Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM tubie spares?
Quote | Reply
one or two?., maybe carry one and one in special needs bag?
Quote Reply
Re: IM tubie spares? [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two. i can here the crying 'extra wieght!' but come on unless your going for a pro win the extra couple hundered grams of insurance are worth it. the idea is to complete the distance and enjoy iy. nothing fun about riding the broom wagon.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: ultra-poser: Apr 20, 03 2:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carrying two tubular spares is just reallly bad mojo. Go for one and keep another in special needs. I am sure someone will pipe in with a horror story, but that is my story and I am standing by it.

It may well be that no spares are best. I get flats only when I am carrying a spare.

Flat in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: IM tubie spares? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New tires a one spare for me.
Thanks Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: IM tubie spares? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a horror story, but a good one nonetheless. Two weeks ago, I rode in a 100k ride that I was treating as a time trial with a new tri race set-up as a 1/2 IM race prep. I had my Zipp 404's with tubulars on. I only had one spare and one CO2. My rear (which I had pumped to around 130 psi immediately prior to the ride) began to lose air early (I could feel it sliding out on hard corners). It finally flatted at around 25 miles. I changed it, but the new one (literally brand new) flatted right away. There I was, stranded. A friend happened by right at that moment. He was on clinchers, so no help with the tire. However, he had a spare CO2. I figured the tire I started with was at least only a slow leak (or so I thought), so I changed back to that tire, and used the spare CO2. Oddly, the tire held solid air pressure for the remaining 35+ miles.

So what is the point? This experience makes me wonder if, with tubulars, 1 spare and 2 CO2s are the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: IM tubie spares? [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I carry two CO2 cartridges. That way I can try to blow up the tire once, still be able to change the tire out. Of course, when I did flat at Lake Placid, it just was an additional waste of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say two only because tristeve thought of it. steve if you thought about it it means you are worried. take two. either both with you or one on you and the other in the bag. it is more mental. that doubt will be put to rest. then you can worry about the other million things to worry about.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply