Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM training after a breakup [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]

Stelvio wrote:
If you forgot to hit reset and activate until mile 5 how can NickG confirm that the start time on your file would be accurate based on the finish of your bike split.

I do see your Garmin 500 on the bike pics so that part is plausible.

Dude, it's all I've got? I didn't magically fly to mile 5. The Garmin file shows that my pace matches and the course lines up. Garmin connect won't pull up for me, but I am sure the start time would correspond to me being about 5 miles in off my exit from T2 at the same pace.

I mean really, what else do you want?

Re: IM training after a breakup [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]

I believe this is correct. It also squares with race time and pace at the first bike split.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: IM training after a breakup [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]

this is one of those no-win situations... all signs point to a one-loop swim, a long, under-trained bike, and walking one loop on the run.

Thing is, they're just signs, and we'll probably never know the real truth and there's no way for the OP to prove it one way or the other.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: IM training after a breakup [iJen0311] [ In reply to ]

you really shouldnt feel bad at all... you got a better boyfriend, and you survived a training wreck (which makes you a badass) and you've completed an ironman. i only know cuz i've read this whole thread cuz its basically stuck to the top of the front page...before today i had no idea.

dont let a couple computer dorks take you down.

Honestly, it's really hurtful.

I get that, I really do and I bet it's annoying to say the very least to go through.

Unfortunately, the nature of a segment of ST can be like this...questioning everything. Folks would naturally look up your splits, just out of curiousity....and then when that looks screwy, it goes (went) downhill from there.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Kudos to you for coming back on the thread, however, to do your best to clarify.

Re: IM training after a breakup [SC_NICK] [ In reply to ]

SC_NICK wrote:

Like these guys?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: IM training after a breakup [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]

nah, the shorter-than-normal swim was followed by a 1.3hr T1, so it's just the run everybody's looking at now

EDIT: and Tim Andrus says that's legit too

-Jason
Last edited by: jasondubose: Nov 8, 12 11:51

Re: IM training after a breakup [zoom] [ In reply to ]

zoom wrote:
Those who followed the IMLou's swim times earlier this year can attest to the funky swim time, where it seemed like it was reporting the clock time and not chip time. It was later on corrected. That Sportstats guy even came into the forum to tell everyone to hold their horses while they worked out the glitch. The technology isn't perfect.
Having timed a couple of races myself I have to say that it is unfortunate but S*** happens. They miss times in this case it looks like the maps missed you the first time around and picked you up the second time around. How and why? Lots of reasons it could happen. With the bib chips, numbers on the back don't read all the time, miss most people going faster. If the chips are wet they are sometimes less effective, or if they are pressed against your skin. Some of this depends on the technology: low frequency such as champion chip systems don't work well if the chips are in your pocket or on your arm distance, but the lower frequencies deal with insulating disturbances better. Higher frequency stuff (such as chrono track systems) don't work as well with insulating disturbances but without such blockages work so well that the chip starts being read at upwards of 30ft away.

Congrats on your race!

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access

start time on your garmin shows 5:33(cst)

21.xxmiles

if you do the math.

it works out.

i had this all typed up once, but the computer screwed up, now you just have to believe me.

Tim

Tim

Re: IM training after a breakup [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]

ericM35-39 wrote:
SC_NICK wrote:

Like these guys?

Godwin!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rum.cgi?post=3966395

Are you really comparing these two situations? Really?

TimAndrus wrote:

21.xxmiles

if you do the math.

it works out.

i had this all typed up once, but the computer screwed up, now you just have to believe me.

Tim

Thank you.

Jen- When I saw you ON THE RUN COURSE, you looked like you were hauling ass! Sorry I didn't come find you after the finish line, but was not doing well after my crash. Did we get an answer on T3 :)

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/

Re: IM training after a breakup [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]

zoom wrote:

Some of this depends on the technology: low frequency such as champion chip systems don't work well if the chips are in your pocket or on your arm distance, but the lower frequencies deal with insulating disturbances better. Higher frequency stuff (such as chrono track systems) don't work as well with insulating disturbances but without such blockages work so well that the chip starts being read at upwards of 30ft away.

