisville. Course now changing to a 3 loop course.
Link to course is here

The NEW 2019 Run Course Introducing the NEW, new run course for 2019 IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health.

Due to some operational changes, we’ve had to make some revisions to the run portion of our course. We know it’s not ideal to make changes this close to race day, but we are working hard to deliver the best run course and experience possible.

The new, 3-loop course will take you out from the Louisville Waterfront Park, down E Witherspoon St towards Eva Bandman Park and then through Louisville Champions Park. Cruising down River Rd will give athletes a nice view of the Ohio River and offer plenty of shade as you trot along greenway trails and through the many parks downtown has to offer. Friends and family will have many opportunities to cheer you on as you make your way towards the Finish Line at Fourth Street Live! and cross this massive bucket list item off of your list!

We can’t wait to see you next month in Louisville!

Last edited by: Gervs: Sep 18, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Louisville NEW, new run course (3 Loops) [Gervs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends largely on how wide the paths are. The previous run was 100% in streets, so very wide. A 3 loop course run on sidewalks could get a bit crowded.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Louisville NEW, new run course (3 Loops) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The previous "new" run was all on paths as well, but 2 loops, and both directions in some areas. This may be more crowded in spots, but now everyone will be travelling the same direction when on a trail. There are still 2x180 hairpins per lap though.

Quote | Reply
This is at least better than the other new course that was released a few months ago. That thing was a disaster. Made me reconsider doing Louisville again in 2020. This is a better step, though 3 loops may get congested on some of those parts of the course.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I did it in 2015 and so that is the run course I was referencing, I didn't realize it had changed from that, even before this change. In general, I'm not a big fan of 3 loop course, they just get very crowded.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Louisville NEW, new run course (3 Loops) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like both directions will be on the path or even same road. Looks like you are on the street one way and path the other.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope there's timing mats at strategic points on the east end of that course...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
856ft elevation gain!?!
That’s 500more than last year :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Louisville and spend a lot of time on these roads/paths. While I'm not a fan of more loops, the "new new" course is a big improvement over the "old new" course, in my opinion. The segment dropped from the "old new" course (west of downtown) was narrow, was to have foot traffic both ways, and has very poor running surfaces -- broken pavement, roots under surfaces, and a particularly sketchy railroad crossing. I ran the course a few weeks ago and left thinking it was going to be a cluster on race day.

The new-and-improved route is much wider (even the path portions), has MUCH better running surfaces, and has many more fan-friendly viewing spots. I'll appreciated this last point on race day. I was expecting the west end of the old route to be pretty much devoid of spectators. I need all the encouragement I can get.

Just my opinion, but I think this is a very positive revision.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Louisville NEW, new run course (3 Loops) [SA52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight

Is it still pretty flat ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The new-and-improved route is much wider (even the path portions), has MUCH better running surfaces, and has many more fan-friendly viewing spots. I'll appreciated this last point on race day. I was expecting the west end of the old route to be pretty much devoid of spectators. I need all the encouragement I can get.

Without having ever seen it in person, that was my take. My family is looking forward to the New, new course.

Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Thanks for the insight

Is it still pretty flat ?

Yep. I'd call it flat. The section along marker 6 has a few rollers but none are steep or long. If I'm picturing it correctly, the little U-turn in that section is just a quick down/up. The "greenway" section (the line just to the right of the words "Eva Bandman Park and Cyclocross Venue") is a gradual down and pretty gradual up segment. Lastly, the U-turn section by marker 26 is a very gradual decline to the river and return. With the exception of the 3rd Street climb, the rest of the course is fairly flat...and we only have to do the 3rd Street climb 1x.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Next "new" run course will be a 26 lap loop around transition!
at least we have less chance of getting shot on this version than the prior new run course.
Much prefer the old run course, but think there are better options in general, but I understand they want to make the course as flat as possible and limit road closures.
Quote Reply