Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IRONMAN Kentucky ?
Quote | Reply
I was sent this email link this morning and thought I would post it for all ST.

Could it be true and swimming 2.4 miles in the Ohio river............wow. Have done the TriAmerica there and it was not too bad for 1.5k.......but we are talking 2.4m.

I will try to get more info.........it could be bogus but again it could be true.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15109661/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [BamaIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have heard this rumor in Louisville. At a cyclocross race this past weekend, the Louisville Sports Commission said that a huge announcement was going to be made Wednesday concerning a new major sporting event. As I type this my friend calls, announcement is tomorrow, 11:00 am at 4th Street Live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is fantastic! good for Louisville! it will be a beautiful bike course, i'm sure.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [sbinzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a huge gamble. A major storm event anywhere upstream in the days or week before the race and the Ohio River will quickly become a problem to swim in (unless they can and will control it with dams).

Interesting if it's true.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are other bodies of water there, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. If this is true, that would be AWESOME! That's practically in my backyard!

Swimming in the Ohio doesn't exactly excite me, but the bike and run will rock. Lots of short, steep stuff.

And given that I could dodge all the travel expenses (except half a tank of gas and maybe a one-night hotel room), I might actually be able to AFFORD this one!!

:)

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheLouisvilleChannel.com 6:31 p.m. EDT October 2, 2006

Louisville has been selected to host an Ironman triathlon satellite qualifying event. According to WLKY, Louisville has entered into a 5-year deal to host the event, with an official announcement coming on Wednesday.

The top finishers from the event will advance to the world championship event in Hawaii.

The Ironman Triathlon features three endurance events, including a two-mile swim, 112-mile bicycle ride and a full marathon, all within the same event.

The swim portion of the event will take place in the Ohio River.

The Ironman events typically sell out of their 2,500 entry slots within two hours, at a cost of $400 per entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth,

The WTC registered the domain name www.ironmankentucky.com last month:

http://www.whois.net/...=ironmankentucky.com

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know what time of the year they are planning for this race and will the first be in 2007 or 2008 if it is a spring race?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [CDN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Louisville in August. Not sure the exact date. Should be interesting...

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for mid to late May.

Obviously this would kill the Runovia iron at Lake Barkley State Park

http://www.headfirstperformance.com/Iron/annoucement.htm

but I suppose with only 5 full and 15 half finishers this year it probably has some issues anyway.

Did anybody on ST do this race?

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No voting as it will be in August.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
August. Hmm... That should be fun.

Accuweather.com says the normal high for August is 87F or so. Funny, I can remember several days in August riding in three-digit temps.

Guaranteed, it will be hot and humid.

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome (only 90 miles away for me)! Will be a HOT one though. Interesting choice. Perhaps a finish line on Derby Downs similar to LP in the ice skating oval? That would be pretty cool :)

Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that'll be great. if people thought Madison could get hot, stfb...

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Temp wise I suppose it would be good for those preparing for Hawaii.

About finishing at Churchill Downs:

1) It's in a pretty bad area

2) Have you ever been on a horse track? Running on it would not be fun...especially at the end of an Ironman.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [je] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check other states...looks like WTC has reserved the domain names for all different states....I checked a few, such as Wyoming and that is reserved also (through December of '07).

John F. Martin, Jr.
+1 (614) 403-0567
jfm225@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm surprised people aren't more excited, or more positive about this. so many of us live near...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]i'm surprised people aren't more excited, or more positive about this. so many of us live near...[/reply]

I was excited until I heard the month. I thought it would be a great way to do my first IM, stay at home, save a lot of money on food and housing, race on roads I know...and then heard August, which means one of two things:

1) Hopefully I will have a new coaching job and not be living here by then (hopefully before this Xmas)

2) Preseason starts around the 10th of August, so I wouldn't ba able to do it unless it was the first weekend of the month.

Yeah, I agree with you that I thought more people would be excited...but then ST is a pretty fickle crowd.

Last edited by: House: Oct 3, 06 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you imagine the locals around Louisville in a couple of years if cyclists invade their roads all summer like they do in Madison, which is known as one of the most cycling-friendly cities in the country?

What's a good nickname for the race? Irontucky?

It would be less than a 3-hour drive for me, but I'd be very hesitant to sign up for an IM there in August, due to the heat and because it is too much like home.

It's likely not for me, but I'm sure it will be a quality event and definitely a less expensive event for a lot of Midwesterners!
Last edited by: gordorefugee: Oct 3, 06 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [gordorefugee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually Louisville is already becoming a bike town and has some big plans:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/BikeLouisville/default.htm

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [gordorefugee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(i'm surprised people aren't more excited, or more positive about this. so many of us live near... )

A little over 3 hours away for me ......I'm excited !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN Kentucky ? [oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. It would be the closest IM to me (Memphis) and Louisville is a great city. Not sure about the Ohio River, but I guess if I can do swims in the Tennessee River, no reason to complain about the Ohio River.

Now having it in August would definitely be hot, but around here if you choose any other Fall IM, you have to train in that weather during your longest miles, so why not do the race...and pray for a cold front!
Last edited by: CAVU9tri: Oct 3, 06 6:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next