Congrats on your race!

Oh, I didn't realize this. I had the chip stuck under the shoulder strap of my race top during the run (the detectives missed that from the photos). But since it was still picking up splits, I didn't think that would have been the issue.
Last edited by: iJen0311: Nov 8, 12 11:41

Re: IM training after a breakup [OchAye] [ In reply to ]

damnnit, if i turned this in a "he who shalt not be mentioned forum", im very sorry.

didn't mean to at all.

Re: IM training after a breakup [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]

1fastbeaver wrote:
Jen- When I saw you ON THE RUN COURSE, you looked like you were hauling ass! Sorry I didn't come find you after the finish line, but was not doing well after my crash. Did we get an answer on T3 :)

I forgot about you! I should have called you in here earlier. Are you feeling better?
Last edited by: iJen0311: Nov 8, 12 11:43

Don't worry about all of these people you know you did it properly and thats all that matters. Congratulations on your finish.

TimAndrus wrote:

21.xxmiles

if you do the math.

it works out.

Tim

Just so we are clear:

Tim is saying he saw the Garmin file that shows a 21.XX mile run starting at 5:33. So 21.XX mile at 9.25 min / mile = 3hr 15min (all of this is approximate). That puts a finishing time of 8:45 PM. I think this all adds up (again major rounding but whatever).

SO either

1) Tim is in on it
2) There is no "it"

I choose door number 2.

Re: IM training after a breakup [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
TimAndrus wrote:

21.xxmiles

if you do the math.

it works out.

Tim

Just so we are clear:

Tim is saying he saw the Garmin file that shows a 21.XX mile run starting at 5:33. So 21.XX mile at 9.25 min / mile = 3hr 15min (all of this is approximate). That puts a finishing time of 8:45 PM. I think this all adds up (again major rounding but whatever).

SO either

1) Tim is in on it
2) There is no "it"

I choose door number 2.

i have the screen shot

been doing math for a while

I was a doubter in the begining

Tim

Tim

TimAndrus wrote:
i have the screen shot

been doing math for a while

I was a doubter in the begining

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Re: IM training after a breakup [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]

1fastbeaver wrote:

Think she is staying away from a public answer on this one. I asked a few posts back.

Re: IM training after a breakup [OldFart] [ In reply to ]

OldFart wrote:
Think she is staying away from a public answer on this one. I asked a few posts back.

It was worth the drive.

BOOOOOMMMMMM!

THREAD OVER.

Then she needs to be unDQd if that's the case.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

iJen0311 wrote:
zoom wrote:

Some of this depends on the technology: low frequency such as champion chip systems don't work well if the chips are in your pocket or on your arm distance, but the lower frequencies deal with insulating disturbances better. Higher frequency stuff (such as chrono track systems) don't work as well with insulating disturbances but without such blockages work so well that the chip starts being read at upwards of 30ft away.

Congrats on your race!

Oh, I didn't realize this. I had the chip stuck under the shoulder strap of my race top during the run (the detectives missed that from the photos). But since it was still picking up splits, I didn't think that would have been the issue.

That would do it! On the bike your torso is physically closer to the ground which could explain those splits getting picked up. On the second half of the run, perhaps you moved it? Or perhaps it wasn't tucked in as much, quite a number of things could happen really. I would tell them this information as well as sending them the GPS file mentioned earlier in order to get it sorted out.

There is a lot of setup put into the timing of races it isn't just wear the chip and go as most people think, errors happen. There is a lot of thought in planning in setting up how each mat is going to report and how it will be interpreted by the software. At the average race I timed we captured about 95% of participants times at each checkpoint. We did better on the finish simply because it is the most important time to capture so we have more antennae devices on the finish.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access

iJen0311 wrote:
OldFart wrote:

It was worth the drive.

I would like to verify this. Can you please send me a screen shot. : )

Prev Next