Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If IRONMAN is committed to clean sport, why not test more (or even all) athletes in a race?

Quote:
There may always be a call for more testing, and there is no doubt it can be effective as a deterrent and for detection.
Quote:
...and that targeted testing is more effective than random.

In summary: people are asking for it, it is effective as a deterrent and for detection, and it is more effective than random.....but...naaaaa
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [imdtucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello imdtucker and All,

Costs?

What do you think is the problem that limits more testing?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello imdtucker and All,

Costs?

What do you think is the problem that limits more testing?

i guess they feel the bellow statement is an amazing ahievment in such a tightly fought market.

"IRONMAN now runs the largest, most comprehensive global anti-doping program in long distance triathlon."...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
[quote

"IRONMAN now runs the largest, most comprehensive global anti-doping program in long distance triathlon."...

HaHa this pretty much means nothing, not too many other groups would be doing long distance triathlon testing at all. Who else is there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew you could submit tips to USADA but did not know you could submit information directly to Ironman. Good to know.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
pk wrote:
Quote:

HaHa this pretty much means nothing, not too many other groups would be doing long distance triathlon testing at all. Who else is there?

The bold words could be deleted, really...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An age group woman was tested at Ironman Arizona. I've never heard of this happening before. She was a podium athlete and no word on results yet. I was happy to see this and am hoping it's a sign of more testing to come. I'm curious if anyone knows of other times age groupers have been tested post Ironman. I thought this was a positive step and am hoping for more.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not want to generate problems.
But I think many would give positive.
It is a personal opinion only.
Luckily I do not need it, I think I could never see my training partners again, nor go out with them, I do it as a hobby even though I break everything, I train more time than being with my family.
But I know people who give themselves everything. and they have no problem.
Also cycling teams that invited me to go with them for the TT theme but they take everything they find.
I do not blame anyone, everyone would have their reason why.
But I think many would give positive.
No offense to anyone personal opinion

P.D: I would die of shame to lie to my son, for a damn time.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [imdtucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly! The response below basically says: "Yadda, yadda, yadda, we are not going to test any more than what little we already do."

Quote:
If IRONMAN is committed to clean sport, why not test more (or even all) athletes in a race?

We’ve had a lot of conversation about that lately, especially as we listen to the athletes who have signed the petition circulating asking for IRONMAN to test all age-group podium athletes. We appreciate that they take clean sport just as seriously as we do. We really believe our athletes are key to the future of anti-doping. They are advocating for a zero-tolerance culture among their competitors and will continue to be a critical part of forcing social change through our I AM True outreach.
There may always be a call for more testing, and there is no doubt it can be effective as a deterrent and for detection. But it isn’t as easy as just putting more money toward more tests.

We believe strongly in the right tests, at the right times and that targeted testing is more effective than random. There has to be an investment in analysis and in following up on results and outcomes. You need to have systems to review analytical data, investigate and follow-up on intelligence and tips that are received, and have a robust results management process to ensure that athletes or athlete support personnel are effectively sanctioned. The IRONMAN Anti-Doping Program is invested in all of these components.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
An age group woman was tested at Ironman Arizona. I've never heard of this happening before. She was a podium athlete and no word on results yet. I was happy to see this and am hoping it's a sign of more testing to come. I'm curious if anyone knows of other times age groupers have been tested post Ironman. I thought this was a positive step and am hoping for more.

Yes. The last couple of years there have been AG'ers tested at IM events. Kona has pre race testing and post race testing. 70.3 worlds in Chatt last year had AG'ers tested after the race. IMTX has had AG'ers tested the last few years. I'm sure there are a few more events but those are the one's that I know for sure.

Edit: Then there was IMFL 2017 where someone was tested the day before the race. It was by USADA though.

https://www.usada.org/...ves-doping-sanction/

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Dec 5, 18 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/anti-doping/results-management/sanctions.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3-PIMyoBDwSOaudaOQIHqUM22OpQrfxnFi-T6RCjXR8CXSP0KPglaatvY

That is a very small list. 21 athletes since 2011. And Kevin Moats is on here twice!! I wouldn't call that a quality testing program. I'm actually surprised at how lean this list is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/anti-doping/results-management/sanctions.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3-PIMyoBDwSOaudaOQIHqUM22OpQrfxnFi-T6RCjXR8CXSP0KPglaatvY

That is a very small list. 21 athletes since 2011. And Kevin Moats is on here twice!! I wouldn't call that a quality testing program. I'm actually surprised at how lean this list is.

Its no secret they could do better. But in their defense, that list just encompasses those that tested positive under a test paid by Ironman (what we don't know is how many people were tested by Ironman and didn't test positive). USADA does their own testing as well. You can see all of those people who were tested (pass or fail) by USADA here....

https://www.usada.org/...thlete-test-history/

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN's Anti-Doping Director Answers Your Questions [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just took a look at the swimmers tests, 15 each for Ledecky and Caleb Dressel, followed by 14 for Nathan Adrian in 2018 alone. Seems like a bit of overkill on those 3, assume they also got tested outside of USADA a bunch of times too. But it is comforting that the biggest stars men and women are being tested every few weeks it looks like, so no off season funny business..
Last edited by: monty: Dec 5, 18 13:39
Quote Reply