Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration
Quote | Reply
Because the Covid-19 situation has allowed me to telework and thus be able to put in more training time than ever before, I really REALLY want do an IM in 2021. I'm aiming for Lake Placid as if that gets cancelled I could still potentially do a later season race such as Chattanooga (I live in Michigan for those curious).

With that said Lake Placid has yet to open up registration, which seems surprising to me. Does anyone have a good idea of when races are going to be open for registration in 2021? Should I just register for an IM in 2020, knowing that said registration will just get pushed to next year?

I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [WatchJoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Covid-19 has obviously screwed up the normal race registration pattern but some races for 2021 are starting registration. Tulsa is open and Coure d’Alene is about to open up, sit tight and keep your eye on the prize.

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my mind, the question still is “is there going to be a race?”. I think most people are taking a wait and see approach. So the races shouldn’t sell out quickly. In short, IMO you have time to see how things play out before you tie up your money in a race that may never happen.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, 2021 races may sell out very quickly due to already having many people registered via deferrals.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a primary concern.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
In my mind, the question still is “is there going to be a race?”. I think most people are taking a wait and see approach. So the races shouldn’t sell out quickly. In short, IMO you have time to see how things play out before you tie up your money in a race that may never happen.

I think you may be surprised. Assuming races happen in 2021 - Take Placid as example: I'd say a large majority of folks who signed up Placid, have already rolled it over. And then I bet a large number of folks have already transferred 2020 races to Placid. Due to this, I could see traditionally popular races being very hard to get into... as they probably have significant numbers on the books already.

But who knows
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:

I think you may be surprised. Assuming races happen in 2021 - Take Placid as example: I'd say a large majority of folks who signed up Placid, have already rolled it over. And then I bet a large number of folks have already transferred 2020 races to Placid. Due to this, I could see traditionally popular races being very hard to get into... as they probably have significant numbers on the books already.

But who knows

Your second and last sentences prove my point. I hadn’t thought about deferrals.
IMO if when registration opens things are trending in a good direction and it’s at tier 3 - maybe pull the trigger. If things are the status quo and it’s tier 2, I’m going to wait and see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:

But who knows

Your second and last sentences prove my point. I hadn’t thought about deferrals.
IMO if when registration opens things are trending in a good direction and it’s at tier 3 - maybe pull the trigger. If things are the status quo and it’s tier 2, I’m going to wait and see.

Also -possible- that they may have smaller limits on the total number of entrants allowed for 'social distancing'?
Anyway, yeah, if there is a race you really want to do, I'd register as soon as you can and just accept that if it doesn't end up happening then you'll just be pre-paid for the next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be interesting to see what Ironman does with registration numbers and such. I think there is enough time to talk with the cities and towns to get A and B plans squared away for next year. For 70.3's they might spread the race out over 2 days, or expand transitions and do 15 person wave starts which would just extend road closures for a single day. I just can't see IM going into next year with the same plan as this year. It might end up screwing us a little (shortened courses, etc.) but they will get their 70.3 races on. I don't know about fulls though. Maybe smaller fields and earlier start times?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:

But who knows

Those registered for IM Maryland received the e-mail this week letting us know which races we could defer into. Lake Placid was on that list with an * and it said something like "limited slots available." So Placid is nearly full as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up about IMLP, adjusting expectations...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

If 70.3 races are any indication a few of the races I want to do in 2021 are already at Tier 3 registration prices. just before covid hit they were only at Tier 2 for the 2020 version even though registration had been open for months.

I personally don't see a lot of races having a lot of general entry slots for 2021 unless they are the least popular races.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Placid is part of the deferral club. It was offered to me when they cancelled Chatt 2020. It was offered when other Ironman races cancelled as well. No telling how full it already is. They are probably keeping it closed until all races have passed. You still have a couple Ironman 2020 races they haven't cancelled yet. This will probably turn into another debate thread but I have noticed, Here, that Covid is NOT on the news like it use to be. Kids are back in school, gyms are open, races have started back up, businesses can't get enough employees to serve/produce for their customers, restaurants have lines outside waiting to be seated, etc...People are definitely wearing face masks more often but it seems like life is returning to normal, like really pre-covid normal not a new normal. I would say races are 100% going to happen in 2021 and if you want into a race you should register or be watching for the Placid link to register as soon as it opens. I think I read Ohio voted this week to end all Covid restrictions immediately and fully open. It passed and moved to the Senate but the point is, people are ready to move forward.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One additional wrinkle, especially for races so close to the border is that us Canadians may not be able to travel. The race might well go ahead in 2021, but the border might still be closed.

If I'm trying to predict what will happen, my guess is that you'd wind up with a sizable contingent of international racers unable to attend. These people will likely defer until 2022 or another race. The result is that you may have slots open up at the last minute. Whether they'll offer them up as they become available or will have already baked these numbers into the currently available slots is anyone's guess.

FWIW, I was debating between IMLP and IMMT (I'm in Ottawa Canada) for next year, but I'll be trying to snag a IMMT slot since I dont want to hastle crossing a border.
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 30, 20 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to make this all about Covid, but while most places within the US cases are getting lower, I fully expect them to rise after Labor Day due to gatherings, schools reopenings, and colleges bringing back students to the dorms. Personally I think the latter two things should never happen, but I also don't have kids so I'm not under the same pressure as a lot of parents are.

Right now I'm hoping to get into Placid, Wisconsin, or Chattanooga (in that preference order). If I can't I'll just work harder at the 70.3 level and do a full IM some other year (hopefully).

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering if Ironman is just using a random number generator when they offer re-schedule options.
My IMMD starts was from a res-schedule from IMTX. Turns out IMTX is not even an option on my new list of race choices.
Has anyone tried to get heir deferral transferred to a race not on their original list?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
One additional wrinkle, especially for races so close to the border is that us Canadians may not be able to travel. The race might well go ahead in 2021, but the border might still be closed.

If I'm trying to predict what will happen, my guess is that you'd wind up with a sizable contingent of international racers unable to attend. These people will likely defer until 2022 or another race. The result is that you may have slots open up at the last minute. Whether they'll offer them up as they become available or will have already baked these numbers into the currently available slots is anyone's guess.

FWIW, I was debating between IMLP and IMMT (I'm in Ottawa Canada) for next year, but I'll be trying to snag a IMMT slot since I dont want to hassle crossing a border.

I realize you're not the Canadian government, but wondering what the domestic vibe is right now as it relates to opening borders and allowing US athletes to potentially compete at IMMT (without some kind of nutty 10 day quarantine in a hotel) Presumably I could enter the country with a negative PCR test result? My 2020 IMMT registration rolled over to 2021, and I'm trying to figure out if I should find a US race to avoid that additional hassle.

As a follow-up, are there any international IMs happening right now in countries closed to international travel? What has IM's policy been to allowing athlete to switch if the race happens, but the border is closed to that athlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how they sent out the Tri Club priority registration email but I still don't have options for Traverse City, considering was cancelled two months in advance.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I realize you're not the Canadian government, but wondering what the domestic vibe is right now as it relates to opening borders and allowing US athletes to potentially compete at IMMT (without some kind of nutty 10 day quarantine in a hotel) Presumably I could enter the country with a negative PCR test result? My 2020 IMMT registration rolled over to 2021, and I'm trying to figure out if I should find a US race to avoid that additional hassle.

The domestic vibe here in Canada is very much to keep that border closed until the US can control the pandemic and/or a vaccine is widely available. Officially, they're renewing the closure month to month, but when even our conservative Premiers (e.g. Doug Ford) are using US COVID stats to tout their own record, it can't be good for the border. They've even closed the so-called "Alaska loophole" that let people in if they said they're traveling through to Alaska. Even with a negative test, they wouldn't let you in at the moment.

My guess is that we'd need a vaccine to readily available before Triathlon becomes a valid reason to cross the border.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 2021 North America Registration [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Very helpful info. I think we’ll have a widely available vaccine by spring, but depending on how things are looking might sign up for something stateside with the option to defer to 2022 if it looks like our northern neighbor will admit US racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLP was on my list of options after they cancelled IM Maryland recently....albeit labeled as :high demand", implying if you want it, get on it now...
Quote Reply